Homer's Body Language and Slurred Speach

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I admit this is psychobabble but wanted to get it off my chest. Homer's trade assessment that was on the net was interesting. It's one thing to be coy about intentions. But Homer seemed detached, and his voice and looks could be "Zen" or detached depending on view. My takeaways:

1) To say he is in no hurry to sign Grossman is an understatement. When a guy comes out and says something like "this gives him an opportunity to see if he likes us" my read is "let's see what we get from this guy and take it from there."

2) I thought Homer's speech pattern was interesting. Would I say he was lying? No. But he made no eye contact with the reporters and rambled. Yeah, he had phone calls with other teams...but when asked about other big deals he went silent for about 15 seconds and gave no real indicator to me of what was meant or said.

3) On two occasions he commented about the problems the team was experiencing of late. And he did not say they were short-term in the cycle of a season. He seemed to be inferring they were structural--at least that was my read.

Again, I am no psychologist but body language sometimes speaks more than words. My read was of a tired GM who sees some serious issues with the team and may know that Grossman was sort of a band-aid.

Best,

Howie

I'm not worried about a signifacant structural problem. The D can be fixed with a few well placed deals/signings. JVR (I hate to do it) for Scheen. Sign Suter or an equivilant in the off season and we are fine on D. Offence looks good and lets see what happens with Bryz. It could go good or bad at this point but we have to wait and see. He had 2 strong periods last night but might throw a cluncker against the Penguins tomorrow... Write pronger off but at the same time don't count him out. Squeeze the last out of Timmo but use him to teach the kids. Grossman clears the crease which we have not had all season really. If we can get Scheen that's a huge upgrade and let's face it, we are not REALLY missing JVR right now... Still have Bob as a trade piece but I'd prefer not to do that...

I'm not worried about a signifacant structural problem. The D can be fixed with a few well placed deals/signings. JVR (I hate to do it) for Scheen. Sign Suter or an equivilant in the off season and we are fine on D. Offence looks good and lets see what happens with Bryz. It could go good or bad at this point but we have to wait and see. He had 2 strong periods last night but might throw a cluncker against the Penguins tomorrow... Write pronger off but at the same time don't count him out. Squeeze the last out of Timmo but use him to teach the kids. Grossman clears the crease which we have not had all season really. If we can get Scheen that's a huge upgrade and let's face it, we are not REALLY missing JVR right now... Still have Bob as a trade piece but I'd prefer not to do that...

Unless JVR comes back and plays 2-3 decent games, I think he's off the table for this season.

I think that was pretty evident. With Pronger being done and Kimmo aging I think its obvious to everyone that this Defense is in bad shape and the future doesn't look like an easy fix. They're going to need some young D talent.

Agreed. I think that Homer has his hands full. Pronger's status is painful from a roster planning perspective...retirement/LTIR solves the problem...but if he comes back, what can we expect and for how long?

I guess we have to see!

Howie

Greetings:

I admit this is psychobabble but wanted to get it off my chest. Homer's trade assessment that was on the net was interesting. It's one thing to be coy about intentions. But Homer seemed detached, and his voice and looks could be "Zen" or detached depending on view. My takeaways:

1) To say he is in no hurry to sign Grossman is an understatement. When a guy comes out and says something like "this gives him an opportunity to see if he likes us" my read is "let's see what we get from this guy and take it from there."

2) I thought Homer's speech pattern was interesting. Would I say he was lying? No. But he made no eye contact with the reporters and rambled. Yeah, he had phone calls with other teams...but when asked about other big deals he went silent for about 15 seconds and gave no real indicator to me of what was meant or said.

3) On two occasions he commented about the problems the team was experiencing of late. And he did not say they were short-term in the cycle of a season. He seemed to be inferring they were structural--at least that was my read.

Again, I am no psychologist but body language sometimes speaks more than words. My read was of a tired GM who sees some serious issues with the team and may know that Grossman was sort of a band-aid.

Best,

Howie

The one thing that makes me think this is not even close to the end is this quote from one of Carchidi's articles:

"Asked if it was unlikely he would make a major move before the Feb. 27 trade deadline, Holmgren paused for a few seconds.

"Unlikely? I don't know if I'd use that word, but it's probably not something we're talking about at length," he said."

He didn't answer right away (thought process: "now what the hell do I say to not spill the beans?"), "[didn't] know" if he'd use the word "unlikely" (If it's not unlikely, it's likely, Paul), and had to qualify whether they were or weren't considering it twice (both "probably" and "at length"). Holmgren was grasping at straw after straw, trying desperately to avoid coming out and saying that he wants to do something big.

The more interesting element is that the quote above was from Carchidi's article, but it doesn't show the full prompt. Seravalli had an article up in which the preface to Homer saying what he did wasn't "major move," but "superstar forward."

