deadline day deals

1 hour ago, Math said:

Well, so apparently the Stars are gonna lose Klingberg at the end of the season for nothing. That's ****** great...

That may happen, but apparently, they believe they can win THIS season and would rather have Kling onboard now and worry about later, later.

You'd know the Stars better than I, but even before the season began, I thought the Stars could be that sneaky team that flies under EVERYONE'S radar.
I had them ahead of the Wild, Predators, and Jets, battling with St. Louis, but behind the Avs.

Max Domi to the Canes.
Carolina hoping he comes alive as the Hurricane offense seems to be feast or famine.
They can't afford that in the playoffs.

Bolts pick up, yet again, Riley Nash.
They picked him up earlier in the year, were forced to put him on waivers as guys got healthy, and now they picked him up again.
Another versatile depth player to add to their core.

Rickard Rakell to the Pens, adding to the Penguins identity of being purveyors of fine shooting forwards.
Rakell has had a down year, but if he can regain ANYTHING of what made him a scoring threat with the Ducks, the Pens have another guy teams are going to have to account for along with the usual suspects of Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Letang as premier shooters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Max Domi to the Canes.
Carolina hoping he comes alive as the Hurricane offense seems to be feast or famine.
They can't afford that in the playoffs.

Good playmaker, but still weak on the defensive side of the game.

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That may happen, but apparently, they believe they can win THIS season and would rather have Kling onboard now and worry about later, later.

You'd know the Stars better than I, but even before the season began, I thought the Stars could be that sneaky team that flies under EVERYONE'S radar.
I had them ahead of the Wild, Predators, and Jets, battling with St. Louis, but behind the Avs.

Except the Avs being well above and the Coyotes and Hawks being at the bottom, all the rest was tight. But the only consistent thing with the Stars is their inconsistency. And this team has not enough depth to make a significant run in the playoffs if they managed to sneak in.

Another big question is revenue: is making the playoffs being a first round punching bag worth the additional $$$ with the two additional home games? In an ownership point of view, it seems that it is the case. So maybe the idea is to reamin as long as possible in the play-off hunt, generate interest and put butts in the seats, and then happens what happens.

The risk here is to re-do the Brad Richards thing: keep him in hope to make the playoffs, fail to reach that goal and lose him in UFA. I understand that Kligberg is a key piece to the Stars team but this season has been pretty schizo from his part where he's capable of winning a game all by himself, but losing games all by himself too. There's still a very slight chance that he signs with the Stars this summer but the raise will be massive and the team will have the most expensive top-4 D of the league with no possibility to improve in other position (The terrible Suter deal pretty much sealed the fate of Klingberg in Dallas). Then you have Robertson and Hintz to extend and you are stuck for the years to come.

At least there's some positive notes with Öttinger being a legit #1 NHL goalie and Harley showing some interesting stuff so far.

• Like 1