Melnyk dies, age 62

Puck_Pun

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ottawa-senators-owner-eugene-melnyk-62-dies-after-fight-with-unspecified-illness/ar-AAVBM2X

Longtime Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk died after a bout with an unspecified illness Monday, his family and the team announced in a joint statement. He was 62.

Melnyk died peacefully and surrounded by his family, according to the statement from the Senators and his family, after fighting "an illness he faced with determination and courage." The joint statement did not provide additional details on the nature or duration of the illness. Melnyk received a liver transplant in 2015 that he had termed life-saving. 

Described by the Senators and his family as "a proud Canadian" and "a passionate hockey fan," Melnyk had owned the Senators for nearly two decades. A Canadian businessman and horse racing breeder, he purchased the team out of bankruptcy in 2003 for $92 million.

From NFL plays to college sports scores, all the top sports news you need to know every day.

"While successful in business, it was our game and his Senators that he was most passionate about," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. "Eugene was often outspoken but he maintained an unwavering commitment to the game and his roots and he loved nothing more than donning a Senators sweater and cheering on his beloved team."

The Senators made nine playoff appearances during his tenure as owner, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007 and the conference finals in 2017.

"Mr. Melnyk provided me, my teammates, and many Sens players who came before us with an opportunity to live out our dream," Senators team captain Brady Tkachuk wrote on Twitter on Monday night. "The Ottawa community will miss you greatly. Condolences to your family."

Melnyk is survived by his mother, Vera; sister, Lydia; partner, Sharilyne; and two children, Anna and Olivia.

The Ottawa Sun reported Monday that the team is expected to remain under family control. "I’ve set this up so it’s in my family for generations," Melnyk previously told the newspaper.

With all due condolences to the family, I think many fans would welcome a change in ownership style at the top, if indeed, his successor will do things differently.

I don't know the whole story of course, but I've heard from many Senators fans that Ottawa's greatest rival is themselves and how they handled (or mishandled) talent, contracts, and many other things starting with ownership.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

With all due condolences to the family, I think many fans would welcome a change in ownership style at the top, if indeed, his successor will do things differently.

I don't know the whole story of course, but I've heard from many Senators fans that Ottawa's greatest rival is themselves and how they handled (or mishandled) talent, contracts, and many other things starting with ownership.

So true...hopefully new ownership is better. There's some nice young talent on the Sens....Tkachuk, Stutzle, Formenton, Norris, Batherson...and some great prospects in Sanderson, Greig, Pinto, Boucher and plenty more.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

From what I gather it'll be passed on to his daughters. If they have sense they'll shift to a style more commonly seen in other teams - that is, be seen and not heard and let the people they hire to run the club do their job without interference.