Giroux Traded to Panthers.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can't hate it all you want. In my eyes it isn't that big of a deal I believe you need a good mix. I think the Flyerd have that.

Now make sure that mix is the quality they need.

Because you can be as young as you want if you can't help then you need to be sent down till you can.

But no team has ever won a Cup with nothing but kids.

Vets are needed to and have their place.

But just like the kids it has to be the right combo and the chemistry needs to be there.

Totally agree. 

Mix of vets and youngsters is necessary.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fizz said:

I thought you might have needed a refresher as to what a GM's job entailed. Which is to improve the team he works for not to give away prospects just so they get a chance to play. That is laughable.

Well, thanks for your concern, I don't need a refresher on the GM's job responsibility.

Allgebra II? now we're talking.

Also- so little in life is zero-sum-gain, this is a lesson I have learned in my near 50 years.

More than one thing can be true. This trade is an instance where being a good bloke isn't a binary choice.

There are other players that could have been moved to open those roster spots, why not pick a guy that played hard and did everything that was asked of him (Bunnaman) or a guy that had is star dimmed by an untimely injury (Rubst0v)?

As a GM if you treat your players like chattel or break your word to them, word gets out.

The result of those actions is- no one wants to play for your team.

Not being able to attract talent makes the whole goal of making a team better much more difficult.

I'm done explaining why not being a douche is important in business and life.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Totally agree. 

Mix of vets and youngsters is necessary.  

I found the Flyers a new head coach the dude looks smart...and wears a shirt....

Mike Yeo pack ya sh it you outa here!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I found the Flyers a new head coach the dude looks smart...and wears a shirt....

Mike Yeo pack ya sh it you outa here!!!!!!!

I need that dog as my partner

• Haha 1

Justin Braun to NYR

For a 3rd i can live with that they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him.

Chuck tried. Braun could be back too as a 6th or 7th too i think.

This was a solid year for him just please get Yandle out of here ASAP.

FOYZ7tMX0Agd-Cp.jpg

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

On 3/19/2022 at 9:39 PM, Digityman said:

I honestly think it's an okay deal.  You guys complaining about losing Bunnaman and Rubstov?  Neither were going to be on this team.  They got a first, third and a potential 2nd/3rd line guy with a good to great shot for G for 3 months.  Then G resigns for a home town discount.  I'm okay with this deal especially because that's where G wanted to go (and deserved).  

Definitely good point about Bunnaman and Rubstov - not only are neither in the club's future plans but of course it opens up 2 roster spots, which the Flyers will need and can use right away I hope.

But the picks for Giroux are just too stupid imho. 2024? And the 1R is conditional too, so if it falls in the top 10 the Panthers can keep it. Not sure what the Flyers get if that happens, but either way...2024! That's 3 summers from now, plus the minimum (unless it's some generational talent) 2 years in the A...ugh.

Plus this whole "Giroux would only accept the Panthers" line...If it's true (say it is), must we really assume the whole world knows it? It seems to me such valuable information would be kept secret until negotiations were complete. 

But I don't put anything past Fletcher. This is what you get from a GM who signs a guy who announces, "I'm not signing unless you overpay me."

OK ...now that the dust has settled from the Trade ....Here is an article I am sharing from The Athletic (A paid subscription):

(please note ... all bold face is my opinion on important parts of the article)

https://theathletic.com/3197157/2022/03/20/why-flyers-return-for-claude-giroux-from-panthers-underwhelming-but-understandable/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Why Flyers’ return for Claude Giroux from Panthers underwhelming but understandable

Thursday night was the spiritual end to Claude Giroux’s career in Philadelphia. Saturday night was the actual end.

Giroux — who appeared in his final game for the club in a 5-4 win over the Nashville Predators on Thursday and was held out of their 3-1 loss on Friday to the Ottawa Senators — was traded to the Florida Panthers in a complex package that included a grand total of seven pieces. Giroux, in addition to Connor Bunnaman, German Rubtsov and a 2024 fifth-round pick, was sent to the Panthers for 23-year-old winger Owen Tippett (a first-round pick in 2017), a 2024 conditional first-round pick and a 2023 third-round pick.

For Giroux, it brought to an end nearly 16 years of being associated with the Flyers, dating back to draft day in 2006 when he was selected with the No. 22 pick by then-GM Bob Clarke. On this day, however, it was general manager Chuck Fletcher who pulled the trigger on sending him away, at Giroux’s request. The Flyers’ awful 2021-22 campaign put the prospect of a trade deadline deal on the table, and it’s believed that at some point in early February, Giroux decided he was open to the concept. Once it became abundantly clear that the team wasn’t about to embark on a miracle run back into playoff contention, a trade became something of an inevitability. Saturday, that inevitability occurred.

