Game 50: Hurricanes at Flyers; 2/21/22 @ 3PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are the underdog (+150) against a very strong Carolina team.  We are 8-12-4 at home, which doesn't bode well against one of the best teams in the league. Can we avoid a fifth straight loss?  Here is the lineup:

23 Oskar Lindblom - 28 Claude Giroux - 89 Cam Atkinson
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 11 Travis Konecny
71 Max Willman - 48 Morgan Frost - 20 Gerry Mayhew
76 Isaac Ratcliffe - 39 Patrick Brown - 17 Zack MacEwen

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 70 Rasmus Ristolainen
3 Keith Yandle - 24 Nick Seeler

79 Carter Hart
[35 Martin Jones]

PP1: Giroux, van Riemsdyk, Atkinson, Konecny, Provorov
PP2: Laughton, Mayhew, Lindblom, Ratcliffe, Yandle

I guess Mayhew is being rewarded with a move to the third line.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

We are 8-12-4 at home, which doesn't bode well

"doesn't bode well" indeed! That's certainly being classy about it. I'm afraid the Flyers will get shellacked this afternoon. But anything is possible esp in these weird afternoon games. Flyers did work as a team much better the last time out, and against a good team too. But the 'Canes are another level up from the Caps. Guess it'll all fall on Hart...as it has all year. The Flyers can't score enough to erase their inevitable D lapses so I imagine we'll see a 5th consecutive loss today.

11 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

"doesn't bode well" indeed! That's certainly being classy about it. I'm afraid the Flyers will get shellacked this afternoon. But anything is possible esp in these weird afternoon games. Flyers did work as a team much better the last time out, and against a good team too. But the 'Canes are another level up from the Caps. Guess it'll all fall on Hart...as it has all year. The Flyers can't score enough to erase their inevitable D lapses so I imagine we'll see a 5th consecutive loss today.

I'll be at work for today and tomorrow.  We have to view the remaining games as audition.  On that score, I wish they'd get the trades over with sooner than later and get on with it.  It looks like Braun is out the window along with our captain.  That would probably bring York up unless we want a steady diet of Seeler/Connaughton, which doesn't make a lot of sense for development.   If Brown is in, I wonder who gets taken out?

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Since I can no longer post how much I hate Jake in every game thread (still do FYI) this will be my obligatory post for every game the remainder of this shitshow season

black sails i give up GIF by STARZ

Wasn't sure if that was waving the white flag or the Captain going down with his ship...ie Claude Giroux.

:BrownBag:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, Mr. Mayhew has scored again.  Is he a late bloomer or a flash-in-the-pan?  He is earning his keep. 

When they trade Giroux they should make him Captain - I'm not playing that kid brings it and hustles all over the ice what better actual example do you need that that kid?

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

When they trade Giroux they should make him Captain - I'm not playing that kid brings it and hustles all over the ice what better actual example do you need that that kid?

There's a lot of truth to what you say.  I suspect Laughton would be first choice given seniority, but you have to like Mayhew's worth ethic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

There's a lot of truth to what you say.  I suspect Laughton would be first choice given seniority, but you have to like Mayhew's worth ethic. 

I don't know about Laughton.

To put into perspective the kid has two less goals than Konecny and is signed for  a fraction of the price.

This kid has earned his stay in the lineup the rest of the year as far as I can tell.

In fact I signed him to a deal for next year even.

He embodies the lunch pail type of attitude that this whole squad can learn from.

Sure he isn't the most talented guy on the team but man he goes out works for his.

What more could you ask for?

Man you put his hustle into JVR's body and he would be one of the top scorers in the NHL.

Kid can play.

Nice to see Jake Konecny quit back checking on the game winning goal.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Maybe the Captain will give him a ear full when  they get to the locker room...

...oh wait nevermind he is a vet now and they only put rookies on blast.

No shame in today's loss, this was a trap game for the Canes. Yeo  should pull the goalie in tie games, he doesn't have the skill depth to compete in overtime or a shootout. I actually watched this game to see the Canes, usually they are fun to watch. This Flyer team has 3 guys that might be contributors to a Cup run in 4 or 5 years. The rest should be traded. It's good to dream. The bozos are probably still thinking they are a piece or 2 away from a run at a wildcard.

