Matheson out indefinitely

nossagog

https://triblive.com/sports/penguins-defenseman-mike-matheson-out-indefinitely-due-to-injury/

Pens are going to miss Matheson. He has played very well this season and has contributed nicely in points even though he doesn't play on the Power Play. Freidman is the next man up to fill his spot, but really I'd rather P.O Joseph in the lineup.  He was called up from the Baby Pens on Friday.

Tough loss for the Pens for sure.

I've watched Matheson be a pretty solid player on mediocre Panther teams when he was there....his overall game as a steady top four defenseman has only improved since he's been on the Penguins the last couple seasons.

This should mean more ice time for John Marino now, no?
Time for him to step up his game with what should be added responsibility.

I don't follow the Pens as closely as you, but I am thinking Marino is supposed to be a guy who can play a good two way game, and a guy whom the Pens would like at some point to put on a top pair?
Here he should get another shot with increased time with Matheson out.

21 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Tough loss for the Pens for sure.

I've watched Matheson be a pretty solid player on mediocre Panther teams when he was there....his overall game as a steady top four defenseman has only improved since he's been on the Penguins the last couple seasons.

This should mean more ice time for John Marino now, no?
Time for him to step up his game with what should be added responsibility.

I don't follow the Pens as closely as you, but I am thinking Marino is supposed to be a guy who can play a good two way game, and a guy whom the Pens would like at some point to put on a top pair?
Here he should get another shot with increased time with Matheson out.

Marino was probably already getting a little more ice time than Matheson, so I don't think his time will increase at all so as not to overload him. Plus Marino gets time on the second power play unit. And you are right, Marino is yet another Pens defenseman who plays solid on D and also is very mobile bringing the puck up ice.  

If anything I think Ruhwedel's time will go up a little, he's played very solid this year So much so they extended his contract.  It also gives them the chance to get some time up with the Pens for P.O. Joseph.  I have liked what little we have seen from him, he's quick, fair sized at 6'2", and willing to use his body.   At 23, he could split the 6th man role with Friedman.

That being said, Friedman played a great game last night against the Bluejags.  He is pretty fresh as he's been up all year and only has played 4 games. 

• Like 1