Now, Giroux heads to Sunrise, Fla., to chase down the Stanley Cup that has so far eluded him over the course of his 15-year NHL career. The Flyers, on the other hand, will be taking stock of what they received in the package, what comes next for the organization without its most recognizable face, and how it ever got to the point where such a trade — which brought back a relatively underwhelming return relative to Giroux’s place in franchise history and continued on-ice quality — became necessary at all.

A brief look at the return

The final deal ultimately is fairly complex, so it helps to break it down into chunks — particularly, setting aside the Bunnaman/Rubtsov section.

My understanding, based on conversations with team sources, is that Bunnaman and Rubtsov were simply no longer part of the organization’s plans. Bunnaman at one time was viewed as a potential NHL fourth-liner — holding his own in that role in the second half of the 2019-20 season — but struggled mightily in 2020-21 and has fallen far down the depth chart, especially with new college prospects ready to officially enter the organization. As for Rubtsov, he hasn’t been the same player since a shoulder injury put an abrupt halt to what appeared to be a breakout 2018-19 campaign for the Phantoms, and he wasn’t even included on our most recent top 20 Flyers prospects list. He may have been a first-round pick in 2016, but his stock has dropped precipitously since.

In fact, the 2024 fifth-round pick was included in the deal as a sweetener to get Florida to take on the Bunnaman and Rubtsov contracts. The Flyers wanted to open up contract space (they can only have a maximum of 50, and now sit at 46), which could imply that they might look at adding a piece or two before the deadline, but more likely hints that there are college free agent signings looming. Bobby Brink, Ronnie Attard and Noah Cates all could be signed when their seasons come to a close, and the Flyers might be in on some college UFAs as well.

In other words, think of Bunnaman, Rubtsov and the fifth-rounder almost as a separate deal. The core of the Giroux trade was Giroux for the 2024 first-rounder, the 2023 third and Tippett. That’s the “real” Giroux return.

The reality of the situation

And in truth, the “real” Giroux return doesn’t look great at first glance.

It includes a first-round pick, yes, but three drafts from now. A third-round pick isn’t valueless, but it’s not exactly moving the needle dramatically — it’s basically what they’re likely to receive for Justin Braun in a day or two, unless a bidding war kicks up. And then, there’s a 23-year-old recent first-round pick from the same draft as Nolan Patrick and Morgan Frost who has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHLer.

It’s pretty easy to look at that return and say that Fletcher and the Flyers were taken to the cleaners.

After all, this is Claude Giroux we’re talking about here. He’s the face of the franchise, the team’s longest-standing captain and still a darn good player. It just feels like he should have brought back more. So why didn’t he? (bold face by me)

Most of it boils down to a simple explanation: he had a no-movement clause. (bold face by me)

Sources confirmed to The Athletic shortly after the trade was finalized that Giroux was indeed only willing to waive his NMC to go to the Panthers, and was not interested in going to any other team. I can confirm that Colorado in particular had interest in Giroux, and may have at some point been willing to part with a first-round pick for him, though I don’t believe one ever was officially put on the table. That said, once the Flyers became aware that Giroux would only approve a trade to Florida, the bulk of their negotiating efforts centered around them. There wasn’t much in the way of serious conversations with any other club.

The result? Not much of a market really could be created for Giroux, and it made a bidding war impossible. With only one destination possible, it mostly boiled down to Florida GM Bill Zito offering an acceptable enough package that Fletcher couldn’t dismiss out of hand as being so weak as to be not even worth taking in the first place.

Now, could the Flyers have tried to push Giroux harder on this? Sure, in theory. But I do believe that at least some of Giroux’s choice of Florida was driven by family considerations, which are hard to question. In addition, Giroux had the NMC, so no amount of pressure could have truly forced him to change his mind. And finally, the Flyers wanted to do right by Giroux, who has long been the good soldier in Philadelphia despite being asked to carry limited rosters to competency for a nearly uninterrupted decade.

If Giroux says he wants to go somewhere, the Flyers owed it to him to get them there. He had earned the right to decide how his Flyers tenure ended. And he wanted to chase a Stanley Cup in Florida. The Flyers rightfully made sure that happened.

A deeper look at the return

OK, so the Flyers did right by Giroux by sending him where he wanted to go. And they were hamstrung by the NMC that they gave him nearly eight years ago. But even accounting for those factors, is this anywhere near an acceptable return?

