Fleury to the Wild?

Jimtown guy

From the Athletic:

With a deeper forward group than years past — thanks to the Kevin Fiala, Frederick Gaudreau, Matt Boldysecond line — the Wild are in a position to make a serious playoff run this year. Given their impending cap crunch, primarily due to some hefty incoming buyout costs, it’s in their best interest to make the best of what’s been a strong season. 

The problem is the last month or so has challenged them — especially between the pipes. There have been some defensive lapses this last month, and neither goalie has responded well to that workload. That play in net is what really separates them for the ‘average championship blueprint’ they should be striving for. While they don’t have an elite first-line center, at least they have two elite wingers to make up for it to an extent. There really isn’t anything propping their goaltenders up, though. So maybe management should be looking elsewhere. 

The Wild aren’t the only team looking for a goaltender, the Oilers and Capitals are on the market as well. So are teams outside of the playoff picture like the Devils. And this year, there aren’t too many stellar goalies available. But last year’s Vezina winner could be — it just has to be for the right opportunity. 

Adding a goalie of Fleury’s caliber could solidify the crease for the Wild and help them take the next steps. Solidifying Minnesota’s place in the playoff race only hurts the chances of the Golden Knights even reaching the playoffs, who currently sit in the second wild card seed.

If the Golden Knights reach the postseason and somehow match up with last year’s Round 1 opponent, it would only be fitting if he played a key role in eliminating them just like he did the Wild last year. It would be the petty revenge we’re looking for. 

25 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

I know Fleury is somewhat of a pipe dream but damn he could make a huge difference 

He would. I also wouldn’t mind trying to pry Varlamov away from the Islanders. He’d probably be more costly though since he has a year remaining after this one. And while he’s a cheaper cap hit than MAF, the $5M next year might cause problems.

3 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

I will politely disagree 

Watch him on every single shot. You will see that he is not as good as his numbers say he is. He loses sight of rebounds to easily. Shots from the blue line he has a hard time seeing even when he has a clean view. A few times he will catch the puck then drop it only to have an opposing player score. It happens to often.

It’s done!!! Fleury to the Wild for a second round pick that could be elevated. Yes!!!

Edit. The second round pick becomes a first rounder if the Wild make the conference finals AND Fleury wins 4 plus games in the first two rounds.

Also, some speculation just now that Kappo could be on the move.

Edited by TallyTigerShark

29 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Don’t remember much about Middleton specifically, but his numbers look good and I like the fact that he’s a little heavier than what we currently have along the blue line. We need some more bulk there.

Plus he has a pretty sweet stache. 

23 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Made sense that we aquired a 2nd round pick to go for Fluery which BG wanted to offer. Not a bad deal.
And now we got some good D size. Pretty good day I'd say.

I think it’s a great day 👍

• Like 1

Wild trade for Marc-Andre Fleury and others in NHL Trade Deadline Day Blitz

Crazy day, I think I'm really curious about Middleton.  One would think Fleury would benefit from better defensive support than he had in Chicago but that's a pretty low bar.  We certainly made some mid-season tweaks to this lineup.  I didn't think we overpaid like previous Wild GM's have done around deadline time.  I cover all of the moves here.  Enjoy and discuss.  

• Like 2

I don't think Talbot will feel like it's a "punch in the gut" for the most part. It's not like he was going to play in every PO game anyhow. 
Now we've added strength in G and I'm hoping Talbot would want the team to succeed more than how much he plays. I don't imagine Fluery starting every game either.

Speaking of Low bars...Shooter McGuerin continues to blow away the bar level with his moves. 😎
I'm ok with trading Kahkonen because how do you even come up with a decent offer to resign given his inconsistency which isn't all his fault either.

Fleury still has a lot of game in him but trading Kahkonen is a bonehead move.

Amazing how time passes by and yet the Wild FO is so incompetent or unwilling in keeping their top prospects. 

The only clever side of this is that Talbot ends riding the pine where he belongs, too.

• Like 1