Giroux Traded to Panthers.

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wow...Fletcher managed to make a worse trade than the Risto one. That's not easy. Why are we adding to Giroux on an already lousy deal while taking on capspace? I know we don't need the space. I know it's only a 5th. I know it's only Bunnamen and Rubstov. But it's always the other team getting more out of Fletch. Always.

Congrats Chuck Fletcher...you're the #1 worst GM in all of professional sports.

FIFY.

• Uggh... 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Wow, after seeing the Chairot deal, I'm appalled by the paucity of this return.

I have read Giroux was only willing to waive to go to Florida, so I am sure that limited any leverage Chuck would have.

People on the Athletic gave the deal a C from the Flyers perspective. 

I think that is too generous. 

The front office needs a cleanse.

I see you're finally starting to come around. :cheers:

10 hours ago, Digityman said:

I honestly think it's an okay deal.  You guys complaining about losing Bunnaman and Rubstov?  Neither were going to be on this team.  They got a first, third and a potential 2nd/3rd line guy with a good to great shot for G for 3 months.  Then G resigns for a home town discount.  I'm okay with this deal especially because that's where G wanted to go (and deserved).  

To put it in perspective, the Canadians basically got the same return for Ben Chariot.... Ben Chariot! Only their 1st is sooner. And they didn't take on $4 million in cap space. Or send out 2 more players and a draft pick. Fletcher isn't happy unless he's adding to the other team.

• Like 1

To those who think G is coming back, I've got news for you - he isn't. One of the reasons why the Flyers got so little from Florida was that Giroux asked Fletcher if he would re-sign him in the offseason and Fletcher would not commit. Let that sink in - Fletcher didn't want Giroux. I warned everyone back when talks were shelved that this was going to be the beginning of the end and a number of people said I was nuts and that the Flyers wouldn't let their captain go. Look where the Flyers are now.....

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

To those who think G is coming back, I've got news for you - he isn't. One of the reasons why the Flyers got so little from Florida was that Giroux asked Fletcher if he would re-sign him in the offseason and Fletcher would not commit. Let that sink in - Fletcher didn't want Giroux. I warned everyone back when talks were shelved that this was going to be the beginning of the end and a number of people said I was nuts and that the Flyers wouldn't let their captain go. Look where the Flyers are now.....

I honestly don't care if he comes back but I'll be 100% shocked if he doesn't already have a handshake deal with Chuck. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Maybe I'm missing something with retaining the $4m in cap space... To confirm, this is for the last 20 games right?  The flyers don't need cap space and it's Comcast money.  Why do you or any other fans care about that?

Also they sent out a 5th and got a 1 & 3.  Again, that's a win in my book.  

I could care less about Bunnaman or Rubstov.   

So then it comes to 3 months of Giroux for Tippett.   

When you retain cap space for another team, it should cost them, not you. 

I agree on Bunnamen and Rubstov. I know the 5th isn't the end of the world. The point is we always send something the other way that seems like it should be coming this way. Like I said, the Habs got the same return for Chariot, who's an inferior player to Giroux in itself, but Florida got Giroux + cap retention+ a 5th + Rubstov & Bunnamen. 

Tippett doesn't look like the prospect he was. The 1st is years away...won't be surprised if it gets traded away for another of Haysees 30 something year old buddies. If not, I guess the good thing is, hopefully Fletcher is fired by then. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

The plus out of this trade is that Claude won't be here to help lift the team to worthless wins heading towards the draft. 

So even though Chuck went all in on this year, we may well end up with a 3-5 overall pick. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Did you read this somewhere? I really hope this isn't true.

This will be largely unpopular, but there is a way I can be alright with this trade. Specifically, if the rumour of Giroux only wanting to waive for Florida is true, then fine. He's earned that flexibility given he's the only player worth a d*** we've had on the team in ten years. Do I like it? No. I do feel like a team captain should allow his swan song to be one that makes the team as good as possible when he leaves, but whatever. It's not the end of the world.

IF however, the reason for Giroux doubling down on Florida is because Chuck wouldn't agree to re-signing him in the off season, forget that noise. You have to be some kind of special to not understand this team is still very much better with Giroux on it than not. Moreover, if that's the case, not only do you agree to re-sign him, you absolutely get the best possible return you can from whatever team is in the offering.

This second scenario would rank right up there with the Risto re-sign to me and propel Chuck to quite possibly the worst GM in the league as far as I'm concerned. It would feel to me like Chuck is giving the finger not only to Giroux but frankly to the entire fanbase also.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Never called you nuts .... I actually agree with you.  Giroux is IMHO is not coming back.

• pilldoc changed the title to Giroux Traded to Panthers.
  • pilldoc pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-I hope that I've built enough goodwill around here to say this and for folks to know that I'm not trolling: your management team badly needs to go.

you are a valued member here.  you never have to worry about trolling, especially when you speak the truth.....

The entire Flyers FO management team needs to just disappear and never be heard from again.

As I stated numerous times ....we are now the laughing stock of the NHL. :(

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

you are a valued member here.  you never have to worry about trolling, especially when you speak the truth.....

