Report: Rick Nash Available and Gives GM Small List

Guest Pegulaville26

@Pegulaville26

At would be interesting to see the teams that he would be okay with.

Funny to read the comments on that article. Looks as the every eklund wannabe has traded every player in the league for Nash.

Carter was traded to help Nash. Now if Nash leaves, Carter will be the president at the NHL OSU frat house which, I do believe, is his forte after all.

This could help Jeff settle in a little more.

Dont know where Nash is headed if anywhere, any team whose best player is a winger is in trouble, you build down the middle for stanley cups. Wings have the best record in the game, winning with Datyuk, Z, Helm down the middle. Our wingers are lead by Franzen but other than that are very average (I admit I hope for an upgrade at the deadline). I see teams lead by Ovie or Iginlia ir Nash or Kovie and know that they arent going anywhere more often than that. Look at the best teams, center, a top stud defensemen and an above average goalie wins cups. Look at all the most recent cup winners and how they were built.... Chicago was kind of an exception with Toews leading the way, they still had Hossa, Kane sharp and big buff as well as Versteeg on wing and very ordinary goaltending but they were the exception.

With Rick Nash I want to say buyer beware here. Let me throw some stats at you. Rick Nash 649 GP 227 goals 250 assists 527 points. Thomas Vanek 522 GP 224 goals 205 assists 429 points. If you project Vanek out into 649 games he passes the stats that Nash has right now. Vanek is 6'2 207 lbs and Nash is 6'4 216 lbs. Almost the same player/career. I love Vanek he's my favorite player, but is anyone paying a top 6 forward/dman (or 2), a top prospect, and a high draft pick for Thomas Vanek? Also Nash makes 7.8 million for the next 6 years.

With Rick Nash I want to say buyer beware here. Let me throw some stats at you. Rick Nash 649 GP 227 goals 250 assists 527 points. Thomas Vanek 522 GP 224 goals 205 assists 429 points. If you project Vanek out into 649 games he passes the stats that Nash has right now. Vanek is 6'2 207 lbs and Nash is 6'4 216 lbs. Almost the same player/career. I love Vanek he's my favorite player, but is anyone paying a top 6 forward/dman (or 2), a top prospect, and a high draft pick for Thomas Vanek? Also Nash makes 7.8 million for the next 6 years.

First let me say that I love Vanek. He is high on my wish list of players I would love to see the wings pick up at the deadline. But let me make this clear, he is no Nash. Nash is one of the top ten Wingers in hockey, a leader as well. He has been cursed by an inept organization and often throughout his career he is the only player on the team who knows how to put the puck in the net.

Dont know where Nash is headed if anywhere, any team whose best player is a winger is in trouble, you build down the middle for stanley cups.

This is a somewhat strange statement, coming from someone who's a fan of the team that Gordie Howe played for. ;)

I agree that you want to build down the middle, but having a great winger doesn't hurt.

This is a somewhat strange statement, coming from someone who's a fan of the team that Gordie Howe played for. ;)

I agree that you want to build down the middle, but having a great winger doesn't hurt.

Hey stay off old Gordie, lol. I am speaking of the modern game since the lockout, if you arent strong at center your not going to win.

It was the same then, teams had great centers like Beliveau, Clarke, Mikita, Sid Abel... but it didn't hurt to have great wingers like Richard, Howe, Hull, etc... Obviously it wouldn't make sense for Nash to end up with another struggling team but put him on a line with Crosby, Malkin, or Datsyuk (or Claude Giroux :)) , and other teams will have a problem.

I know offense is NOT the Flyers problem this season, BUT if you have a chance to snag a forward of Nash's caliber, i think you have to do it. If the Flyers are on his list, I'd gladly give up JVR/Schenn for Nash. The salary would be another issue however. Maybe trading Timonen for picks/young prospect?

@JackStraw - my unsolicited opinion on the whole centre/winger thing is slightly different: the best wingers were often originally centers.

Centers need to be smarter, more complete hockey players and therefore are better hockey players, generally. Let's face it, wingers can be dumb. Like defencemen, but without the ability to turn and generally skate backwards well enough.

At would be interesting to see the teams that he would be okay with.

Funny to read the comments on that article. Looks as the every eklund wannabe has traded every player in the league for Nash.

Carter was traded to help Nash. Now if Nash leaves, Carter will be the president at the NHL OSU frat house which, I do believe, is his forte after all.

This could help Jeff settle in a little more.

Nash to LA for Mike Richards.......the beer is on ice.

I was with you until you started calling defensemen "dumb". As an old defenseman, I resent that. Nicklas Lidstrom just texted me and told me he resents it too.

Jack, you are a very knowledgeable hockey guy. I enjoy your commentary. I see you are from The Bay State. I hale from Franklin, went to high school in Framingham in late 60's. Grew up with the Bruins and The Chief.

Jack, you are a very knowledgeable hockey guy. I enjoy your commentary. I see you are from The Bay State. I hale from Franklin, went to high school in Framingham in late 60's. Grew up with the Bruins and The Chief.

Bear, I'm actually from Philly but just moved to the Boston area this summer after two years in Maine and 25 in DC before that. I'm getting to know I95 like the back of my hand. I remember those Bruins though... hated them with a passion. Except for #4, the best I've ever seen.

Bear, I'm actually from Philly but just moved to the Boston area this summer after two years in Maine and 25 in DC before that. I'm getting to know I95 like the back of my hand. I remember those Bruins though... hated them with a passion. Except for #4, the best I've ever seen.

Thanks Jack. My Dad was from Presque Isle, Maine, and I spent about 5 years working in the DC area. I am in sales so I can relate to I-95. #4. The Greatest. Transformational to the game.