Staal fined $2500 for hit on Coburn

Guest brelic

He better get a suspension too!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617649

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jordan Staal has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for boarding Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn during NHL Game No. 865 Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 9:56 of the second period. Staal received a minor penalty for boarding on the play.

The fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Has Shanahan given anybody besides Shelley a ten game suspension? This present system of disicipline isn't working very well,is it. What Staal did to Coburn was really risky to Coburn,but no big deal to the officials. Hopefully with some bigger players,that can be eliminated.

@brelic

Just one time I would like Shanny to begin his preamble and say something like "The refs totally blew the call on this. Staal should have got a 5+10 for that boarding. Here is his fine ...... "

Announce the fine "Stall receives a $2500 fine and Referee Stephan Auger is suspended for the next 10 games for blowing the call".

Should have been a 5 min major. And at least a 2 game suspension. Guess since his last name isn't Rinaldo, all is good.

Auger is THE WORST official in the game. The guy is so arrogant, he thinks he is above the game. Giving an extra two to Kimmo after that boarding call, c'mon...give me a break.

Should have been a 5 min major. And at least a 2 game suspension. Guess since his last name isn't Rinaldo, all is good.

That hit was 100 times worse than the Rinaldo hit and he gets his hand slapped. I'm all for "climbing the ladder" when it comes to suplemetary discipline, but you have to recognize when to bypass a rung. Shanny hasn't figured that out yet.

Kronwall was a top ten hit this week btw. Leaving his feet to hit a diminutive Briere. Stall demolishes Coburn with a dangerous boarding and gets two evened up when Timonen calls the ref out for being stupid. Some Pen elbows Giroux, nothing.

It's open season on the Flyers. And, they have to take it or get PIM, fined, or suspended. Very very aggravating.

Auger is THE WORST official in the game. The guy is so arrogant, he thinks he is above the game. Giving an extra two to Kimmo after that boarding call, c'mon...give me a break.

C'mon guys - we really need to question the suspension for Rinaldo? He was fined just a week earlier for two separate incidents in the Devils game. Did you guys see the slew on Parise? That alone should have gotten Rinaldo suspended. It was well after the play, sneaky and total bush. Then a week later he leaves his feet and targets a guy's head. If anything, Shanny was lenient the first time around.

Staal isn't a dirty play and seemed to be genuinely concerned right after the play. If Staal does it again, he should get 2. I've got no problem with the fine here.

I will say that these fines do need to be higher but the $2,500 max is the player association's doing.

<<Staal isn't a dirty play and seemed to be genuinely concerned right after the play. If Staal does it again, he should get 2. I've got no problem with the fine here.>>

So.... all you have to do is look generally concerned after threatening a guy's career and you can do whatever you want?

Give me a break. Rinaldo's hit in the Detroit game was borderline. So was Kronwall's. Staal's was not of all of that ONLY Rinaldo gets a suspension?

Why is it so far fetched to believe this NHL is biased based on the evidence we have seen? Instead of making up reasons to justify the way things keep shaking out for certain teams...

<<Staal isn't a dirty play and seemed to be genuinely concerned right after the play. If Staal does it again, he should get 2. I've got no problem with the fine here.>>

So.... all you have to do is look generally concerned after threatening a guy's career and you can do whatever you want?

Give me a break. Rinaldo's hit in the Detroit game was borderline. So was Kronwall's. Staal's was not of all of that ONLY Rinaldo gets a suspension?

Why is it so far fetched to believe this NHL is biased based on the evidence we have seen? Instead of making up reasons to justify the way things keep shaking out for certain teams...

No - but it's not like Staal leveled the guy and admired his work either. This is his first "offense" if you will. Rinaldo was fined two times for incidents in the same game just a week before. I/M/O his slew was worth at least 2 games yet he got away with a fine. The only purpose a slew serves is to injure. Watch the replay of his slew and tell me you think Shanny is biased when that does not get him at least two games.

Now you are left with two players with pretty bad hits with Staal on Coburn and Rinaldo on Ericsson. Shanny sent a message to Rinaldo just a week earlier and what does he do? Launch himself at a guy's head. Not "as bad" as Staal but considering what happened just a week before the 2 games was warranted.

No - but it's not like Staal leveled the guy and admired his work either. This is his first "offense" if you will. Rinaldo was fined two times for incidents in the same game just a week before. I/M/O his slew was worth at least 2 games yet he got away with a fine. The only purpose a slew serves is to injure. Watch the replay of his slew and tell me you think Shanny is biased when that does not get him at least two games.

Now you are left with two players with pretty bad hits with Staal on Coburn and Rinaldo on Ericsson. Shanny sent a message to Rinaldo just a week earlier and what does he do? Launch himself at a guy's head. Not "as bad" as Staal but considering what happened just a week before the 2 games was warranted.