I appreciate that. Thank you.

The entire Flyers FO management team needs to just disappear and never be heard from again.

As I stated numerous times ....we are now the laughing stock of the NHL. :(

For a long time, Edmonton would do something which would boggle the mind, or they would telegraph a bad move a long time coming, and my frustration would build. My only answer for why they might do something that was so clearly a bad idea: Because Oilers.

I so badly hope that it's not the same situation, where Philly fans will be left saying "Why? Because Flyers."

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-The return is definitely light; there's no two ways about it.

-If Friedman's reporting is correct, and Florida was the only team Giroux would waive for, then Fletcher's big mistake was letting Montreal jump the line and get all of the goodies before the Flyers could.

-I hope that I've built enough goodwill around here to say this and for folks to know that I'm not trolling: your management team badly needs to go.

-The Panthers had better win, because they've completely emptied the cupboards now.

Go away, Troll !!  🤣  Kidding.  I agree with @pilldoc.  I value your level opinion on here.  

I totally agree with you, however, I will add that for a couple weeks Tippett has been talked about as, at least part of, the return for Giroux. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Go away, Troll !!  🤣  Kidding.  I agree with @pilldoc.  I value your level opinion on here.  

I totally agree with you, however, I will add that for a couple weeks Tippett has been talked about as, at least part of, the return for Giroux. 

Tippett can shoot the puck, but I bet you by the end of the season, you'll hear/see Flyers fans begin to complain about how many times he shoots from wherever he is in the offensive zone, regardless of how open his teammates are, with him somehow surprised he can't rip it by NHL goalies the way he did in junior.

One last thought about the Giroux trade and it was brought about by @JR Ewing 's post.

It centers around wanting to do right by the player.

In this case the player wanted to play 1k games for the team that drafted him. 

This desire delayed the inevitable trade to the singular destination which was also a result of doing right by the player.

By being transparent with Zito and decent to Giroux , Chuck did himself no favors.

He also didn't lie nor did he **** his player over. 

It strikes me that maybe there isn't room in pro sports management for decent people?

I am as disappointed as most everyone else in the return for the best player the Flyer have had for the past 10+ years.

I think Chuck's personal values are the root of our consternation. 

• Like 1

Alot has been said. And there is alot to digest. Let me start by saying I think CF is horrible and has wrecked what was left of this team. That said, I'm not ready to accept that incompetence is responsible for the result 

I think G will come back. So getting a 1st round prospect and another 1st for him, is not bad. That's how I see it. 2 firsts, for a rental. Plus G had all the say. If he only wanted FLA, what could chuck do? Say "No" to the offer? If he did that, then G walks, we would be burning down the city and pissing on the ashes.

As for Rubstov and Bun, good bye and good riddance. Who cares. 

I get that many of us accept that this team can't develop players. I feel the same. Tippett might be a wasted prospect. But I prefer to sit and wait to see what happens next. I dont think they (flyers) are done

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You've seen how the Flyers are developing the kids right?

So don't sign them??

Or have Fletch trades those too and get bent over in those trades too??

So what do you suggest then??? 

The world doesn't stop just because they boke some eggs making an omelet.

The front office is going to stay in tact...the only hope you have is in Danny Boy taking over maybe ASAP before Chuck trades all the good assets....right now we're all on Scott's time.

It is going to get worse before it gets better.

21 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So getting a 1st round prospect and another 1st for him

And they could use this pick along with their 1st in 2023 to maybe move up and get a very good player.

Can't judge this all right now let's see how Tippett develops. They have secured Allison's doppelganger.

You tell me who is who??

image.jpeg.27a5bafa15afec96b905e3b359b896a9.jpeg   image.jpeg.d0c1b855ecde7cb93a751dbae190c4a2.jpeg

Twins separated at birth. Man if one of them can play LW slap the other one on the RW between Coots and you have the Ginger Assassin line.

Kid was in the same draft as Patrick and Morgan Frost so if we are expected to give those guys time to develop then this kid should be given time to as well.

Bunny and Rubustov are two more Hextall picks out the door who once again haven't accomplished jack sh it...good riddance.

Chuck open the door to be able to sign the prospects he needs to sign and there are a few that is ready.

So let's get r done.

I hope Chuck can flip a few more turds on this roster to before the monday deadline...

• Like 1

I hope Giroux wins a cup this year then comes back next and helps with the re-build.

That would of course make up for a LOT of bad stuff in the last 2 years.... to me at least.

I was of course underwhelmed with the return but think it is important to keep the situation in perspective as many have pointed out....chuck had very little options and unloaded some useless weight. Hopefully the picks work out?

I also hope Tippet pans out for us.

Yeah. Lets go Panthers! I will literally get wet eyed watching G hoist a cup.... I now have a new reason to watch playoff hockey! Hooray!

As for the future of my favorite team.... What can I say. I don't hold much hope for the next few years under this bunch.... They have given us ZERO reasons to have any faith in their decision making!

• Like 1