A look back on the Richie trade..

Guest KingSkaggz24

I remeber when Mike Richards was traded to Los Angeles there were lots of Flyers fans upset that you gave away your captain away "for just" Wayne Simmonds "A 3rd Liner" and a "Good Prospect".

Are you guys happy what you got in return? Did you guys underrate Simmonds a bit?

Mike Richards

49 Games

14 Goals

14 Assists

28 Points

+1

Wayne Simmonds

56 Games

18 Goals

16 Assists

34 Points

+0

Brayden Schenn

28 Games

8 Goals

3 Assists

11 Points

Pretty incredible. I'm really happy with the two guys we got in the trade. Simmonds is having a career year while Richie is having a down year on a low-scoring Kings team. Hard to believe with that firepower that the Kings don't score more.

Add the Carter trade, and Homer looks like a genius. All 4 pieces are performing incredibly well.

@KingSkaggs24

Simmonds has brought WAY more to the table than i was expecting, i like that he's fast, works hard, will drop the mitts and goes where the men go to score. i reckon he just needed a change of scenery to take the next step.

Schenn is finally looking like "the best player not in the NHL" he had a horrific start here but he's a confident kid with size and skill, i think we'll like him more and more.

Richards is a hell of a hockey player when he's healthy, the problem is , he is not big but plays a big man's game, unless he learns to protect himself a little more by avoiding some of the big hits he will never be as effective as he was from 06- 10, where he was one of the top 3 2 way players in the game.

i hope he gets whatever was wrong with him here out of his system and has success in LA.

@brelic I remember many, many panic threads during the summer which asked the basic and fair question....where are the goals going to come from? Who will pick up the slack left in the wake of Richards and Carter being dealt? Now, months later we know, it was not JVR and Danny B picking up the slack, it was a NHL leading 38 goals from rookies and career years from Simmonds and Talbot....with respectable contributions from Voracek as well. If you told me at the start of the season Simmonds would outscore Richards I'd straight up laugh at you, but then again, I didn't expect the Kings to be LAST in goals either....lol.

@jammer2

i hope we're able to re-sign Jake, he's been a lot better that I was expecting as well. seems to me like he's on the verge of being a very difficult player to play against, he can be really strong on the puck and when he's going good it seems to find him....hopefully jagr will teach him how to use his backside and reach a little better....what i don't get though is how he doesn't have chemistry with a lot of guys with similar high end skill sets, i thought for sure he'd be really good with briere, but that hasn't happend.

@brelic I remember many, many panic threads during the summer which asked the basic and fair question....where are the goals going to come from? Who will pick up the slack left in the wake of Richards and Carter being dealt? Now, months later we know, it was not JVR and Danny B picking up the slack, it was a NHL leading 38 goals from rookies and career years from Simmonds and Talbot....with respectable contributions from Voracek as well. If you told me at the start of the season Simmonds would outscore Richards I'd straight up laugh at you, but then again, I didn't expect the Kings to be LAST in goals either....lol.

I really thought they'd have a harder time scoring goals this year, but that would be offset by our top level goaltending. LMAO! Wow, couldn't be more polar opposite!!

Yeah, our rookies have really shined, and all our acquisitions (except for one really really expensive one) have performed incredibly!

I'd be ok with trading Briere or Timonen now, on the downsides of their careers with contracts they can no longer justify (though Kimo is having a super year).

I miss Richards on the PK. The current state of the Flyers' PK is pretty damned awful. If Richards was still a Flyer, I guarantee (such that I can) that he has similar numbers as Simmonds and Schenn combined, BUT the Flyers penalty kill doesn't give up 3 brotherchucking power play goals in one game against one of their most hated rivals and then, with a franchise record on the line, give up a couple more.

Right now, the past couple weeks, the Flyers are a worse team without Richards.

@KingSkaggz24

"Did LA underrate Simmonds a bit?"

There, I fixed it for you.

While Richards is a tremendous all around center. Getting Schenn AND Simmonds is a boon for the Flyers- in many ways.

Schenn has had a rough go for the first 1/2, but now that he is healthy, he is showing flashes of his potential (much more so than he did for LA and the farm team). Simmonds has found a team / system that fits his style of play. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that he is not shy and protects his teammates just endears him to the Philly faithful.

Would you like to talk about the BIGGER STEAL of the past summer: Voracek AND Couturier for Jeff Carter??

P.S. You forgot that the Flyers have LA's 2012 2nd round pick in a very deep draft.

lol, i saw the title and thought we were about to get weepy about mike ricci leaving in the lindros trade.

Lol I see you beat me to the punch on that line. When it comes to Mike Ricci I do get weepy about 2 things. 1 is the fact that we drafted him ahead of Jagr. 2 is the fact that Ricci is a SC champion and Lindros is not.

Edited by Poulin20

Where are the goals going to come from? I still hope the first line and Briere will get back on track.

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Where are they GOING to come from? Many of the same places they have been, I'll wager:

Flyers lead the league in goals scored; second in assists; and are second in GFA by .07 (to Boston).

Flyers have nine guys with 10 or more goals.Then Voracek at 9 and Schenn with 8 (in 28 games).

Detroit has 10. The Rangers have five.

Vancouver - hardly a team one would say was inept offensively - has eight (with Edler at 7).

Rad: I was not talking about overallbut more on the line of What have you done for me lately? you have to see that it is not the same offense as earler?

They have 19 goals in 7 games in February (shut out against the Isles(!?) - 3.16 GFA in others (slightly ahead of season average)

They had 40 in 13 January games - 3.07 GFA (right in line with their season average)

To compare, they have 43 in 13 December games.

I just don't think "goal scoring" is as high on the list of the team's problems as team defense and goaltending (the latter of which has been improving somewhat despite the former)

Don't call me Shirley or late for dinner.

:-)

@KingSkaggz24 There is still lots of love for Gags on this board as well!

Gags and Richie. Both those guys bled O&B. I'll tell you, I'm pulling for the Kings in the west man. Not just for that avatar of yours, but I like the ex-Flyers on your team. Richie didn't finish well here, but the guy was a warrior. He's a great 2 way player.