Moritz Seider Appriciation

Brewin Flames

• 3 weeks later...

Moritz Seider is the real deal, one of a few highlights of this Red Wing season. He, along with Lucas Raymond and Alex Nedeljkovic were good enough to up Larkin's game enough to make us look like we might be in playoff contention for a while. Sadly, they are not enough.

Right now.

This kid is smart, tough, skilled, and big, especially for a rookie. Just wait until he bulks out as he matures. He's the foundational piece on D. Yzerman's first draft pick for the Wings might end up being his BEST draft pick for the Wings.

And if Simon Edvinsson is as good as I anticipate he will be, we'll have the leadership and excellence on the back end that can take us back where we belong--in contention. Add Sebastian Cossa, and it may be crazy-good.

In 3-5 years. And that's the hard part. The wait. It's gonna be tough for fans who want everything NOW. That's usually not how it works at all. Yzerman is going to have to resist the call of fans to move on FA's too soon. You sign the big ones to go from good to great, not from bad to good. You have to build bad to good from within, and that takes time.

Ned's had 2 shutouts this season, and if he had half of a defense core in front of him, there would be more. I'm predicting there WILL be more. Again, it'll take a few seasons before we are seeing them somewhat regularly, and we'll see if they start coming before Cossa is ready or not.

I have not been this optimistic about the future of the Red Wings in years, but that optimism is still for the future, not so much for the present. We've made significant strides this season, but we still have a LONG way to go to rebuild a championship team. The 11-2 loss yesterday makes that obvious. <ugh>

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

Moritz Seider is the real deal, one of a few highlights of this Red Wing season. He, along with Lucas Raymond and Alex Nedeljkovic were good enough to up Larkin's game enough to make us look like we might be in playoff contention for a while. Sadly, they are not enough.

Right now.

This kid is smart, tough, skilled, and big, especially for a rookie. Just wait until he bulks out as he matures. He's the foundational piece on D. Yzerman's first draft pick for the Wings might end up being his BEST draft pick for the Wings.

he reminds me of Makar the way he skates.

It is almost weird to see a guy that big be that nimble, I've seen big guys be fast, but Seider is slippery too, it is a fun combination to watch when it's not your team he's toying with on the rush.

Plus, he seems to have a good hockey sense too,  I think you guys have a good one there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Red Wings: Seider is the real deal on defense for Detroit

Moritz-Seider.jpg?fit=1200%2C600&ssl=1

Moritz Seider has been outstanding on defense for the Detroit Red Wings this year. The former 6th overall pick from the 2019 draft has come a long way in just a short period of time. Fans who initially questioned the pick are now in full agreement that Detroit General Manager Steve Yzerman made the best choice when selecting the colorful Seider.

To start the season, Seider was paired with veteran blueliner Nick Leddy. A strong start for Seider, coupled with defensive lapses for Filip Hronek, necessitated a move on the blueline whereby Seider ended up playing most of the season with Danny DeKeyser. Even though DeKeyser struggled throughout most of the campaign, Seider flourished, and by mid-season, he was garnering the most ice time of all Detroit defensemen.

Calder Trophy Candidate

Seider’s start to his rookie campaign was so good, that he was recognized as the NHL’s “Rookie of the Month” for October. He was also the first Detroit rookie in almost 20 years to score eight assists in a single month.

Currently, Seider is 4th in NHL rookie scoring with 45 points in 72 games. The only players ahead of Seider in the rookie scoring race, are all forwards. Seider is the top rookie scorer on defense by a wide margin. Jamie Drysdale of Anaheim is currently second with 30 points in 72 games. Not only does Seider lead in scoring, but his -7 rating is terrific compared to -21 for Drysdale.

There is no doubt that Seider deserves to be in the conversation for the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s “Top Rookie”. Toronto forward Michael Bunting is currently the top rookie scorer with 57 points in 72 games. Prior to this season, Bunting had already played 26 NHL games starting in the 2018-2019 season. Detroit forward Lucas Raymond is currently 2nd in rookie scoring with 54 points in 72 games.

What sets Seider apart from the forwards is that he leads all rookies with 40 assists and has more time-on-ice at 23:09 per game compared to every other rookie in the NHL. The next closest rookie in ice time is Nashville defenseman Alexandre Carrier at 20:52.

My prediction is that both Seider and Raymond will be named as Calder finalists with Seider winning the Calder Trophy at the NHL awards ceremony in late June.

Final Thoughts

Mortiz Seider has made his way to being the anchor on defense that the Red Wings have coveted since the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom. I am not comparing the two defensemen, they are very different players, but the Red Wings now have a defenseman in their stable that can play big important minutes, and thrive in all situations.

