Thats it. Bob is now the # 1

Guest Flyingswede

Sorry I know there is alot of Bryz threads but this have to end now. I've had it. He have at best being mediocre all along the season and the 1st and 2nd goal against us tonight was brutal. I cant see that Bob can be worse. I dont give a rat *** how much sallary Bryz have at the moment, he must sit. You cant win any games letting soft goals like that in. And look how he is reacting... Its like he is drunk or sleepwalking.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I know there is alot of Bryz threads but this have to end now. I've had it. He have at best being mediocre all along the season and the 1st and 2nd goal against us tonight was brutal. I cant see that Bob can be worse. I dont give a rat *** how much sallary Bryz have at the moment, he must sit. You cant win any games letting soft goals like that in. And look how he is reacting... Its like he is drunk or sleepwalking.

JVR says he needs our support to be confident... So buck up there swede...

I have to admit, that interview was concerning. I am frustrated too Flyingswede, but I take a little different view. I would play Bryz until he gets better or implodes, whatever comes first. I would keep him in no matter how many goals. I think with the addition of Grossman and Kubina, the Flyers are hoping it gives Bryz more confidence and he plays better. Like most things, this comes down to money and they have contract in place for $51m so they have to live with it. But I know, it is not easy. Or, we could all be surprised and Bryz could be part of a blockbuster trade... Maybe Columbus?..

SO, will a different goalie really change that?

Of course it will. Look no further back than this afternoon

Bryz stares as Cooke flicks one by him, an easy save for 99% of NHL goalies. 1-0

we score 2 and we're up 2-1

Bad pass, intercepted - Staal goes in with ? 2 on 2 - again, wide open easy save - nope. So it's tied 2-2. Shorthanded goal #1

Kimmo has the puck hop over his stick, end of his PK shift 5 on 3 ... Bryz stares stupidly as Cooke waltzes in and flips it past him. He doesn't fkng move. He stares as the puck goes by. 3-2.

then the Bob implosion begins...

So yeah, better goaltending is KEY to Lavy's system, because there will be high-risk / high-reward play all game long. If you can't count on your goalie - if every single goddamn breakdown or odd-man is going into our net....Well we might as well forfeit the rest of the games.

@brelic

"Not for nothing, but St Louis has 12 shutouts under Hitch. TWELVE!

I'm not saying I want Hitch, but it's a trademark of his system. And I think we're seeing the trademark of Lavi's.

SO, will a different goalie really change that?"

And New Jersey has TEN shootout wins.

Not for nothing, but St Louis has 12 shutouts under Hitch. TWELVE!

I'm not saying I want Hitch, but it's a trademark of his system. And I think we're seeing the trademark of Lavi's.

SO, will a different goalie really change that?

How dare you actually acknowledge the real problem. Don't you know we can just keep plugging in new parts and this whole thing will be easily fixed ?

Seriously though..you are right. Until Lavi figures out a different way to win games not much will change and he'll still be chewing the crap out of his gum on the bench and calling his trademark timeout after we're down 5-2 .

...cue the "But Lavi won a Stanley Cup with this system" comment.

Of course it will. Look no further back than this afternoon

Bryz stares as Cooke flicks one by him, an easy save for 99% of NHL goalies. 1-0

we score 2 and we're up 2-1

Bad pass, intercepted - Staal goes in with ? 2 on 2 - again, wide open easy save - nope. So it's tied 2-2. Shorthanded goal #1

Kimmo has the puck hop over his stick, end of his PK shift 5 on 3 ... Bryz stares stupidly as Cooke waltzes in and flips it past him. He doesn't fkng move. He stares as the puck goes by. 3-2.

then the Bob implosion begins...

So yeah, better goaltending is KEY to Lavy's system, because there will be high-risk / high-reward play all game long. If you can't count on your goalie - if every single goddamn breakdown or odd-man is going into our net....Well we might as well forfeit the rest of the games.

I think an elite-level goaltender - which are simply not available, btw - might change things. But a different goalie will face the same defensive lapses that ours face.

Yes, the goals on Bryz yesterday were atrocious. But the first shortie was because of a stupid pass and turnover by Giroux. He is the prime culprit on that one; there was no need for the stupid errant pass he made on the PP.

Another one was a very bad pinch by Meszaros (I think), and the Pens player was off to the races. Whether or not the 'effort' on the breakaway is different, the goaltender is at a disadvantage in those situations.

And then later, THREE Flyers players were BEHIND the FLYERS net, with no puck and no Pens. the Pens players were, correctly, in front of our net and scored.

There is no team commitment to defense, and as much as Bryzaster is a pile of suckage and Bob is not much better, this team is almost set up for goaltending failures.

How many goals did we allow last week on tip-ins and redirects where there was NO coverage on the short side of the goal? The opposing player was sitting there, wide open. Child's play!

As for St Louis having two top tenders, is that really the case? Or are they playing like it because of the way the whole team makes their job easier? Not doubting Halak's talent, but he is showing the best numbers of his career this year, under Hitch. He was solid in Montreal too.

And are you really going to tell me that Elliott is some sort of super tender??? He's a 9th round draft pick whose career numbers before this season were in the .890s and hovering around 3.00 GAA!

