Brewin Flames

Jarnkrok traded to Flames by Kraken

Seattle receives three draft picks for forward

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 March 16, 2022
  •  
cut.jpg

•  

Calle Jarnkrok was traded to the Calgary Flames by the Seattle Kraken on Wednesday.

Seattle received a second-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft, a third-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, and a seventh-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft for the forward. The 2022 pick originally belonged to the Florida Panthers.

"I know a couple of guys on the team already, been watching a lot of games this year, when Calgary's been playing, played against them a couple of times," Jarnkrok said. "Very good team, very hard to play against, so I'm just super excited to be a part of the Flames."

The 30-year-old is in the final season of a six-year, $12 million contract ($2 million average annual value) he signed with the Nashville Predators on July 27, 2016. Seattle agreed to retain 50 percent of his remaining salary.

Flames general manager Brad Treliving said Calgary has long had interest in Jarnkrok.

"I've always considered him kind of a fixer defensively," Treliving said. "You can put him with any line and he fixes it. He plays the game the right way. … He's

played center growing up for the most part, lot of wing at the pro level.

Touches both sides of specialty teams. He can go up and down the lineup. We think we got better today. He's a real good player. We love how competitive he is, how versatile he is, and I think he's going to fit with us real good."

Regarding his versatility, Jarnkrok said, "I think that's been part of my game for a while, that I can play left wing, center and right wing. Mostly this season, I've been playing on the wing, but I don't think I have a spot that's more comfortable to be honest with you."

Jarnkrok scored 26 points (12 goals, 14 assists) in 49 games this season. He was acquired by the Kraken in the 2021 NHL Expansion Draft on July 21, 2021, after playing eight seasons for the Predators.

Selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round (No. 51) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Jarnkrok has scored 237 points (106 goals, 131 assists) in 557 regular-season games for the Kraken and Predators and 15 points (three goals, 12 assists) in 63 Stanley Cup Playoff games.