Pavel Kubina has been traded to Philadelphia for a 2nd and a 5th

Guest brelic

Baseless speculation ahoy!

Exhibit A: our goalies suck.

Exhibit B: we added 2 defensemen in, what, 48 hours? Too many defensemen, not enough time.

Exhibit C: we are over 50 contracts, therefore must package players.

Therefore:

Islanders get Matt Carle, Jon Kalinski (or some other schlub)

Flyers get Evgeni Nabokov and whatever else.

WARNING: Baseless, sourceless, almost certainly truth-free content. But what the hell.

It is called critical thinking, not baseless. Carle is a little pricey, and the Flyers are over the cap. The Flyers just acquired two defenseman. Something has to give.

Try thinking for yourself one day, if you can get away from being an *** for a few seconds.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nash has a NMC that I believe travels with him. We can't just turn him over.

Steve mason sucks, but probably no more than bryz... And he's much cheaper and clear after next season.

NMC/NTC do NOT necessarily travel with the player. See Jeff Carter and Mike Richards now.

@canoli

The only realistic way we can move Bryz to Columbus is if we sweeten the pot with a Schenn or Couturier to erase the Carter mistake..which, as another poster mentioned is like giving up Richards and Carter for essentially nothing.

I can see: Bryz, Couturier, JVR for : Nash and Mason. We then deal Carle to a contender for our some of our pics back that we gave up in the Grossman/Kubina deals.

@canoli

The only realistic way we can move Bryz to Columbus is if we sweeten the pot with a Schenn or Couturier to erase the Carter mistake..which, as another poster mentioned is like giving up Richards and Carter for essentially nothing.

I can see: Bryz, Couturier, JVR for : Nash and Mason. We then deal Carle to a contender for our some of our pics back that we gave up in the Grossman/Kubina deals.

It would cost more than those 3 for Nash AND Mason.

It is called critical thinking, not baseless. Carle is a little pricey, and the Flyers are over the cap. The Flyers just acquired two defenseman. Something has to give.

Try thinking for yourself one day, if you can get away from being an *** for a few seconds.

Hrm. I think you might have misunderstood me. I was calling my own speculation (Carle to NYI) baseless, not yours. Self-deprecation, and all that. Unless, of course, you were calling me an *** for making fun of myself, in which case, by all means go ahead.

Just a general thought about whether the Flyers are finished with trades this year. Holmgren isn't finished, I see another D coming our way and Carle going the other way in that deal or another. I think the Flyers like Carle but not at the $$ he will command. Carle's a goner for sure. Maybe Schenn is still coming our way.

Edited by exPhillyGuy

I live in the US and have no idea what that is. However, thanks for the info!

Hot Stove is a weekly segment on Hockey Night in Canada after the 2nd period of whatever national broadcast they're airing. It's a great segment with knowledgeable guys, and sometimes Milbury ;)

I'm afraid after all d-man occurred Timmo is goner because he was complaint a lot for last couple weeks. Him and jvr could be going to Columbus

About Bryzgoalie he is not going anywhere at least until end of season

I'm afraid after all d-man occurred Timmo is goner because he was complaint a lot for last couple weeks. Him and jvr could be going to Columbus

About Bryzgoalie he is not going anywhere at least until end of season

Timo has a no-movement clause in his contract. There is no way he will waive that to go to Columbus. No way the Flyers would even ask him to do that either.

I love these past two trades.......We HAVE great Scroers on the Flyers. Jagr, Giroux, Read, and we have Role players on this team Cotourier,JVR,Simmonds, And Now we have stay at home defenceman, Grossman and Kubina, We have plenty od scoring so we dont need to worry about the Dfenceman who is ginna Score, we need the defenceman who could care less about scoring ,but wont allow the other team to get a shot on goal. THIS will allow Bryz and Bobs to play better because thier workload will be much easier. i was a season ticketholder during the Cup season of 1973-74, we had shutdown defenceman like Joe Watson, Jim Watson, Moose Dupont and Larry Goodenough. So the opposition was LUCKY to get 12 shots a game and those shots were LOW percentage. No Wonder Bernie had 12 shutouts, My Dog could have gotten 12 shutouts with that defence. So Enjoy it Flyers fans...good times begin RIGHT NOW. And if Proger comes back next season, thats even more to the good.

Haven't really watched Kubina lately. He *used* to be good, but now he's 34 and slow. He hits, so there's that.

Oh, and I would guess that means Luke Schenn is out.