His numbers this year? .941, 1.55.

Put him in Philly and I will bet my house that his numbers look more like Bryz and Bob.

How dare you actually acknowledge the real problem. Don't you know we can just keep plugging in new parts and this whole thing will be easily fixed ?

Seriously though..you are right. Until Lavi figures out a different way to win games not much will change and he'll still be chewing the crap out of his gum on the bench and calling his trademark timeout after we're down 5-2 .

...cue the "But Lavi won a Stanley Cup with this system" comment.

You make a good point, Laviolette's system could be tweeked. So would you play a more defensive scheme? Thoughts?

We need to cut back on the whole 'defenseman pinching in' thing. After the Grossman/Kubina trades I'm even more concerned because it looks like they're trying to pair an offensive D-man (Timonen,Mezaros,Carle) with 'stay at home' guys which to me means that Lavi is sticking to his system that's not working and just trying to tweak the pieces.

It's like playing chess with cheap plastic chess pieces vs. using high quality hand cut marble ones: If you suck at chess and have no strategy it doesn't matter what type of pieces yo use.

Bryz let in a SHG with Timonen draped all over the shooter. Bryz let in a lame wrister from Cooke by the circles. Bryz let in a goal one on one with a shooter only able to use a third of the ice.

You can have the entire team in the defensive zone, but if the goalie can't make fundamental saves, it won't matter. Those back door goals from a few games ago were absolutely on the D and need to be corrected. The point still boils down to Bryz just totally failed day one of goaltending school.

Bryz stares as Cooke flicks one by him, an easy save for 99% of NHL goalies.

That goal absolutely infuriated me... not like one needs a reason to be furious with that jerk in net. But how can you not make that save??? How can you not? What was so unpredictable or difficult that he could not make that save? There were no screens, no deflections, no bounces. He has a clear lane. But instead, like you said, he is watching the puck just going by him. It's absolutely disgusting, ludicrous, nauseating and repulsive. An AHL, an IHL goalie, an absolute novice ..… hell… a street hockey goalie makes that save in 9 out of 10 times.

I just can’t fathom it. I really think he simply lost ANY interest playing for this team at this point.

JVR says he needs our support to be confident... So buck up there swede...

If he sists in days negotation his sally up before inkin with us I think he must have the confident. The confident is something we have paid for. He knows negotion his sallary up that he went to a team who wants the cup and he said "I can help you get that puck so give me alot of money" Now Homer just look stupid. Support him? when did we not support him? He had all the money and support he needed in the beginning of the season.

It's true Dog - a street hockey (!) goalie makes that save - you said it so right. Me - I make that save, swear to god. Put me in cold, same situation, Cooke's 1st goal..he's winding up - guarantee I get square to him and make that save. Cooke coming in on the breakaway - I poke check that shot away before he gets it off. What a d i c k Bryzgalov is - I mean seriously. Awhile back FC said something like "You almost have to be trying to suck to be this bad" and I'm starting to believe 1) maybe FC wasn't kidding and 2) even if he was he was right.

Brel - You make some good points about the Defensive lapses - esp by our forwards crowding down low behind the net - all 3 of them. BUT - but but but ... see the above paragraph, see Mad Dog's post, see a million other posts this season about disgustingly soft goals given up by Brzygalov.

Tell me those don't change the entire game - at the very least swing the momentum. Of course you can't tell me that because you know games turn on goals - and big hits, and penalties, etc. But most of all goals. When you give up the 1st one and it's Ridiculously, Stupidly, Pathetically SOFT - for the 4hundredth time in a goddamn row - and then do it again - and again - for THREE inexcusable softies...

But okay, say yesterday is an aberration - or say it's the extreme - the worst Bryz has ever played. I'll grant you that. And maybe the TEAM D was the worst it's ever been - early in the 3rd it was. So let's throw out that game yesterday and look at the other games Bryzgalov has wilted under easy shots - and let's say they were all caused by defensive lapses.

What I would say is this - Breakdowns happen. Pucks hop over sticks. Players make bad decisions. Etc. What in God's Name is a goalie for except to prevent those inevitable breakdowns from counting against us? Why bother having a goalie if ... you know what I mean?

Of course our TEAM D should be better but both you or I would've stopped Cooke's goals - both of them. And many times - most times - a good stop makes all the difference.

Edited by canoli

@canoli

What does Meltzer call them momentum saves? ...the last tender that gave us that was Boucher, but he'd kill you with the inexplicable soft one too, but he knew when the moment was big and gave his team a chance more than not.

I have not seen either of our keepers give us that this year , okay well once a piece but we're pretty far into the season for that number to be so low.

Ha - Meltzer calls them momentum-saves - that's it alright - and soft goals are momentum-killers.

I thought it was a strange time for Brelic to ask "Can any goalie make a difference?" after that goaltending disaster. I mean it, literally, ANYONE on this board would've made those stops Bryzgalov let in yesterday. And if he make the saves ... well it's a whole different game isn't it?

Both those reminded me of Powe's goal a few weeks back, when everyone said Bryzgalov played "pretty well except for that 1 goal."

yeah, right.