At 21, Seider will be asked to now be a mentor for the prospects who will be attempting to make the jump to the big club. Simon Edvinsson, Albert Johansson, and Jared McIsaac are a handful of LD prospects who could end up being partners with Seider in the next year or so.

Other prospects such as Donovan Sebrango and Eemil Viro are signed and waiting in the Wings. Both will likely play in Grand Rapids (AHL) next year. William Wallinder is currently playing for Rogle (SHL) and was a 2nd round pick in 2020. Antti Tuomisto and Shai Buium both recently won a NCAA National Championship playing defense for the University of Denver. Tuomisto was a 2nd round pick in 2019 and Buium was a 2nd round pick in 2021.

The prospect pipeline is loaded on defense for the Red Wings. Some of these prospects will thrive and become NHL regulars, while others will not make it. There is no doubt that Moritz Seider will be a big part of the development of the Red Wings blueline for most of the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And already comparing him to Lidstrom is just a HUGE stretch.  Hilarious to hear from some of the Detroit fans.  But, nonetheless, a HUGE stretch.  Can he be a Lidstrom type in his future?  Maybe.  But, he has a lot that he needs to learn and improve on for that to be true.

Not sure who wrote the article, but it's not lost that he's in the discussion for the calder, and of course he got a long way to go.

• 2 months later...

Seider hopes winning Calder Trophy start of brighter days for Red Wings

Defenseman named rookie of year after leading first-year players in assists

by Tim Campbell @TimNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
 June 21, 2022
cut.png

TAMPA -- Moritz Seider is looking forward to the offseason break that will help him digest being named the winner of the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year Tuesday.

The Detroit Red Wings defenseman had 50 points (seven goals, 43 assists) in 82 games this season and led rookies in assists, power-play points (21) and time on ice per game (23:02).

"It's crazy. Sometimes you've got to flinch to realize that. Pinch yourself," Seider said after the 2022 NHL Awards at Armature Works. "I'll definitely have some time to reflect, and I will probably do that when I'm home with my parents, just sit outside and have some great talks. For now, everything is going really fast."

The 21-year-old from Zell, Germany, said he was thrilled to be taking some hardware home to show his parents, who were unable to attend the ceremony. They had just returned from a vacation in Croatia and had to go back to work, Seider said.

"Overall, very excited just to share that moment with my significant others and my agency and just very, very grateful for everything that happened tonight," he said. "[My parents] just got back from vacation and they scheduled their vacation different so there was just not any more days to escape from home. They definitely watched. Very happy and very proud to bring something back."

Seider was an impact player for the Red Wings from the start of the season. He had two assists in his NHL debut, a 7-6 overtime loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the season opener Oct. 14, and scored his first NHL goal in overtime to give Detroit a 4-3 win at the Buffalo Sabres on Nov. 6.

Two rookie defensemen since 1992-93 have had more points in a season: Quinn Hughes of the Vancouver Canucks, who had 53 points (eight goals, 45 assists) in 68 games in 2019-20, and Vladimir Malakhov of the New York Islanders, who had 52 points (14 goals, 38 assists) in 64 games in 1992-93.

Seider, who was also named to the NHL All-Rookie Team on Tuesday, said he believes he's only getting started in the League.

"It's still a long road and you're just hitting the highway," he said. "I'm very looking forward to, not just myself but the whole Detroit organization, I think we have a very bright future. I'm just excited."

cut.jpg

• 03:45 • June 21st, 2022

Seider said he hopes to help the Red Wings climb higher in the standings and back to contender status in the near future. Detroit (32-40-10) finished sixth in the Atlantic Division this season, 26 points out of a Stanley Cup Playoff spot, and missed the postseason for a sixth straight season.

"I think we want to aim for that [playoff] spot 100 percent but you always have to be realistic," he said. "Don't look too far ahead but other than that, what it comes to is just proving people wrong. A lot of people are doubting us and that's what keeps us motivated."

Seider also said he was proud to be among the growing number of Germany-born players in the NHL. There were nine this season, compared to seven in 2016-17.

"It's cool. It's great," he said. "I think there are coming more and more good players and great people from Germany. I think not [only] Hockeytown is excited but I think I'm speaking for all of Germany fans. We're performing every single year at the [World Championship] and proving people wrong, and we're just going to get better."

Seider got 1,853 points in the voting, receiving 170 of 195 first-place votes by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and was fourth or higher on all ballots.

Anaheim Ducks forward Trevor Zegras was the runner-up with 1,191 points, including 15 first-place votes, and Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting was third with 877 points, including seven first-place votes.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Was great to see the smile on his face and the personality he appears to have.  Someone who is truly loving and appreciating what he's doing and where he's doing it.

