Suter and Weber

Guest JackStraw

I don't mean this to knock either of these guys, or to suggest that the Flyers shouldn't be interested in one or the other. But a little reality... I watched some of Detroit vs Nashville tonight, the Wings won 2-1 and Detroit's 2 goals came at the expense of Weber and Suter. 1st goal, Datsyuk comes down the left wing against Weber, he tries to turn back towards the blue line and loses an edge, falls flat on the ice near the boards. Lying there he reaches out and slides the puck to Bertuzzi who slips it to Franzen (I think) who scores. Not that Weber played it horribly but he did let a prone Datsyuk get a pass right past him.

2nd goal, Datsyuk (again) turns Suter inside out about 15 ft in front of the Nashville goal and scores the game winner with 5 seconds left.

Now granted, it was Datsyuk both times, and I'm not suggesting that any Flyers defenseman would have done any better. But these guys do make mistakes/get beaten. It will happen, no matter how much the Flyers were to give up to get one or the other.

Edited by JackStraw

Datsyuk has to be the most underrated player in the NHL.

Probably in reality, having the best 3 sets of d-men is likely better than one over-paid d-man.

Datsyuk is only underrated by people who don't know hockey. He is one of THE best players in the league, and definately the best all around player. Wasn't he picked first in the allstar draft?

Weber would only be overpaid if you overpaid him. Look at it this way, do you think Pronger is worth $5 million a year? Almost everyone on the old board argued with a very few of us that Pronger was a steal at that. We got ONE year out of him on a 7 year deal. Nice. Would you add 2 million to Prongers deal if he could magically turn the clock back TEN years AND learn to skate? I would. That's basically what you'd get in Weber. Of course having the other ridiculous contracts for over the hill players basically takes us out of that conversation anyway.

Wasn't he picked first in the allstar draft?

Well yeah, Chara won the toss. I highly doubt Alfie would have picked him first. Look at his ranking during fhl drafts, he is often a mid to late first round pick.

Pronger would have been worth 5M a year if he didn't take an unfortunate stick to the eye. I'd rather see Weber in the 6-6.5M dollar range, but I can see a team paying 7M for him.

Well yeah, Chara won the toss. I highly doubt Alfie would have picked him first. Look at his ranking during fhl drafts, he is often a mid to late first round pick.

Fantasy hockey is not real hockey. If I'm building a real team, I want Datsyuk on it. Way before I want say, Ovechkin.

The reality for me comes into light with the price. 1st, we'll have to give up big time roster players plus our 1st for either one. Then there is the price (cap hit) and ohh, did I mention they could be GONE after this year and we will have given up major assets... Walk away, quickly walk away...