My take after watching the highlights and reading the news:

1. Jones didn't lose us the game but might have stolen a win with one more save.

2. Our defensive lapses near the crease are remarkable and I wish they'd trade Risto.

3.  Isaac Ratcliffe could be an important piece moving forward. His size and mobility are impressive.

4. MacEwen, Brown, and Mayhew bring energy and enthusiasm. 

5. Our PP is a liability that reverses momentum.

The Flyers outshot and outhit the Canes, to no avail.  How often have we seen that over the last few years?  I agree with flyer4ever--this wasn't a shameful loss.  We don't have the troops.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My take after watching the highlights and reading the news:

1. Jones didn't lose us the game but might have stolen a win with one more save.

2. Our defensive lapses near the crease are remarkable and I wish they'd trade Risto.

3.  Isaac Ratcliffe could be an important piece moving forward. His size and mobility are impressive.

4. MacEwen, Brown, and Mayhew bring energy and enthusiasm. 

5. Our PP is a liability that reverses momentum.

The Flyers outshot and outhit the Canes, to no avail.  How often have we seen that over the last few years?  I agree with flyer4ever--this wasn't a shameful loss.  We don't have the troops.  

Radcliffe who didn't put up big numbers for the Phantoms looks more like an NHL player than Frost and some of the higher rated guys. He could be the big break the Flyers have needed for a long time.

If we can get two NHL ready skilled players for Giroux, preferably a good right handed dmen for the second pair, then we can unload Risto and maybe Morin can be  on the third pair and replace that lost physical presence. This could be a big leap forward for us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice to see Jake Konecny quit back checking on the game winning goal.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Maybe the Captain will give him a ear full when  they get to the locker room...

...oh wait nevermind he is a vet now and they only put rookies on blast.

Has anyone seen enough of Brockk Boeser play? Would a Konecny for Boeser be a good move? I haven't watched much hockey lately especially other teams.

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Has anyone seen enough of Brockk Boeser play? Would a Konecny for Boeser be a good move? I haven't watched much hockey lately especially other teams.

I haven't seen Boeser play enough lately and he needs a new contract but i have seen enough of TK and his lackadaisical play to say i wouldn't say hell no but i would listen to the offer for real.

I do like Brock's game more the last time i really watched him but what kid of contract he would want may change my mind.

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

TK and his lackadaisical play

I don't get what happened to him.

Was it cashing in on the contract?

Was it the influence of the room? The coach? The organization*? The losing?

Guy's game has fallen off a cliff.

Is he even salvageable at this point?

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't get what happened to him.

I don't either. Really don't.

I don't think it is any one thing you listed but it is the combo of it all.

And it was synergistic....and it has tainted all the guys like Hart, Ivan and Farabee the same.

The one thing i can't say with the ones i just listed (and with this said i'm not saying they never displayed it - just that i hadn't witnessed it and that too could be from me just not watching too) but i haven't really seen them quit like i have seen many times with TK.

And i all seem to start when Oskar was diagnosed with cancer and he along with Coots at that time were so on fire and after they told us all he fell off a cliff and it was on full display that playoff run when the bowed out vs the Isles that whole playoff run he was snakebitten and really has never been the same since confidence wise.

All that while watching the organization do what they did with his BFF Nolan Patrick i think the way they handled all that rubbed him the wrong way and he had to keep quiet on it all being the good soldier.

It would be the equivalent of my employer doing that to one of my good friends i work with, when it hits home that hey they did that to him if they get the chance they will do it to me if it comes to it.

The whole handling of the situation and how it looks (i'm sure he seen some stuff that made him mad) and i'm not saying they could/should have handling it differently but they wanted to wash their hands of the whole Patrick drama will he play??

Will he not play they just wanted to move on and did and that has affected TK right or wrong he is human.

That is why i suggested i would be ok moving on from him for the right deal hell maybe even helping send him to Vegas if that would make him happy to rejoin them.

But i want a good deal to do so i don't want to move him just to move him because i think right now you would be selling real low on him. But i am listening to offers...and i do like the the kid but something needs to give...and well they need to blow it up and he too could be tainted.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is why i suggested i would be ok moving on from him for the right deal hell maybe even helping send him to Vegas if that would make him happy to rejoin them.

Dude, he's going to Montreal for Petry...

Then the Habs will flip him for picks and prospects.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Annoyed 1