Report: Flyers, Jackets discussing Nash deal

Guest Digityman

He can't handle the pressure. Toast.

Doom:

Ok, what next. Flyers just got Kubina. I think that makes 51 contracts. I think Lilja and probably Carl is now very expendable. Put they still need a puck handling defenseman if Carl gets moved.

I think a larger trade is coming. This has been Holmgren's MO.

Carle, JVR, Bryz, Schenn or Courtier to Columbus for Nash and Mason? Too much? A defenseman from Columbus?

Bear

I just don't get all the love for Nash. A really nice player, but is he THE MISSING LINK to a championship? I mean really 7.8M? And for all that what do we get from it? 10 more goals a year?? I would rather have Weber for 7.8M or Schneider from Vancouver. This team has no problems scoring goals. Why give up your future #1 / #2 centers?

Doom:

Ok, what next. Flyers just got Kubina. I think that makes 51 contracts. I think Lilja and probably Carl is now very expendable. Put they still need a puck handling defenseman if Carl gets moved.

I think a larger trade is coming. This has been Holmgren's MO.

Carle, JVR, Bryz, Schenn or Courtier to Columbus for Nash and Mason? Too much? A defenseman from Columbus?

Bear

I hate when fans want to ship off a guy as soon as he slumps, but I am totally on board with doing that to Bryz. He isn't just playing bad, he is outing his craziness through the media, which never ends well. He won't last in this city. I would offer JVR, Carle, Bryz, and a 1st for Nash and Mason. I think JVR could also be pushing the patience of the team with this season in addition to his desire to stay in college a few years ago. Carle most likely won't be resigned, so we're not losing too much there. Hopefully the 1st would be a late one since we're making a push for this year's playoffs, something I just don't get. But we're already down the road, so we need to fix our real problem and hope that a change of scenery helps Mason out, although odds are it won't. At least Mason would be here only another year, so we either give the reigns to Bob or we go back to square 1 on finding another "franchise" goale.

If Columbus pushes for a young talent, I pull back the first and offer Schenn. I believe that would actually save us a couple million off the cap so we could resign Kubina or bring in another D in the offseason. Still, though, I don't think we're a Cup contender this year, so I hate that we're making such a push. But what's done is done.

I hate when fans want to ship off a guy as soon as he slumps, but I am totally on board with doing that to Bryz. He isn't just playing bad, he is outing his craziness through the media, which never ends well. He won't last in this city. I would offer JVR, Carle, Bryz, and a 1st for Nash and Mason. I think JVR could also be pushing the patience of the team with this season in addition to his desire to stay in college a few years ago. Carle most likely won't be resigned, so we're not losing too much there. Hopefully the 1st would be a late one since we're making a push for this year's playoffs, something I just don't get. But we're already down the road, so we need to fix our real problem and hope that a change of scenery helps Mason out, although odds are it won't. At least Mason would be here only another year, so we either give the reigns to Bob or we go back to square 1 on finding another "franchise" goale.

If Columbus pushes for a young talent, I pull back the first and offer Schenn. I believe that would actually save us a couple million off the cap so we could resign Kubina or bring in another D in the offseason. Still, though, I don't think we're a Cup contender this year, so I hate that we're making such a push. But what's done is done.

I assume you were Navy. My dad was Navy WWII. USS Alabama and Bon Homme Richard. He saw some real action in The Pacific. Thanks for your service, sir.

Did Bryz slump, or is it just what he is and what we got? I have to think the Flyers did due diligence there, but sure seems like we got a Pig-In-A-Poke. I would play him until he corrects or implodes. Nothing in between. I am concerned about his play, but more concerned about his craziness through the media and overall questionalable mental state with Tigers and The Universe, which as you say, never ends well. I agree, based on present, Bryz won't last in this city. I am on board, offer JVR, Carle, Bryz, and a 1st for Nash and Mason. JVR is a project and I see him as a malcontent, not good for the team. I have no problem with him staying in college a few years ago, but I think the hype is greater than the act. No chance of another Sharp situation with this kid. Carle will not be resigned, not for upwards of $5M. He might be worth $3m. Beats me why we are making a push for this year's playoffs. As you say, we are already down the road. Mason might be a surprise. What goalie looks good playing for the dead last and worst team in the NHL? Only a year. I would never give up Schenn or Courtier. That is where I draw the line. Keep the youth if you are giving up picks like candy like Holmgren is. Well as you say, what's done is done, but I don't think everything is done yet..

We really have a great young core. Eleven of them being rookies and because we are not the best of the best right now all I keep seeing are you guys talking about trading half the team away for ******* Nash? WHY!!!!!!!!!!! How many ******* times do we half to do this stupid ******** and not get anything out of it. Trading young guys for the star player who takes a dump here every freaking time...enough guys just be patient!!! Coots, Schenn, JVR 1sts, thats all I keep seeing here....wtf??????

Edited by Philly29

What we already have traded away 4 or 5 draft picks for two big dman. Grossman should of been plenty then we go out and trade for Kubina, we are trading away the future again for the now. Then when the Flyers do make this trades you guys will be crying next year because we have no youth in the cupboard.... stupid

I get the desire to move Bryz, but I wonder if he is actually the one involved with these talks. I bet it is Bob.(Bryz makes more sense vs. Nash's cap number, but I think they're talking Bob.)

Assuming it's Bryz, though, I'm not really thrilled. While Nash could be fun, I don't think he addresses any problem we have. We are fine on offense. And while I was quite late to the party in becoming convinced that Bryz is horrible, i don't think Mason is much of an upgrade. Sure, he costs less so you're more in line for getting what you're paying for...but I *REALLY* hate the idea of a Mason-Bob tandem in net. Really hate it. If they turn around and then trade Bob for a competent goaltender, then maybe I can stomach it better. But I really think Bob = Nitty, so let's just say I'm not a fan.

Plus, how often do big trades pan out for teams getting the 'superstar'?

How did the Thornton trade work out for SJ? Always a bridesmaid, in their case (that's actually being generous). Or the Kessel trade? Boston just won a Cup and Toronto is on the playoff bubble.

How about Lindros? How ******* painful was it to watch Colorado hoist the Cup not ONCE but TWICE with Forsberg?

And both trades this summer seem to be working out fine for us because we got rid of the 'superstars' and brought in solid young talent!

So, in that light, would Nash be any different? Would the cost offset the gain? It's a good point that you guys bring up about staying away from Nash. Scoring is definitely not our problem. But you know the Flyers front office and how they think. They were getting chubbys when they heard Bobby Ryan was available. And scoring was not our problem. Now they're pitching a tent over Nash?

Imagine how much MORE pissed off you'd be if we actually traded, say, an impact player, a prospect, and a 1st rounder for Bryz.

So, while I think Nash and Giroux would be a pretty sick combo, we will get weaker in other areas.

Oh, and what would you guys say if they traded Hartnell for Nash in some sort of package? Hartnell's value is the highest its ever been, and I would venture to say he's peaked. Nash is younger, more talented, and plays a similar role to Hartnell.

Hehe, see? There I go saying I don't want Nash, and I finish it off by talking about a hypothetical that would bring Nash here. Dammit... I got Flyers Flu.