Fleury to the Wild?

Jimtown guy

Marc-Andre Fleury isn't ready to hang up his skates just yet.

"I would like to play at least another season. I decided that recently," Fleury said, according to La Presse's Katherine Harvey-Pinard. "I still love to play, I still have fun, the body's holding up - most of the time. But yes, one more season, and we'll see after."

The veteran goaltender is set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. The Chicago Blackhawks acquired him from the Vegas Golden Knights during the summer and dealt him to the Minnesota Wild at the trade deadline.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Marc-Andre Fleury isn't ready to hang up his skates just yet.

"I would like to play at least another season. I decided that recently," Fleury said, according to La Presse's Katherine Harvey-Pinard. "I still love to play, I still have fun, the body's holding up - most of the time. But yes, one more season, and we'll see after."

The veteran goaltender is set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. The Chicago Blackhawks acquired him from the Vegas Golden Knights during the summer and dealt him to the Minnesota Wild at the trade deadline.

I could see him resigning here due to ...Many reasons, But mostly having actual D in front of him. Given only a season or 2 left in him, He may hope to go to a solid SC potential team and not endure the beginning of our cap-hell seasons.

5 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I could see him resigning here due to ...Many reasons, But mostly having actual D in front of him. Given only a season or 2 left in him, He may hope to go to a solid SC potential team and not endure the beginning of our cap-hell seasons.

My exact feelings. I’d be surprised if he resigns with the Wild. But who knows he could be a big part of a good playoff run for the boys. Weirder things have happened 

18 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

My exact feelings. I’d be surprised if he resigns with the Wild. But who knows he could be a big part of a good playoff run for the boys. Weirder things have happened 

A lot depends on what Fleury decides this summer. We can't keep both Talbot and Fleury next year (unless Wallstedt isn't ready) Talbot will be an UFA after next season anyway.
Both making around 3.5M isn't bad but given our Cap situation, One probably has to go.
If Fleury leaves, Do we give Talbot 1 year contracts then?
Fleury could want to retire as a Penquin, But they didn't treat him very well letting him be taken by VGK.
There's always the 1 game contract if he wants to do that too.

I'd be 'OK' with letting Fiala go if Rossi showed more in his few games. Small sample size but Boldy clearly showed he belonged in the Bigs.
Rossi hasn't yet, Big gamble imo. 
Fiala's young enough to sign maybe a 2-3 respectable extension and then go for the Pay-Day.

I don't think Wallstedt will be completely ready next season. As for the 23/24 season that is when I see he will be really ready to make a full impact. So if Fleury does resign for 1 year that is great and if not we still have a capable #1 in Talbot who we give that contract to.  Then sign a capable backup goalie . 

Keep in mind the Wild will only have $8,183,912 in cap space next season and will have to sign or replace the following players: Nick Deslauriers ($1M, UFA), Nick Bjugstad ($900K, UFA), Jordie Benn ($900K, UFA), Kevin Fiala ($5M, RFA), Mitchell Chaffee ($925K, RFA), Connor Dewar ($825K, RFA), Jacob Middleton ($725K, RFA), and MA Fleury ($7M, UFA). 

And yes, they can screw around with Fiala because he's an RFA and they can low-ball him again, but would you want to? They already kind of jerked him around by only giving him a one year "prove it" deal while emptying the vault for Kaprizov after half of a good season. IMO Fiala has "proved it" and the Wild need to pony up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Marc-Andre Fleury needs to play 2 more seasons for 20, and 1 or 2 seasons for game 1000, depending on how many games he plays next season. The only reason I would want Minnesota Wild to win the Stanley Cup is so Fleury can get Cup number 4. I think the Minnesota Wild have the ugliest uniform in the NHL. Marc-Andre Fleury will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, NHL HHOF said:

Marc-Andre Fleury needs to play 2 more seasons for 20, and 1 or 2 seasons for game 1000, depending on how many games he plays next season. The only reason I would want Minnesota Wild to win the Stanley Cup is so Fleury can get Cup number 4. I think the Minnesota Wild have the ugliest uniform in the NHL. Marc-Andre Fleury will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That would be nice if we will win a Stanley Cup and Fleury will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in a Wild uniform. I do not think the Wild uniform is the ugliest uniform in the NHL, but the beauty uniform in the NHL because it reflex the beauty of Minnesota Mother Nature.

• 3 weeks later...

Fleury; Talbot; Wallstedt options/future at the Wild club by hockeywilderness analysis:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2022/5/17/23073825/minnesota-wild-nhl-playoffs-goaltending-roster-fleury-talbot

I would prefer to see first both goaltenders (Fleury; Talbot) next season, which is not a bad tandem at all and then later on Wallstedt in a tryout. I'd like also to see first Wallstedt's play in AHL and to see his results same way as we did for Kahkonen. Probably, Kahkonen was the best goalie in Iowa Wild history. The other goalies, which we tried last year in Iowa did not impressed me with their results. We need stars but not an average goalies. Hard to find them as well as hard to develop. We need to look for a golden talent.