Here's what happens when you hire a coach that lets you play to your strength

RonJeremy

No argument here I agree 100%. But I think we have different definitions of “quit” and “quitter.” I hear that description of an NHL player and think of Alexander Daigle. He quit once he realized (too late yes) that the work required to be a full time NHL pro was not for him. A dick move to be sure but not at all similar to the guys in the O&B these days.

Still…. I won’t quibble. The results are the same, have been the same for a long time now, whatever we call it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But I think we have different definitions of “quit” and “quitter.”

To your point, I think teams "quit" while individual players are "quitters."

I'm not pointing out individual players. I'm pointing at the entire team.

Your brought up the Barber fiasco. The team quit on Barber. The only players who didn't get the memo were Cechmanek, Fedotenko, and Adam Oates. But the team essentially stopped playing competitive hockey.

They've pretty much done the same thing this year.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Laviolette was a Cup winning coach when he got here and has been to a Final since he left.

Vigneault had taken two teams to Cup Finals.

Hell, Berube won a Cup in St. Louis.

Hackstol had a strong college pedigree which sometimes works, but obviously didn't. He's also been hired by another team subsequently.

AV was a reaction along with bringing in Therien and Yeo - three guys with legit NHL head coaching experience - because the Hackstol experiment didn't work out.

It seems clear from Yeo's comments over the past several weeks that the players simply aren't doing what they are being coached to do. And even he is saying that the slightest adversity deflates the team.

This team simply has a losing culture right now. It's endemic. And the tragedy is that the guy they brought in from a "winning" franchise - Ellis - played four games and got hurt. Atkinson, Ristolainen, Yandle, Brassard - all guys brought in to be a part of the "leadership group" from franchises that also didn't have a history of winning. Two of them were on the ice when the Habs tied it up.

This isn't about "getting back to Flyer hockey" because there isn't a "Flyer hockey" they know how to get back to. The "Flyer hockey" that's been created over the past ten years is a middling, bubble playoff team (at best) with precious little accountability and a reliance upon making excuses. They have flat out quit the past two seasons. QUIT.

It's been ten years. And the organization* still thinks they are "a piece or two away."

It's midbogling.

They need a motivational speaker maybe Matt Folley.

• Like 1