"Holmgren then added to the intrigue, after being asked about Grossman, whether he'd use the term 'unlikely' to describe the Flyers' chances on landing a "superstar forward," a la Nash."

From there, Seravalli paraphrased the same quote Carchidi used.

Take that for what it's worth.

Edited by dilbert719

I don't see any real evidence to make the leap he was trying to hide a blockbuster trade he's been considering. I think EVERY GM has a fantasy about the big deal but most don't consider it realisticly... JVR for Scheen is about the biggest thing I could see happening... And that COULD be a good move.

I don't see any real evidence to make the leap he was trying to hide a blockbuster trade he's been considering. I think EVERY GM has a fantasy about the big deal but most don't consider it realisticly... JVR for Scheen is about the biggest thing I could see happening... And that COULD be a good move.

Charlie Sheen? That would be awesome!!!!

He would make our goaltender bi-winning!

well, it seems to be pretty common knowledge with the hockey insiders that homer is certainly kicking the tires on a nash deal. of course, it's also pretty obvious that the flyers are one of the outliers in the play for nash... so it's very unlikely. but, i'm sure homer is working the phones and some of the things he's talking about could be major shakeups. that's how homer rolls.

so, it just seemed to me that he was trying to give the press some verbiage for their columns without divulging too much.... that's all. these guys always have to be very careful what they say... especially in philly(i'm looking at you bryz) because the press is so rabid, you just never know how things might be construed.

The one thing that makes me think this is not even close to the end is this quote from one of Carchidi's articles:

"Asked if it was unlikely he would make a major move before the Feb. 27 trade deadline, Holmgren paused for a few seconds.

"Unlikely? I don't know if I'd use that word, but it's probably not something we're talking about at length," he said."

He didn't answer right away (thought process: "now what the hell do I say to not spill the beans?"), "[didn't] know" if he'd use the word "unlikely" (If it's not unlikely, it's likely, Paul), and had to qualify whether they were or weren't considering it twice (both "probably" and "at length"). Holmgren was grasping at straw after straw, trying desperately to avoid coming out and saying that he wants to do something big.

The more interesting element is that the quote above was from Carchidi's article, but it doesn't show the full prompt. Seravalli had an article up in which the preface to Homer saying what he did wasn't "major move," but "superstar forward."

"Holmgren then added to the intrigue, after being asked about Grossman, whether he'd use the term 'unlikely' to describe the Flyers' chances on landing a "superstar forward," a la Nash."

From there, Seravalli paraphrased the same quote Carchidi used.

Take that for what it's worth.

Agreed with you and other posters that these guys have to be careful and the fog of war may be at play; but I just didn't like the tone or appearance. If there is a blockbuster...so noted and my assessment will be valued at what it cost to put it here!

Best,

Howie

@Howie58

yeah, trading for Grossman is a bandaid. The Flyers needed a defensive defenseman. The Phantoms defense is also depleted with injuries. Yesterday they had to call up a player from the Echl and a walk on just to hold practice.

Could Grossman play himself into a contract, sure, but the one thing about bandaids is they are easily replaced with a new one.

If no major trade(s) is made this week, I would fully expect Homer to pull out all the stops to sing/acquire Weber or Suter in the offseason.

Still hoping for a Schenn trade. Get bigger (and younger) on D.

HEY AndyS!!! You made it over here!!!

We had lamented your departure in a few threads...and we tried to reach out to you via Philly.com's PM system but we didnt know if it was functioning or not.

Welcome back!

@Poulin20 Hey there! Great to be here! I hadn't wasted time on the old forum for a long time, but when I popped in recentlly, HF101 saw me & invited me over here.

Great to see all you guys again!

Edited by AndyS

Wow! Good on HF101! for finding you!!

You will love it here, Digityman puts in a ton of time and effort to make this place run.

We need some of your positive thinking as most of us, including me, are so down due to Bryz.

I wonder if we can find PF85 and JRATT over there as there are others who are MIA since the great exodus.

From what little bit I know about Toronto's Schenn,the reason he is available,Burkie is not happy with his performance,Wilson has reduced his playing time,just not doing too well.Homer acquiring two guys with later round picks is the way to go.Both of these guys have a track record,not quite the crap shoot Schenn would be. There still that nagging problem with goal tending:Now what Homer?

I'm not worried about a signifacant structural problem.

The Flyers have a structural problem: They have Pronger on LTIR for the duration of his contract, which causes major headaches over the summer and has already cost the Flyers draft picks for rental players. They have Briere for 3 more seasons at $6.5MM; he'll probably top out this season at 20 goals/50 points and head down from there. Oh yeah, and they have a guy named Bryzgalov for 8 more years who has forgotten what a puck looks like.

The Flyers glaring structural problem is that they have $17MM in cap space tied up in players who don't give them a sufficient return. It is tough to win in this league with that.