Flyers acquire Nicklas Grossman

Guest jkearse123

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't say I've seen much of him but this seems like a nice move. Sounds like he brings size, defensive ability and a physical presence. And he's young enough (and cheap enough) that re-signing him seems like a possibility.

We could use a little more size and defensive toughness against NY

If Grossman gives the Flyers that presence in front of their own net they are looking for and if they are able to sign him to a reasonable extension, then they have not overpaid for him IMO. Yet to be seen obviously, but I will say that of the D-men they were rumored to be after, I was hoping they would land Grossman the most. Glad they didn't give up anyone on the roster to get him.

If Grossman gives the Flyers that presence in front of their own net they are looking for and if they are able to sign him to a reasonable extension, then they have not overpaid for him IMO. Yet to be seen obviously, but I will say that of the D-men they were rumored to be after, I was hoping they would land Grossman the most. Glad they didn't give up anyone on the roster to get him.

Agreed...Also it it important to note that both picks were ones we got from trades...Flyers still have their own picks for now.

Greetings:

I guess this trade comes under the heading of "calculated risk." If the guy plays well and likes it here, maybe he sticks around. If he doesn't, we gave up "extra picks" via trade to hopefully bolster a weakness until we find out more (publicly) about Pronger and see how the youngsters pan out over a season.

Hopefully Homer has decided that the forwards he has on hand appear to be a Cup nucleus. Then he trades and builds to keep them. The D needs reworking and the goal is beyond understanding--as I have said before, Bryz's performance will have to ultimately be judged next year--do we have a lost season or a lost career in Philly.

So--Grossman's signing is "marginal" for the franchise. Homer may know more about Pronger's condition than we think. Our trade activity may reveal more or less about that.

Best,

Howie

Draft is pretty shallow after 15th pick this year, according to some.

Sure. But if anyone thought Weber would turn out the way he has do you think he'd still go in the 2nd round? I'm thinking maybe first overall. There are diamonds in the rough. But you have to stop throwing away picks. I'm not saying this is a horrible trade...I just don't get why NO Flyer gm in the last 20 years wants 2nd round picks.