Thats it. Bob is now the # 1

Guest Flyingswede

Well that's an interesting spin on it MD and I sure hope you're right. Only thing is you can spin it the other way too, where a player who's spooked by the lights of the big city never grows out of it. Unfortunately I think the 2nd spin is more likely. The city won't change, the pressures will only mount as the POs get nearer and every bad goal will be magnified that much more.

The only thing I can say to that is hopefully... hopefully... he just somehow gets acclimated and once it sinks into his head that this is it, and, as you said, the city won't change, the only thing that's left for him to do is to just stop the puck. There were other athletes in other sports who had hard time adjusting when they came from smaller markets to Philly, but once they got their heads on straight, they started playing at least marginally better.

I would like him gone - as I guess most of us would. There's never been a goalie in Philly who I thought would never play well - even Biron turned in good games now and then. Bryzgalov has too...sort of...I can think of 1 or 2. But with him even his "good" games feature at least 1 bad, groaning OMG goal.

That I agree. As bad as Jeff Hackett, Beezer, Sean Burke, Robert Esche, Roman Chechmanek, Biron, Boucher were, at least they had long waves of solid, decent, and sometimes even spectacular, performances...... so much so that each year there would be a talk about the goalie situation finally been resolved. They all had good spells and there were not much controversy *until* the playoffs would begin, at which point, of course, it would be back to "normal" with this team. But I cannot honestly recall a Flyers goalie being *that* bad for *that* long. Leighton is an exception, but because of his relatively low profile and lack of previous accomplishments, let's be honest: are we really that surprised?

And that's why it sucks. At least with all those guys, you knew what to expect. You set your expectations low because you had every right to expect mediocrity at best and monumental failure at worst. Nobody had a right to expect much from Martin Biron. Or Brian Boucher. They are what they are. And Niitty and Bob were both dark horses. In some respect, actually, each of them actually exceeded the expectations.

This is different. As overhyped and overrated Bryzgalov was coming in, he is not Biron or Boucher. Let's get that out of the way right now. Why is this guy being so ridiculously horrid? I can't see any other explanation other than he is putting way too much pressure on himself. I think this is why he chooses to act as a comic with the press - that gives him some sort of a pressure relief.

It's so easy to hate the guy, but for the Flyers' own sake, they have to find the way to help him get his game back. He is capable of playing much better than he plays now.

Edited by Mad Dog

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I think Boucher and even Esche are "better" goaltenders - they made horrible mistakes plenty of times but their overall posture in net was solid, it was confident (even if they had no right to be!). Bryzgalov is a big guy who's looked SMALL all season, even in his supposedly-good games.

Was he better in Phoenix? Obviously. I'm just not sure what that has to do with anything anymore. You know what I mean? entirely different team, diff city, diff atmosphere.

You're surely right, there've been athletes who came to Philly and took a long time to get their heads right - and then they played well. Maybe Bryzgalov will be one of them. I guess I have to hope so. But I'd rather he was gone asap because I don't think he's a very good goalie at all. Phoenix, Vezina-candidate - was it a mirage? I don't know, but that situation is far from Philadelphia.

I don't necessarily doubt this but...can you give an example that would match this in scale in which Snider manned up and the organization moved on from it? I think we are in uncharted waters here.

Somewhat, yeah, it is an uncharted territory. But he was behind (direclty or not) some bold moves: moving Iverson, giving a green light to trade Lindros and, I am sure, if not directly ordered, he was very much involved in getting Pronger. And I know for a fact that not only he was 100% behind trading Richards and Carter, he actually orchestrated and initiated the campaign in shipping them out of town: Richards in particular since Snider just could not stand the guy. That was his doing and nobody else's.

I think if Homer comes to Snider with a plan, Snider will have no problem getting rid of Bryzgalov.

It's so easy to hate the guy, but for the Flyers' own sake, they have to find the way to help him get his game back. He is capable of playing much better than he plays now.

Completely agree. I don't think the Flyers should be counting on some bizarre trade scenario or fortunate buyout clause in the new CBA to save their bacon on this. For better or worse, the best thing for all concerned is to somehow get this guy to play like he is capable of playing. That may not be (almost certainly is not) Lundqvuist level, but I'm sure it's a lot better than what we've seen so far.

I think if Homer comes to Snider with a plan, Snider will have no problem getting rid of Bryzgalov.

It is true that Snider can be ruthlessly decisive, as in the case of Richards and Carter. What I think distinguishes this case is Bryzgalov's contract, play and weird demeanor make him un tradable. So to get rid of him, you have to buy him out. I can't imagining the team doing that unless there is a cap holiday as part of the new CBA. I'm not even sure the team would do it then because the price tag is enormous and would hit the books one year into Bryzgalov's signing. It would cost 2/3 of $41MM or $27MM!! I could easily imagine Comcast choking on this and telling the team to make the best of it.

Somewhat, yeah, it is an uncharted territory. But he was behind (direclty or not) some bold moves: moving Iverson, giving a green light to trade Lindros and, I am sure, if not directly ordered, he was very much involved in getting Pronger. And I know for a fact that not only he was 100% behind trading Richards and Carter, he actually orchestrated and initiated the campaign in shipping them out of town: Richards in particular since Snider just could not stand the guy. That was his doing and nobody else's.

Do tell. I would love to read proof. Serious, not smarm.

and how amazingly ironic is that? the year the flyers "get serious" about their goaltending.....

Philadelphia Flyers 2012 - 2013

We Mean It This Time

I wonder If they could send Bryz boating with the same guys that went out with Tertyshny..............

Just thought I would inject a little ruxpin into this thread.....

and how amazingly ironic is that? the year the flyers "get serious" about their goaltending.....

"ironic" is being extremely equitable to the gods who govern pro hockey. Basically it's like a big fat FU to the team. Unreal. I am not a superstitious person but I think maybe it's time once and for all to "deal" with that statue. Mr Penn Tear Down This - oh forget it I can't do Reagan.

Do tell. I would love to read proof. Serious, not smarm.

Proof of what, though? That he was behind shipping Richards and Carter? Other than hearing it from multiple reporters and otehr sports people on the radio (some of whom have supposed sources inside the team), I don't know how much "real" proof there is in the case like this. I also remember an interview with Peter Lukko (I think in September) and he siad something along teh lines of Mr. Snider was VERY supportive of both trades, which, to me translates to "Mr. Snider was pushing for the trade".

From what I read and heard, Snider hated Richards' guts, and he desliked EVERYTHING about him: from his drinking to being defiant and the fact that he refused to be involved in the community, which to Snuider is almost a personal insult (can't say I disagree with Snider on this one).

So putting two and two together, do we really NEED more proof?

Crazy, isn't it? During all these years when Clarke was openly and continuoulsy dismissing the importance/value of the goaltending position, he *still* managed (almost contrary to his own desire) to put at least more or less competent people in net. This year, they went out of their way to address the issue, and got themselves the worst goalie probably in the entire Flyers history. I mean was there worse, especially if putting it in the context of Bryzgalov's contract?

Unreal........... Only in Philadelphia.