That said, he's still not Lidstrom, YET.  And, a calder trophy doesn't change that.  Again, can he be at some point?  Maybe.  Is he now?  Nope.  He's a star, and probably will be for years to come in this league.  But, he's not Lidstrom, YET.

First Wing to win the Calder since Rogier Crozier 56 years ago, although to be fair one of the zanier moves ever was Barrett Freaking Jackman given the Calder over the much more deserving Zetterberg. Oh well, Jackman got the Calder, Zetterberg got the rings and will go to the hall. The only way Jackman goes to the Hall is if he buys a ticket.

I love Seiders game, I watch him and dont see Lidstrom AT ALL thje Wings dman he reminds me of is Konstantinov, he can move the puck, he is a brick wall to try to get around, he loves to punish with his big body, shoulders and hips seem to be his favorite on ice weapons. When he gets his game together I think he will settle into a 55 point a year role and an elite shut down defender with a nasty streak and not afraid to use his size. He is not Lidstrom and never will be, there is only one Lidstrom is one of the top three or four defenseman of all time, Seider does not need to be that to be a huge asset. A bit of perspective is needed. Konstantinov with a little more scoring is just perfectly fine with me,

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 7:39 PM, yave1964 said:

I love Seiders game, I watch him and dont see Lidstrom AT ALL thje Wings dman he reminds me of is Konstantinov, he can move the puck, he is a brick wall to try to get around, he loves to punish with his big body, shoulders and hips seem to be his favorite on ice weapons. When he gets his game together I think he will settle into a 55 point a year role and an elite shut down defender with a nasty streak and not afraid to use his size. He is not Lidstrom and never will be, there is only one Lidstrom is one of the top three or four defenseman of all time, Seider does not need to be that to be a huge asset. A bit of perspective is needed. Konstantinov with a little more scoring is just perfectly fine with me,

I agree with the Konstantinov comparison, but I think he night be slipperier than Vladdie was. His skating ability is comparable. Good stick work too.

Lidstrom didn't have his size or toughness. His strength was his wicked-smart decision-making. I do see some of that in Seider, but he has a long road to travel to be named with Lidstrom like that.

And part of Lidstrom's genius was that he was only physical when he NEEDED to be. That's how he was able to avoid injury like he did. He didn't actively seek engagement, but he engaged when opportunity presented and it was right to engage. Mo LOOKS for engagement, kinda like Kronner and Vladdie did. It will be interesting to see whether or not he will be able to discipline himself enough to keep from getting injured while still remaining a physically-engaging player. Lidstrom would make players targeting him miss. Seider just plants and makes them pay for trying. More fun to watch, but potentially riskier. 

• 1 month later...

Mo Seider In Three Years

by Paul on 08/28/22 at 11:00 PM ET

NHL Network is spending the offseason presenting the best current NHL players at each position. On Sunday, the network's producers and analysts revealed their top 20 defensemen in a special program. To add to that conversation, we asked six NHL.com writers to pick the player they think will be the best defenseman in the NHL in three seasons. Here are their choices:

Moritz Seider, Detroit Red Wings

The 21-year-old certainly got off to a great start in his NHL career when he won the Calder Trophy voted as the League's rookie of the year last season. I see him improving steadily during the next three seasons. He led rookie defensemen with 50 points and 43 assists and was second among them with seven goals (Martin Fehervary of the Washington Capitals scored eight).

He led Detroit with 21 power-play points (two goals, 19 assists) last season. Seider's already used to a good amount of ice time (he led the Red Wings with an average of 23:02 per game). With Detroit adding some veterans this offseason, including defenseman Ben Chiarot, Seider can keep improving without too much pressure. He showed great personality when he accepted the Calder at the 2022 NHL Awards He seems like a cool customer, and the Red Wings will benefit from his improvement during the next three seasons. -- Tracey Myers, staff writer

Seider's outstanding rookie season could just be the tip of the iceberg. He produced offensively, his 50 points in 82 games the most by a Red Wings rookie defenseman since Nicklas Lidstrom had 60 in 1991-92. And he was able to play against the top players in the NHL; he was one of 11 defensemen to average at least 18:00 of ice time per game at even strength (18:16), at least 2:30 on the power play (2:53) and at least 1:30 on the penalty kill (1:53), and the only rookie. And he didn't shy away from physical play, leading the Red Wings in blocked shots (161) and finishing second in hits (151; Adam Erne had 161). And did we mention he's just 21 and has a frame (6-foot-4, 197 pounds) that will allow him to get stronger? More experience, more strength, and in three more seasons he'll have more than a Calder Trophy on his shelf. -- Adam Kimelman, deputy managing editor

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...