At the end of the day, you can have all the Kubinas and Grossmen you want, but when our goaltenders can't even stop unobstructed, line of sight shots, it won't matter.

Thats exactly how it is!!! good post.

@doom88

"NMC/NTC do NOT necessarily travel with the player. See Jeff Carter and Mike Richards now."

Yes, but 14M over the next two seasons does. In the first three seasons of Breezys contract, he makes TWENTYFOUR EFFING MILLION. So, on any financially cash strapped team, it would be hard for them to want to take a contract like that without worrying about red ink at the end of the season.

now, after 2013-2014, the contract is allot more digestable as it is goes to 6 / 6 / 5.5 / 5.5 / 2.25 / 1.25.

I swear, where is Tanya Harding when you need her!

@doom88

What Brelic said:

"Hot Stove is a weekly segment on Hockey Night in Canada after the 2nd period of whatever national broadcast they're airing. It's a great segment with knowledgeable guys, and sometimes Milbury "

Its also a thing used to cook foods on. Not sure if you have those in the States yet. :-P

Seriously, it is a very good program where they will talk about the "button" topics of the week. Its in a "debate" type panel where 4 knowledgeable guys (usually-and only three when Milbury is there) will give countering view points.

@doom88

"NMC/NTC do NOT necessarily travel with the player. See Jeff Carter and Mike Richards now."

Yes, but 14M over the next two seasons does. In the first three seasons of Breezys contract, he makes TWENTYFOUR EFFING MILLION. So, on any financially cash strapped team, it would be hard for them to want to take a contract like that without worrying about red ink at the end of the season.

now, after 2013-2014, the contract is allot more digestable as it is goes to 6 / 6 / 5.5 / 5.5 / 2.25 / 1.25.

I swear, where is Tanya Harding when you need her!

Which is still less than Nash. A lot at three years out and further.

NMC/NTC do NOT necessarily travel with the player. See Jeff Carter and Mike Richards now.

i'm pretty sure they do. they are a negotiated part of the contract, the player doesn't lose that just because he waived it once, or because he was moved before the clause took effect.

cap geek doesn't have the flags set on either of their deals, but i believe that is a mistake on that site's part. because, again, the NMC/NTC are something the player and his agent negotiated into the deal, it was a condition of signing it... i don't think that can just go away.

I don't think it can "just go away" either but it's a bit more complicated - the Hot Stove guys mentioned it briefly and I didn't quite catch it (or understand it) - something about Tier 2 and Tier 3 .. but honestly they lost me when they started talking about that. They mentioned Nash being a Tier 3 so his NMC will travel with him but that Carter was a (maybe still is) a Tier 2 so his didn't kick in yet.

I probably got most of that wrong but the gist of it has to do with "Tier 2" and "Tier 3" - and however many other Tiers there are...

Richards' and Carter's NTC/NMCs hadn't kicked in at the time of their trades. Carter's still hasn't kicked in yet. Once they kick in, they remain in effect until the end of the contract or the end of the term, as far as I know.

What the hot stove guys were saying yesterday is that a player is not elligible for an NTC/NMC until they reach Tier 3 free agency elligibility (they don't have to actually become a FA, though). Since Carter hasn't reached Tier 3 elligibility, his NTC/NMC can't take effect.

@all....you know..bottom line is we have no clue what Homer is thinking. Personally, as most of us feel, Bryz needs to be gone and it seems JVR has become dispensible. I DO NOT, reapeat, DO NOT want to lose Schenn, Simmonds, or Coots. Even if it is Nash we are talking about.

Nash is a luxury we cannot afford. Goaltending and defense is what this team needs. Bryz's contract has come back to bite us in the ***. He is playing like crap and therefore made himself virtually unmovable.

Sadly, I see us losing one of those 3 to move Bryz and acquiring a young d-man. (would love it to be Schenn, but I just don't see it)

The loss of Pronger, and the piss poor play of Bryz (along with his assine contract) have put the Flyers in the position we are in now.

Can't blame Pronger...nobody forsaw his injury coming and sadly I truly believe is career is over.

I mentioned to others throughout the season, that I did not see this season as a cup run for the Flyers. Just too many ????? surrounding this team.

If we can move Bryz and JVR without giving up our youth ....I'm all for it. If not, lets see if we can acquire Schenn this year or either Weber / Shea during FA and pray that Bryz bounces back next year.

In other words another typical Flyers season: SNAFU!!!

S ituation

N ormal

A ll

F ucked

U p