I am beginning to give up on Bryz

Guest trevluk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see a good goalie there. Someone tell me something positive about this guys game. Other than he's yet to skate out there with his equipment on backwards...which wouldn't surprise me in the least. I can't believe you Philadelphians haven't run him out of town yet. And you call yourselfs Flyer fans...shame on you!

You can't say we aren't complaining....we're complaining as well as we know how. And he should give the backward equipment a shot. It might help. Yesterday was perhaps his worst performance yet. Staal's goal!! He watched go by his face and he whiffed! Just pathetic.

People like to bash both of them but I'll take Bob thanks. At least he works hard, isn't a head case, makes 1/5 of Bryz' obscene salary and is only a second year player after all.

Can anybody remember one game this season that Bryzo or Bobbo stole,not to mention their outstanding shootout record.In ten days it will be March,when is the try out over?

There was an Islander game a while back where they thoroughly outplayed us up and down the ice and BOB stood on his head and stole the win. I remember it vividly as it was a very rare event to witness as a Flyer fan.

And the worst part is 8 more years of this???????

What ever happened to dating awhile?

YOU DON'T JUST JUMP INTO MARRIAGE!!!!!

Cause thats pretty much what this is...............

Only if he stays. Only if he can take it. That little post-game interview with the media yesterday was concerning. Wow. I don't think Bryz has the mental stability right now to play in this city. I wish him the best, and hope he finds his game again, but it does not look good for him right now. I would play him every single game until he gets better or implodes. No matter how many goals he lets in. That is the only solution to getting to the bottom with this guy at this stage.

This is as good a time as any to revisit Derek Morris's comments from early in the season and see what we think now. Back then we were all a little surprised. Now???

“I’m glad he’s gone because the guy we brought in has done a great job and fit in real well, made our team even closer,” veteran defenseman Derek Morris said in an interview with Coyotes radio. “There was some animosity there with Bryzgalov sometimes. We don’t have that with (new goalie Mike Smith) so we have a good group and we’re winning games because of it.”

Morris wasn’t done. He went on to predict what it was going to be like playing against his former goalie.

“We have to throw a lot of pucks at Bryzgalov,” Morris said. “He’s known for letting in bad goals, you know, so I think our mindset is going to be get the puck down behind the net and hopefully he comes out and plays a few because he doesn’t like to do that.

“We have to put some pressure on him. We’ve got to make it a tough night; we have to have guys in front, we’ve got to be banging away at rebounds. He gets frustrated that way.”

Now we have a GM mortgaging the future to save the team butt.That is Carchidi's take...is there agreement? It bugs me.

No way to know before 2.27. You have to play Bryz. Every game possible. Keep him in no matter how many goals against. He gets better or implodes. Find out before the playoffs. Howie, I sincerely do not think Bryz will last that long. He is a mental case right now. Did you catch that post game press conference? As of this weekend we do have 2 better defensemen in front of him. Sure there was a cost. At least more experienced and hopefully leadershipped. You hope that helps. I see the PP better. Maybe a silver lining? Will Laviolette be forced to throttle back a bit on the attack and go more defensive? Does he even have it in him? Time will tell....

Bear:

I am in Jersey this weekend to visit Dad. I saw the last two periods and felt sick. Two shorthanded goals plus incompetence. I didn't see Bryz's antics but as Carchidi said, candor over incompetence is a style that wears thin. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. And yes, perhaps they will run him into the ground.

Giving up all these picks bugs me. It just seems like a throwback to a different...and worse time. Is Homer turning into Clarke Redux?

The other take: Homer knows that Pronger isn't coming back..and Homer wants a senior statesman back there?

Be good Bear!

Howie

Now we have a GM mortgaging the future to save the team butt.That is Carchidi's take...is there agreement? It bugs me.

Carchidi is a hack. Most of the draft picks traded away were not even the Flyers picks, and Homer turned them into NHLers, not prospects. Kalinski was made irrelevant with Rinaldo and Sestito.

We shall see how many acquisitions are resigned/extended. That will ultimately determine how good the moves really were.

Carchidi is a hack. Most of the draft picks traded away were not even the Flyers picks, and Homer turned them into NHLers, not prospects. Kalinski was made irrelevant with Rinaldo and Sestito.

We shall see how many acquisitions are resigned/extended. That will ultimately determine how good the moves really were.

Doom,

You are correct--time will be a good judge here. I don't think Carchidi is too bad. My concern is is belief that these trades done to cover Bryz. That is part of the deal. But that is one man's opinion.

H

Yes. It's long past time. I would pick Bob - as everyone already knows. Bob has not been good off the bench this year. Guess what? Very few are because it's extremely hard to do, come in cold and shut down a team who's already chased your starter. It takes experience and a lot of support to be in that constant mindset, ready to go in at a moment's notice.

Brian Boucher was good at it. It took him 10 years to become good at it.

We're asking a 2nd-year Russian goalie who is just learning the NHL game, who barely speaks the language to come in and save the day - after Bryzgalov has stunk up the joint and deflated our skaters to the point where they must be saying to themselves "Screw this sh-t" by the time Bob gets in the game.

Let's give Bob the rest of the season - OR - give it to Bryzgalov - publicly. Pick one and sink or swim. Because Aziz is right this 4, 5 games then switch - it obviously isn't working.

absolutely to all of it. to the highlighted... it really does feel like a version of the same goalie carousel they were hoping to avoid. they are just better at masking it this year.

@doom88-

"Carchidi is a hack. Most of the draft picks traded away were not even the Flyers picks, and Homer turned them into NHLers, not prospects. Kalinski was made irrelevant with Rinaldo and Sestito.