In February, I noted that when looking at recent deadline trades involving rental (players on expiring contracts) forwards, the two most comparable ones were the 2018 trade of Paul Stastny from St. Louis to Winnipeg and the 2019 trade of Matt Duchene from Ottawa to Columbus. That remains true, despite some looking at recent deals involving defenseman Ben Chiarot (2023 first, 2022 fourth and a prospect) and forward Brandon Hagel (two first-round picks and two prospects) and believing that Giroux’s price tag surely deserved to be higher than both.

That’s not how the trade deadline works. The defenseman market tends to be far different, particularly at the deadline; GMs in recent history have been significantly more likely to overpay for rental defensemen than forwards (also, Chiarot didn’t have a NMC). As for Hagel, his age (23), contract status (one year remaining after 2021-22, with continued RFA eligibility beyond that) and price tag ($1.5 million cap hit) made him an especially attractive option for a cap-strapped club like the Tampa Bay Lightning. Comparing Giroux to Chiarot and Hagel is like comparing apples to oranges. It’s a foolish exercise, even if Giroux is far superior to both in terms of on-ice impact.

In comparison to Stastny and Duchene, however, the Giroux return is pretty close. Stastny brought back a first, a fourth and a B-tier prospect; Duchene garnered a first and two B-/C+ tier prospects. The Flyers got a first, a third and Tippett, who falls somewhere in that B to C+ range, with some in the industry still viewing him more as a B+ guy (Corey Pronman, for example, still gives him a top-six forward projection). It’s pretty much on point with what St. Louis and Ottawa got back for their rental forwards.

That’s not the whole story on the return, though. The first-rounders in both of those deals were for the same year as the trade, whereas the Flyers will have to wait until at least 2024 for theirs, and possibly even until 2025 if Florida’s 2024 first-rounder ends up being in the top 10, as it’s protected in that case and rolls over to be an unprotected 2025 first. That’s not insignificant — prospects take time to develop, and taking a later pick pushes the timeline for a prospect’s eventual NHL impact even further back, likely into at least the latter half of the 2020s.

And then there’s Tippett, who isn’t exactly a traditional prospect at this point. He’s not even Calder Trophy eligible anymore — we’re talking about a player with 94 NHL games played who turned 23 last month. And despite his age, he hasn’t exactly been fantastic in the NHL yet. Here’s a brief look at his even strength results in his two significant NHL seasons, 2020-21 and 2021-22.

image.png.833bf19351ce71d8f451ccff346a46a4.png

In 2020-21, he did show legitimate potential, first on Florida’s fourth line with Frank Vatrano and Eetu Luostarinen, and then on a scoring line with Jonathan Huberdeau and Sam Bennett, chemistry that carried over into the playoffs. This year, however, has been a different story. While his scoring efficiency has remained fine — likely a product of playing largely with Huberdeau, who’s tied for second in the league in scoring — his underlying metrics have cratered, largely due to awful defensive impacts. In both years, he hasn’t struggled to create quality chances (his individual xG creation has been first-liner caliber and right in line with players like Sean Couturier, Kirill Kaprizov and Vladimir Tarasenko) but his finishing ability at the NHL level has been nonexistent, scoring on 8 percent of his shots despite many of them being of fairly high quality. Tippett has always projected to be a goal scorer, a finisher, but it’s a skill set that hasn’t popped up yet in the NHL. Add in legitimate concerns about defensive acumen and hockey IQ, and he’s far from a sure thing to be a consistent NHL regular — in fact, he’s been down in the AHL since February.

In the end, this trade will likely be judged on how Tippett pans out. If the Flyers can get him back on his 2020-21 track, it looks like a solid return. That version of Tippett is a quality middle-six, even top-six forward with positive play-driving impacts and real goal scoring potential, a big winger with size who is fairly comparable to Wade Allison, except without the injury concerns. If this year wasn’t a fluke or aberration, however, this version is probably too much of a defensive liability to be an NHLer, especially if he can’t counterbalance it by finishing at an above average rate.

So why did the Flyers push for — or at least accept — the 2024 first-rounder and Tippett as a return for Giroux?

Let’s start with the 2024 first-rounder. The simplest explanation is this: the Flyers were demanding a first-rounder be part of any return for Giroux, and 2024 was the earliest one the Panthers — their only realistic trade partner — had left, after relinquishing their 2023 first in their recent trade for Chiarot. A first, by my understanding, was non-negotiable for Flyers. Generally speaking, a pick now is worth more than a pick later, but first-rounders hold a certain degree of cachet, especially in trade talks with other GMs. My guess is that Fletcher plans to try to use this newly acquired first-rounder as a major chip this summer in their aggressive retool; in other words, he wanted to load up with an extra first and all the prestige it brings to prepare for the summer.

