Flyers and the Trade Deadline

Guest Bertmega

Flyers at the Trade Deadline  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that the Flyers Make a deal on or before the 27th, what move will likely be made?

• Big Ticket Defender causing a major roster shake up?
    • Depth Defender for a late round pick?
    • Big Ticket Center causing a major roster shake up?
    • Depth forward?
    • Salary dump to make room for the off season?
    • Stand pat and let the season play out?

I think the Flyers will cave to media pressure about their defense and make a move. I would rather they stand pat. If they make a move I am hoping they go for a depth defender for a late round pick but I expect they will make a roster shake up (i.e. JVR and pick(s)) for someone more substantial.

This isn't the year we go for the cup. I think we are good and we will be competitive in the post season but I don't see us in the finals. This season has already been more competitive and intersting than I thought it would be (I expected the worst). I would hate to trade away someone like JVR and some picks for a rental or someone with a huge contract that ultimately won't change our fate this season. If we want/need that Pronger replacement then I say we go for it during the offseason.

@Hexy27

I agree too that this is not our year and should stand pat or clear some cap space for the free agency. There are a few decent UFA's available: http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011/11/09/2012-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-defensemen/

And the RFA's: http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011/11/08/2012-nhl-free-agents-restricted-by-team/

I have a feeling like you mentioned that they will make a move that will only set them back.

I'd favor a smaller move to get a depth D-man. Specifically, a guy I've wanted them to pick up for a couple years. Greg Zanon from the Wild. He hits a ton, blocks a ton of shots, hardly gets penalized, not too expensive (2.0 m) I think the Flyers best course is to see what the options are in the new CBA (read buyouts) and go from there.

OK, I am surprised nobody has thought of this one yet. :rolleyes:

Briere to Buffalo which gives Leino his old linemate back to get him going and former team captain back in the fold.

To Flyers Tyler Myers which gives us the Young D-Man we covet as well as a little cap space. ($5,500,000 for TM vs $6,500,000 for DB)

Wouldn't Ricks head explode with that trade!! Now that I type this out Is Tyler Myers worth $5.5??

Tyler Myers isn't worth 5.5m, yet, but he could blossom into that range. He does have a 7 yr deal that starts next season with a NMC and modified NTC in the final three years, BUT those clauses may be null and void if he is traded before they kick in. Not a totally crazy thought.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=728