We shall see how many acquisitions are resigned/extended. That will ultimately determine how good the moves really were."

This is it in a nutshell. If either of them re-sign, then it is fine. Something had to be done- if for no other reason to save Gus' and Bourdons development because they were getting scorched allot and making (particularly Bourdon) many mistakes.

I kind of hate the rental thing- especially when we have no shot. If both Kubina and Grossman were to re-sign, then I would have no problem with trading the picks.

If the flyers sign both, you effectively look at it this way:

1) Veersteeg + a 3rd and an AHLer (Kalinski) traded for Kubina. Keep in mind it was last years version of Veersteeg, not this years.

2) Richards + a 4th traded for Schenn AND Simmonds AND Grossman.

When looking at it in that light, both deals seem very strong (not withstanding the fact that we gave Toronto a 1st round pick for Veersteeg in the first place).

If both Kubina and Grossman were to re-sign, then I would have no problem with trading the picks.

Exactly. I'm ok with it. So there's a bunch of UFA D-men. Re-sign the ones you want, based on their performance over the next few months, i.e. competition. Works for me

they are just better at masking it this year.

Yes, exactly right. And I can kinda understand Lavy's position - neither goalie has ramped up his game to claim the #1 spot - or even earn himself multiple starts. 2 good games in a row is all we've seen from Bryzgalov the entire season. Same thing for Bob.

it's a lousy situation Commander. Yes it is. Lousy.

Agree. If we traded those picks for rentals, Homer is an idiot. If he re-signs them to REASONABLE contracts WITHOUT NTCs, good moves. If he overpays them and gives NTCs, he's an idiot.

Agree. If we traded those picks for rentals, Homer is an idiot. If he re-signs them to REASONABLE contracts WITHOUT NTCs, good moves. If he overpays them and gives NTCs, he's an idiot.

Unfortunately, one or both are almost certainly rentals. The Flyers salary is at $67MM. They are $5MM over due to Pronger's LTIR. After this season, Betts and Laperriere come off for sure and maybe Jagr but that's it. Grossman is going to get a raise, as will Carle if he stays. Long story short, they probably can't keep Kubina.

I can't believe you Philadelphians haven't run him out of town yet. And you call yourselfs Flyer fans...shame on you!

We are trying, FC. And you can see he starts getting flustered by the boos and how media asks questions. Problem is, there is very little the Flyers can do, at least right now. No GM - unless he he had an extra donse of Xanax - will trade fro this joke of a goaltender, even for free, let alone considering this unbelivable stupid contract... The Flyers' hands are tied. I just can't see anything happening until at least this summer - at earliest.

Unfortunately, one or both are almost certainly rentals. The Flyers salary is at $67MM. They are $5MM over due to Pronger's LTIR. After this season, Betts and Laperriere come off for sure and maybe Jagr but that's it. Grossman is going to get a raise, as will Carle if he stays. Long story short, they probably can't keep Kubina.

There won't be enough roster spots to keep Carle, Grossman, and Kubina. You already have Timonen, Coburn, and Meszaros. One of those spots should be saved for a young and/or cheap player, so I see at most 2 of the 3 resigned. I think Grossman can be had for relatively cheap, so it comes down to how the other two play, plus their contract demands.

@terp

And this would be the part I don't get. Are we Kubina and Grossman away from contending? OK, I know, funniest thing you've read on here. So what's the point of trading a bunch of picks for rentals? Other than Homer hates 2nd round picks...

I think it is a business decision. Comcast makes a lot of money from a deep playoff run, so they sacrifice the picks. It isn't a stretch to say that Comcast's bottom line is antithetical to the type of decisions that need to be made to build a Cup winning team. This is one example of how that works.

There was another factor that had a lot to do with the decision to "go rental": Pronger's contract and the need to be cap compliant in the off season. They really had no alternative to what they did based upon the constraints of a. Needing to load up in an effort to serve Comcast's bottom line and b. Remaining cap compliant during the off season. The CBA is coming up, and while that creates a lot of uncertainty, one thing I'm pretty sure of is that the Flyers will be looking for a CBA based solution to Pronger's contract (there is little doubt at this point his career is over). I also suspect that they will be leading advocates for a one time buy out provision to accompany the new CBA. Unfortunately (especially for you since you are one of his leading critics) I don't think Bryzgalov will be bought out. He of course deserves to be sent away but it would be too embarrassing, so they won't. I think Briere will be bought out though. That will free up $6.5MM to sign a new #1 defenseman.

Edited by terp

Are we Kubina and Grossman away from contending?

why not? where were you people a few years ago when we had micheal freaking leighton in net and came one OT goal away from game 7 of the finals?

seriously, how does this lesson not get learned? 16 teams are contenders every year. if a pair of big dmen go some distance to insultaing questionable goaltending, so much the better.

i really can't get my head around this "realistically, we don't have a shot" crap. who gives a crap about realistically? a stronger team heading into april makes for a more enjoyable post season. that's a good thing. would you rather the flyers limp into the playoffs with nothing to show but a few extra later round picks to show for it?

2nd round picks are in of themselves all but worthless. example: from the famously deep 2003 draft class, 8 2nd round picks have become NHL players of any significance. and that's if you call maxime laperriere and sean o'sullivan significant NHL players. 2002? 7, and that includes trevor daley and matt greene. 95% of what you draft in the 2nd round and spend years developing, you can grab better every summer from the UFA pile for cheap. screw 2nd round picks. if you can turn them into actual on-ice assets, it's a win.

Edited by aziz