Now, onto Tippett. In short, I do believe the Flyers like him a fair amount. They believe in his scoring upside, which has manifested in the AHL (60 points in 63 games) and they’re quite high on his skating ability as well, especially for his size. I can’t confirm that they could have gotten a younger prospect in place of Tippett — I do get the sense Florida was pushing him as a centerpiece — but the Flyers also liked his NHL readiness factor and his shooting mentality. They’re looking to turn this situation around quickly.

The best case scenario for the Flyers in this trade, given their stated goals? The 2024 first is used to help improve the team this summer, and Tippett — who I expect to jump right into the Flyers lineup Sunday against the Islanders assuming no travel hiccups — quickly returns to his 2020-21 trajectory and gives Philadelphia another big right-handed (and redheaded) scoring winger to go along with Allison.

Worst case? The 2024 first is kept and ends up in a weak draft, Tippett doesn’t bounce back at all and the Flyers get very little for their longtime captain. That outcome can’t be ruled out either, and it’s a rightfully horrifying plausible scenario for Flyers fans.

The hard truth about the trade

Fletcher and the Flyers were undeniably in a difficult situation here. While Giroux was likely the best player on the market at this deadline, his NMC limited the market to just one team — a club that lacked a first-round pick in the next two drafts, and also had little motivation to relinquish a huge package given their knowledge that they were Giroux’s only choice.

That’s not exactly a recipe for much leverage. Really, any leverage at all.

The only real way that Fletcher could have regained his leverage would have been to threaten to simply hold onto Giroux, calling Florida’s bluff. And perhaps Fletcher did try to do that — after all, it’s not like the Panthers got Giroux for a fourth-round pick. They did give up some legitimate value. There was probably a line at which Fletcher would have walked away.

But Giroux had made the decision that he wanted to leave to chase a Cup. And in this situation, an organization that wants to be viewed as one that treats its players well could not afford to be seen as ignoring Giroux’s wishes or trying to strongarm him.

Could Fletcher have played more hardball and simply postured more heavily to Florida that he would keep him? Sure, probably. The fact that the trade was executed on Saturday instead of Monday hints that Fletcher probably could have drawn this process out more with the hope of extracting more from the Panthers. But personally, I doubt Florida and GM Bill Zito would have bought it. They knew the pressures that Fletcher was facing. So it’s hard to criticize Fletcher too much for not taking Door No. 2 when Door No. 2 — either via another team or from Florida — probably didn’t exist.

The hard truth is that the Flyers lost this trade a long time ago. They lost it when they did so poorly in 2021-22 that they were forced to make it in the first place.

Giroux never wanted to leave Philadelphia. While the two sides did decide to table contract negotiations at the end of last summer, it was with the understanding that — had the 2021-22 season gone according to plan — working out a new contract would have been a relatively painless process, more about finding a way to fit Giroux under the cap than about Giroux having legitimate doubts about staying in Philadelphia. But the team’s struggles changed the equation dramatically and that sent Giroux down the road of potentially seeking a trade. That’s on the Flyers for not building a team that contended for a playoff spot this season. Had they done so, Giroux wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Now, might he return in the offseason? Based on my conversations, I don’t believe that door is shut. The Flyers would certainly have interest in bringing him back, and I don’t believe there is bad blood between him and Fletcher. That said, the Flyers are gearing up for a busy offseason, and it’s possible to envision a scenario where Giroux simply doesn’t fit anymore; by the same token, it’s not hard to imagine Giroux falling in love with playing for a contender over the next few months, and not wanting to return to an uncertain situation, regardless of his very real love for Philadelphia and the Flyers.

In the end, the Flyers and Fletcher were in a very tough spot in this negotiation, and it’s a reasonable explanation for the relatively underwhelming return. But it’s also difficult to have too much sympathy for them, given that it was their own inability to be competitive this season that put them in that tough spot in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still don't like the return, however, there are certain compelling arguments to be made.  I the end I am more pisssssed off at the organizations in ability to field a competitive team over the years than the actual components of said trade.

Kudo's to @Digityman / @mojo1917 for posting level headed responses.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

...Giroux was indeed only willing to waive his NMC to go to the Panthers...

I can confirm that Colorado in particular had interest in Giroux, and may have at some point been willing to part with a first-round pick for him...

once the Flyers became aware that Giroux would only approve a trade to Florida, the bulk of their negotiating efforts centered around them. There wasn’t much in the way of serious conversations with any other club.

In other words Fletcher didn't even try to use the uncertainty of Giroux's preferences to his advantage at all.

Either that or the interested teams found out beforehand that Giroux wouldn't waive his NMC except for the Panthers.