Rinaldo got suspended 2 games for a 2 min minor penalty. Staal got a 2 min minor when he should have gotten a 5 and a game. Then he was fined when he should have gotten a suspension. I don't see how you can compare the 2 plays.

Try comparing the Staal cross check to the cross check that got Chris Stewart from the Blues suspended for 3 games. Stewart had no history of suplimental discipline prior to this suspension. Come back if you think your argument is still good.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&intcmpid=nhl-hp-vidchn-safety

Now you are left with two players with pretty bad hits with Staal on Coburn and Rinaldo on Ericsson

<<The only purpose a slew serves is to injure>>

Rinaldo didn't get suspended for a slew foot. He got suspended for his hit on Ericsson.

You are proving my point. First of all, one was a borderline hit and the other is a text book boarding call. Second of all you are pretty much saying what I said. Rinaldo got his suspension based on reputation and Staal got nothing.

So what the hell is the point of suspending anyone when you aren't going to discipline the action? They are making their case based on the logo on the front and the name on the back. Not what actually happened on the ice. How much **** have you seen Lucic get away with?

The Kronwall hit and the Rinaldo hit are practically the same. Rinaldo didn't target the head he hit the guy in the chest. Rinaldo gets a suspension and Kronwall nothing. Then Staal blatantly crosschecks Coburn (you say there was no intent to injure then I ask you what did Staal hope to accomplish on that hit in that area with a crosscheck from behind?) so its justified that he doesn't get a suspension? Doesn't make any sense man. Thats what baffles me about this league. Punish the act based on what transpired, not based on the reputation of the team or the player or the rest of the Staal boys.

Its a disgrace how much of a double standard there is.

You are entitled to your opinion Kjell, but I'm not budging. I know what I see and there are players and teams in the NHL who can get away with pushing the envelope and there are players and teams that can't.

Staal should have absolutely been suspended and I was not surprised in the least that he wasn't. His last name is Staal and he plays for the beloved Penguins. I'm surprised the freaking play wasn't on TSN as the check of the week.

Rinaldo got suspended 2 games for a 2 min minor penalty. Staal got a 2 min minor when he should have gotten a 5 and a game. Then he was fined when he should have gotten a suspension. I don't see how you can compare the 2 plays.

Try comparing the Staal cross check to the cross check that got Chris Stewart from the Blues suspended for 3 games. Stewart had no history of suplimental discipline prior to this suspension. Come back if you think your argument is still good.

http://video.nhl.com...p-vidchn-safety

I agree that Staal should have gotten a major instead of 2 but I really don't have a problem with a fine there. Now, if it happens again it's another story. I also agree that Stewart should not have been suspended. Just because they get one wrong doesn't mean they have to get them all wrong.

If Rinaldo hadn't been fined - not once but TWICE - just two weeks earlier, there is no guarantee i/m/o that he gets 2 games for that hit. My point is that he SHOULD have been suspended for the slew foot but wasn't so I can't buy a bias argument using these examples. I just can't.

"Rinaldo didn't get suspended for a slew foot. He got suspended for his hit on Ericsson."

That's my point. He should have been suspended and wasn't. I'm not arguing that the discipline is inconsistent. God knows it is. I can't buy the bias argument though because Rinaldo got suspended for the Ericsson hit when he got a slap on the wrist for what was by far the worst incident out of all the ones we are talking about here.

"So what the hell is the point of suspending anyone when you aren't going to discipline the action? They are making their case based on the logo on the front and the name on the back. Not what actually happened on the ice. How much **** have you seen Lucic get away with?"

Then explain no suspension for the slew foot if the logo on the front of the jersey matters so much.

"The Kronwall hit and the Rinaldo hit are practically the same. Rinaldo didn't target the head he hit the guy in the chest. Rinaldo gets a suspension and Kronwall nothing. Then Staal blatantly crosschecks Coburn (you say there was no intent to injure then I ask you what did Staal hope to accomplish on that hit in that area with a crosscheck from behind?) so its justified that he doesn't get a suspension? Doesn't make any sense man. Thats what baffles me about this league. Punish the act based on what transpired, not based on the reputation of the team or the player or the rest of the Staal boys."

First, Rinaldo did target the head. Agree to disagree but if you watch the explanation video he definitely goes for the head i/m/o.

As for the reputation - don't you HAVE to take that into account a little bit? Would a guy like Staal - who has a pretty clean reputation - just decide that he wants to injure Coburn for no reason? Then you have a guy like Rinaldo who DID try to injure with a slew a week earlier and now goes after a guy's head? Staal made a mistake and got fined and will be suspended if it happens again. You can't convince me that's what Rinaldo was doing when he slewed Parise and hit Ericsson.