Anyone else noticed Engelland running Giroux and Briere?

Guest pensuck

Obviously no retaliation to worry about with this lineup. He can drop them with the best. Anyone who says fighting doesn't belong

in the league has to understand that this would happen every game. The star players would be laid out every game. There would be no fear of retaliation.

Anyone who says fighting doesn't belong

in the league has to understand that this would happen every game. The star players would be laid out every game. There would be no fear of retaliation.

what "fear" would there be, even if the flyers had a heavy weight in the lineup? you think engelland would be literally and actually "afraid"?

fighting belongs in the game, but that isn't why. guys like engelland are professional fighters; they aren't going to be "afraid" of getting in another fight. you'd never see pre-arraigned fights if these guys were afraid.

Then why arent star players run at every game all game long? I'm not using fear as he's afraid of getting into a fight. How about situational

awereness. He knows noone in that lineup today was going to challenge him. If you run at the star player 9 out of 10 times you get into a fight. It happens quite a bit.

Then afterwards they usually stop running your star player. Afraid, no. But they know whats coming.

Which is why the Flyers can't run Engeland. You are right..he isn't going to back down. You run Malkin..you run Kunitz..you run Crosby if he's healthy. It's not about fighting..it's about intimidation-it's about responding when challenged. Giroux got smoked today..and no one hit a Penguin in return. No one!! That is disgusting...any good team...if their star gets hit..will try to come at the other team. This team doesn't..maybe Lavy doesn't want them to. But at some point, the line needs to be drawn, and the team needs to respond. Even if it costs a game. You lose the game, you but you set a precedent going forward. All the Flyers showed today, besides how bad their goaltending sucks, is that they will allow themselves to get pushed around in their own barn. For further example, how did they retalitate for the Stall hit on Coburn? Coburn is a top 2 dman for this team..he gets a cheap shot and what happens. Not a damn thing...the team lets it go. When they game is 6-3 in the 3rd, you have to respond..somehow, someway.

Just disgusted right now...this team is a rat fart away from missing the playoffs if they don't pick it up SOON. We all think they are too talented to miss the playoffs, well let's look at the standing...this team is 3 points from 7th, and another slump away from 9th-or worse. Plenty of time to turn it around, but they need to start playing 60 mins of hockey, and they need their goaltenders to show up! Both of them!!

Then why arent star players run at every game all game long? I'm not using fear as he's afraid of getting into a fight. How about situational

awereness. He knows noone in that lineup today was going to challenge him.

Afraid, no. But they know whats coming.

so, what is coming? a fight? the thing they are paid to do, and the thing that we agree they aren't afraid of?

if he isn't afraid, then why would he care? what would situational awareness have to do with anything if you agree there isn't any particular deterrent value to the threat of a fight? engelland sees some strategic value for his team if he hits a flyers' star, but if there were a fighter in the flyers lineup, he wouldn't...though he isn't actually concerned about getting into a fight in any meaningful way. what kind of sense does that make? he'd stop doing the thing that helps his team to make sure he doesn't have to do a thing he doesn't really care if he has to do. huh?

all of it is a myth. all of it.

And how did that happen? Any big hit's? Not 1 that I saw. He learned from the best recent diver of all times in Cindy. Watch the game again and you may be able to pick up on it...

I was at the game, and while there was some going after malkin(mostly just hartnell) the only time I saw him on his *** was on some dives and losing his footing.

I was at the game, and while there was some going after malkin(mostly just hartnell) the only time I saw him on his *** was on some dives and losing his footing.

That's exactly what I saw. Hartnell tried to hit him but he was ready for it. 0 hard checks and definately not knocked on his ***.

what "fear" would there be, even if the flyers had a heavy weight in the lineup? you think engelland would be literally and actually "afraid"?

fighting belongs in the game, but that isn't why. guys like engelland are professional fighters; they aren't going to be "afraid" of getting in another fight. you'd never see pre-arraigned fights if these guys were afraid.

not to mention,going after a guy for running a guy means slowing the tempo and thus ruining the game ;p

I disagree...have you read anything regarding enforcers? Especially about Boogaard (sp). Many enforcers can't sleep the night before a big game with a rival heavyweight. Surely not ALL because of "fear", but there's the expectation hanging over their heads. They know they're supposed to "protect" their star players and throw some big checks. Teams still need guys that can drop the gloves in case things get out of control, and of course guys are going to be a BIT more apprehensive if they know someone is going to come after them.