In any case I enjoyed reading the article and thanks for posting it @pilldoc.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Plus this whole "Giroux would only accept the Panthers" line...If it's true (say it is), must we really assume the whole world knows it? It seems to me such valuable information would be kept secret until negotiations were complete. 

Panthers GM wasn't going to bid against himself that is a Flyer thing.

And how in the hell do you bluff noone.

You know this disgust offers from other teams some bluffing i imagine trying to work emotions and jobs on the line but when no one else is really interested because they ain't on the list it is moot.

And this is what you get.

Don't be that guy when someone hands you a hundred dollars in cash you still complain it's all singles...

:PopcornSmiley2:

49 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

My understanding, based on conversations with team sources, is that Bunnaman and Rubtsov were simply no longer part of the organization’s plans.

Not shocked they projected. They fail short it happens. The fact that they had to spend to get rid of them is a huge indicator but not shocking to me. Both underwhelmed.

52 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

but more likely hints that there are college free agent signings looming. Bobby Brink, Ronnie Attard and Noah Cates all could be signed when their seasons come to a close, and the Flyers might be in on some college UFAs as well.

This is as well known to be coming and then need to move a few more roster spots if they want o fit them all. Which i'm sure they might not be able to but could move in other deals.

53 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

In other words, think of Bunnaman, Rubtsov and the fifth-rounder almost as a separate deal. The core of the Giroux trade was Giroux for the 2024 first-rounder, the 2023 third and Tippett. That’s the “real” Giroux return.

Bingo.

I will wait to judge this as of now my crystal ball is in the shop. I wish those guys well it's business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

If the NMC significantly limited the return, you would expect the Flyers not to give out NMCs, but that seems like a pipe dream.

Because they are the only team in the league that is reported to hand those out.

In fact show me a team that doesn't have one. I'll wait.

I have no problem with handing out your teams best player. And he was. Flaws and all.

Not his fault that is management that let him and the team down.

That got as good as a return maybe as they could. All Chuck could have changed maybe was waiting till 3:58 pm to pull the trigger i think about all.

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is the first i have heard that never seen that mentioned any where.

Where are you getting this??

If it's a top ten pick, then Panthers keep it and we get 1st rnd in 2025

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ctid said:

If it's a top ten pick, then Panthers keep it and we get 1st rnd in 2025

Yeah i got that part where as in show me where you get that???

I have not seen that anywhere.

So no parrot needed.

2 minutes ago, ctid said:

Thank you. That kind of pisses me off some of these folks reported this leave out that little detail.

WTF would someone do this - and it was a few, unless they are trying to protect the Flyers.

Or just more bad journalism that plagues us today.

But i'm not worried that much, i expect that pick to be in the mid 20s any ways but still they could at least report it properly.

Thank you for doing so.

I really hope Brassard, JVR, Jones and Yandle join him out the door. Someone wake Chuck.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I did not know that until i read the article myself….

I also think the pick Florida sent for this year is top ten protected...so it could shift each of the next 1sts they traded a year back. But the odds of it being top 10 is pretty slim.

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I also think the pick Florida sent for this year is top ten protected...so it could shift each of the next 1sts they traded a year back. But the odds of it being top 10 is pretty slim.

So is someone lying here....this doesn't sound like he said it was Florida or nothing.

A mention of a "list" you can't have a list of "one team" it at least takes two you'd think to be labeled a "list"........ but WTF do i know.

What we will never know was this a knee jerk trade or was this really the best he could do??

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So is someone lying here....this doesn't sound like he said it was Florida or nothing.

A mention of a "list" you can't have a list of "one team" it at least takes two you'd think to be labeled a "list"........ but WTF do i know.

What we will never know was this a knee jerk trade or was this really the best he could do??

Fletcher probably got this and the Risto trade mixed up...he thought there was a list of teams bidding on Risto but he was the only one...he thought there was only one team Giroux would go to but there was a list. He's an amazing GM.

• Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is the possibility that Florida was "chosen" because they're not going to re-sign Giroux, so there's a chance he comes back?   Just wondering if that would have been the case in, say, Boston--where they may have tried to extend him.   I'm just suspicious they took less return for a "rental" so they could get him back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What is the possibility that Florida was "chosen" because they're not going to re-sign Giroux, so there's a chance he comes back?   Just wondering if that would have been the case in, say, Boston--where they may have tried to extend him.   I'm just suspicious they took less return for a "rental" so they could get him back.

Yes thank you. something i hadn't thought of.

Very well could be. I don't want to be haunted by this guy.

So if he was to sign somewhere i wish it to be out somewhere West.

• Like 1