Rinaldo v Kronwall

Guest doom88

Schenn and Simmonds for Richards. Bet the Kings would love to take that one back. As a wings fan watching the game the other night I really felt Schenn was the best forward on the ice the other night.

Rinaldo deserved his suspension. Two fines last week then this chump hit on Eriksson. He is the worst kind of goon in the game today and wont be around long because he doesnt look like he can play.

Losing Pronger killed your team. Timmonen called out the guys the other day but the front office needs called out for not making a move to improve the defense.I am not a fan of Bryz or Bob but if you guys dont add someone nasty in front of them you will be a first round out. I keep hearing Schenn for JVR and think that is wishful thinking by insane leaf fans but there has to be a defenseman or two out there who can be had without giving up a top young player like him.....

Nice try hiding that. Kronwall's hit was just as 'bad' and you know it.

@doom88

do people who say rinaldo can't play watch hockey ? kid's got speed, okay hands, hits like a guy 2 times his size... whats not to like or at least recoginze. okay he's not going to win the hart or lady bing trophies but he has a place in the nhl, if matt "the flying elbow" cooke has a place ...

Rinaldo is not a hockey player. Last year at Adirondack he had 3 goals and 331 penalty minutes. The year before in the OHL he had ten goals and 255 penalty minutes. This year his first in the nhl 1 goal and 156 penalty minutes with a team that is struggling to kill penalties. He is small, bounces around like a pin ball and provides energy but I think at best he could be Sean Avery but I doubt he will have half of the career Avery had.

Let me address the Kronwall hit, it was clean, he is the best open ice hitter in all of hockey. You come along the boards with your head down and the puck your gonna get nailed by Kronwall or Stuart. I love those type of players, that is why I always grudgingly admired Pronger, he KILLED the wings, but he plays the game hard and viscious and in the grey area of the rules but wow I would have loved to have seen him in a Wings uniform all these years. That is what the Flyers are missing this year and I actually root for the Flyers in the East and hope they can find the right defenseman at the deadline. Problem is other than guys like Tyutin and Lydman I dont know who is gonna be out there.

Rinaldo is not a hockey player. Last year at Adirondack he had 3 goals and 331 penalty minutes. The year before in the OHL he had ten goals and 255 penalty minutes. This year his first in the nhl 1 goal and 156 penalty minutes with a team that is struggling to kill penalties. He is small, bounces around like a pin ball and provides energy but I think at best he could be Sean Avery but I doubt he will have half of the career Avery had.

Let me address the Kronwall hit, it was clean, he is the best open ice hitter in all of hockey. You come along the boards with your head down and the puck your gonna get nailed by Kronwall or Stuart. I love those type of players, that is why I always grudgingly admired Pronger, he KILLED the wings, but he plays the game hard and viscious and in the grey area of the rules but wow I would have loved to have seen him in a Wings uniform all these years. That is what the Flyers are missing this year and I actually root for the Flyers in the East and hope they can find the right defenseman at the deadline. Problem is other than guys like Tyutin and Lydman I dont know who is gonna be out there.

You're kind of proving my point here...Rinaldo did EXACTLY that. Difference is, Kronwall left his feet and took a good distance into his hit on Briere.

You're kind of proving my point here...Rinaldo did EXACTLY that. Difference is, Kronwall left his feet and took a good distance into his hit on Briere.

Rinaldo targeted the head, that is the difference. Honestly I felt Kronwall left his feet against Brierre but didnt target the head, but was kind of surprised to see not even a fine for that hit.

@doom88

I had the same conversation yesterday with a Wings fan here at work. The guy thought I was nuts for even thinking that Kronwall's hit was illegal (I maintained it was the same as Rinaldo's except he left his skates). I even sent him that still shot that shows him leaving his skates and he still maintained it was a clean hit. I just stopped there because you obviously can't get through to guys like this.

@doom88

I had the same conversation yesterday with a Wings fan here at work. The guy thought I was nuts for even thinking that Kronwall's hit was illegal (I maintained it was the same as Rinaldo's except he left his skates). I even sent him that still shot that shows him leaving his skates and he still maintained it was a clean hit. I just stopped there because you obviously can't get through to guys like this.

I thought both hits were "legal" (despite the "leaving the feet" aspect). Those are the type of hockey hits we expect in the game.

Briere knew he was going to get hit, despite having his head down. He's a vet old enough to know when those things are going to happen. IIRC, he seems to brace for it just before impact.

Ericsson was just really having a great time watching his neat little pass before he got pasted. If he's got his eyes forward he can come close to tossing Rinaldo around or at least avoid the hit.

That said, if the roles were reversed, Kronwall most likely wouldn't have been penalized for the hit on "Ericsson" and Rinaldo most likely would have gotten at least 2 and then the suspension for the hit on "Briere".

It's just another reason why the officiating too often sucks in this league.

I thought both hits were "legal" (despite the "leaving the feet" aspect).

I have issue with players leaving the ice to hit someone. As much as I liked Richie when he was here I didn't like that aspect of his game. When you leave the ice to hit someone it should be a penalty. This alone my cut down on the amount of head injuries we see.

I have issue with players leaving the ice to hit someone. As much as I liked Richie when he was here I didn't like that aspect of his game. When you leave the ice to hit someone it should be a penalty. This alone my cut down on the amount of head injuries we see.

I somehow managed to get this discussion going in the wrong thread - I'll see if I can mod it out :-)

If the game was called with any real degree of consistency from official to official, game to game, player to player, period to period I couldn't agree more.

Rinaldo also gets a little height (skates might "still" be on the ice) - much like Downie did againt McAmmond (a hit I still think was "legal" in the NHL sense).

Player responsibility goes both ways. You can't be on the ice pretending it's a non-contact sport that people aren't legitimately able to hit you - hard - during.

Rinaldo targeted the shoulder/chest, but the Wing had his head down admiring his pass. Change the name to a league favorite and that's a top hit of the week.

And the beat goes on. As you know, guys get suspended for their reputations and their team's reputation as much as for the infraction.

And the beat goes on. As you know, guys get suspended for their reputations and their team's reputation as much as for the infraction.

That's the difference. And its not always player reputation. Its team reputation. Hence Matt Cooke, Milan Lucic, etc. Don't tell me there isn't bias. I've seen it. The Kronwall hit is the SAME as the RInaldo hit. One guy gets a penalty and a suspension, the other guy who plays for the miraculous motor city gets high praise. WTH?

Like I said before. This league is starting to lose me a little. I don't like where its headed.

This year his first in the nhl 1 goal and 156 penalty minutes with a team that is struggling to kill penalties.

He is currently 2nd in the league in PIMs. Remove the (approximate) 120 minutes from fights and misconducts and Henrik Sedin has more PIMs. I'm not so sure your argument holds water.

EDIT: Ironically, removing the fighting and misconducts would rank him at #156 in the NHL.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

He is currently 2nd in the league in PIMs. Remove the approximately 120 minutes from fights and misconducts and Henrik Sedin has more PIMs. I'm not so sure your argument holds water.

EDIT: Ironically, removing the fighting and misconducts would rank him at #156 in the NHL.

Now that is quite a stat. Nice find!