Gill To Nashville - Suter maybe moved after all?

Guest activestick

Am I crazy to say that I really don't think Suter is the kind of D-man we need right now? Not saying he would not vastly improve our D-corps, but b/w Weber and Suter, I think Weber is the D-man we so desperately need to replace Pronger! I know we just got Grossman to help keep the porch clean, but why settle on a garden hose if a power washer were made available?

Getting back to reality though, I don't see Weber or Suter coming here at the deadline, so it is likely a moot point. I like the Grossman deal to be honest. Hope I'll still be thinking that after tomorrows game!

Am I crazy to say that I really don't think Suter is the kind of D-man we need right now? Not saying he would not vastly improve our D-corps, but b/w Weber and Suter, I think Weber is the D-man we so desperately need to replace Pronger! I know we just got Grossman to help keep the porch clean, but why settle on a garden hose if a power washer were made available?

Getting back to reality though, I don't see Weber or Suter coming here at the deadline, so it is likely a moot point. I like the Grossman deal to be honest. Hope I'll still be thinking that after tomorrows game!

Getting Grossman actually strengthens our bargaining power by reducing our perceived need to address defense. If we do end up getting Weber or Suter, we can just let Grossman walk. No harm, no foul.

We can also use Carle as a trade chip if necessary to clear cap space. I've not advocated trading Carle, but with the addition of Grossman, you could conceiveably trade one of the veteran Dmen. We'd miss Carle's puck moving ability, but if you can add Weber (still a longshot), he'd replace most of that.

@ Adamflyer

I agree Suter is not what we need. He is Timonen 10 years ago. Nice player, but Weber is the only guy in my opinion.

Wait until July 1 and offer Weber 8 years at 7 mil per. We'll have the room with Carle and Pronger off the books. I beleive anything less than 7.8 per year is 2 firsts, a second and a third?

Nashville would match that wouldn't they?

maybe and then maybe he throws a hissy and sits out...

depends on what kind of season they have i think.... if they bomb out in the first round losing games 3-2 , 2-1 and the like he might be willing to look elsewhere for a team with some offense that he can lead. Also if Suter goes I think he will want out, it will show that Nashville isn't interested in building and keeping a winner. Now would he want to come here and play for our "experts on defensive hockey" fan base is another story , but i have a feeling that he wants to play for a winner, he'd prefer to bring the winner to nashville at least what i seem to remember reading that somewhere, but dude wants to win. so do we. Nashville ownership, probably but might not have the resources that comcast/spectracore has.

Is Nashville a cheap organization or has cheap ownership or something? I feel like I get that impression or may have heard that. Is there any truth to that?

I thought I read hockey was doing rather well in Nashville. It is a blue collar type town with mostly white people so it's kinda' the perfect demographic.

@Phillygrump

SoCal is right the team is pretty popular, especially since they've been making the playoffs. The ownership group to this point has not wanted to retain any of their well scouted and developed players, kimo timmonen and scott Hartnell say howdy as one example Dan Ellis says hello as a more recent one, although Rinne was waiting in the wings...

I've also read that this is the first year in franchise history the gm will be allowed to spend to the cap. So while the team has been good they've never had the resources to take the next step...

So I guess I could have just said yes thry're cheap. But I think the answer is more nuanced.

The headline for this discussion was exactly what I thought when I saw Gill was traded. I don't know what it means but I agree that Grossman gives the Flyers back depth and makes them in a stronger position to go after another D man.