Matthews gets goal # 56, new Leafs Record

Auston Matthews breaks Toronto Maple Leafs' record; sets mark for most goals in season by U.S.-born player

10:38 PM ET
  • shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen Shilton ESPN NHL reporter
  •  

Toronto Maple Leafs superstar Auston Matthews made history twice over in Thursday night's 4-3 overtime victory at the Dallas Stars.

The 24-year-old center scored his 55th goal of the season late in the second period, passing Rick Vaive to claim Toronto's single-season goal-scoring record. His 56th gave the Maple Leafs the victory in overtime and set the record for most goals by a U.S.-born player in a season.

"This was Auston's night,'' Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said. "It's much deserved and to finish it with an exclamation point."

Matthews accomplished both feats in only 66 games, and he has netted 49 goals in his past 50 games alone.

Jimmy Carson (1987-88) and Kevin Stevens (1992-93) previously held the record for most goals by a U.S.-born player with 55.

Vaive's 54-goal mark, meanwhile, had stood for over 40 years, from the 1981-82 campaign (which was the highest-scoring season in modern NHL history). The 62-year-old former winger knew it was only a matter of time before Matthews came for his mantle.

"I'm happy for him, I really am," Vaive told ESPN. "I expected him to do it two years ago. He's a generational-type player. It's been 40 years that I had that record. I'm just glad that I'm around to see it."

Toronto's first overall pick in 2016, Matthews had 47 goals before the 2019-20 season was shut down due to COVID-19, and he scored 41 goals in the pandemic-shortened 56-game schedule last year.

Matthews scored his first goal on Thursday with a one-timer from the bottom of the circle to the left of goalie Scott Wedgewood after taking a pass back from Mark Giordano on a power play for a 2-1 lead with 1:02 left in the second period. The winner came when Matthews took a pass from William Nylander and was able to swipe the puck around Wedgewood in overtime.

Matthews emphatically pumped his right arm after the goal in the second period that broke the franchise record.

"I just saw the puck go in, and I was just so excited, honestly,'' he said. ''There really was not that much else to it. [Giordano] made a really nice pass, and he put it right in my wheelhouse, so I just tried to attack the puck, and I was able to sneak it in. So it was a lot of stuff going through my mind.''

Vaive was the first player in Leafs franchise history to score 50 goals, doing so three times in the 1980s. Gary Leeman (1989-90) and Dave Andreychuk (1993-94) were the only others to match Vaive with at least 50 goals, until Matthews crossed the threshold on March 31 against the Winnipeg Jets.

Matthews needed just 62 games to score his 50th goal, making it the fastest 50-goal season since 1995-96.

Now he has set a new benchmark in Toronto, one he could continue building on this year and maybe surpass in seasons to come.

"His skills are outrageous," Vaive said. "It's just crazy, how good he is with the puck and how good his shot is. I'm happy that a guy like him has done this, because it would have been different if it was someone who just happened to have a fluke year and did it [once], whereas he's a guy that you can count on probably to get there or close every single year."

Matthews continues to lead the NHL in goals and is on track to win the second consecutive Rocket Richard Trophy of his career. With 50 goals, the Edmonton Oilers' Leon Draisaitl has been Matthews' closest competition for the prize that goes to the league's leading goal scorer.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:44 AM, OccamsRazor said:

[a certain someone] is not here to share in the glory.

I will be rooting for the Leafs to win at least two rounds.  It’s time for at least that much to happen.   Ditto for the Wild out West.

3 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I will be rooting for the Leafs to win at least two rounds.  It’s time for at least that much to happen.   Ditto for the Wild out West.

It seems like there team in better constructed than in years past except maybe in goal still questions there in my mind.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:28 PM, OccamsRazor said:

It seems like there team in better constructed than in years past except maybe in goal still questions there in my mind.

It's funny how you can improve your team each season when you rebuild it with young players, instead of bidding for UFAs on the wrong side of 30 who just keep getting worse.

Maybe we could try that?

35 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's funny how you can improve your team each season when you rebuild it with young players, instead of bidding for UFAs on the wrong side of 30 who just keep getting worse.

Well not so fast.

Campbell their starting goalie is 30. Mrazek who is hurt is 30.

TJ Brodie is 31. Gio is 38. Lyubushkin 28.  Muzzin 33.

They only draft 2 guys Reilly 28 and Liljegren 22.

And of their 14 forwards they drafted only 4 Matthews, Marner, Engvall and Nylander.

So i would say not the best example to use.

However what they did do it piece this team together without signing a Hayes or JVR to a 7 year deal.

With maybe the one exception of Tavares who is himself 31 and they signed him when he was 28.

So yeah they are not crippled by a lot of long contracts to guys who are not producing. Which is the key element.

And that goes back to scouting and talent evaluators.

Then again also knowing who is making these decision to make these moves.

Is it Homer forcing his puppet to make these types of moves because it worked one time for him with Briere, Hartnell and Timonen i would have to say yes if you are holding a gun to my head. 

That is why i think Chuckles will stay around for as long as he keeps doing what he is told.

Until they NEED a scape goat which then Chuckles will fall on his sword and then be promoted to the front office and the new puppet Danny Briere will take up Chuck's office....the plot gets thicker in the offseason.

:PopcornSmiley2:

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well not so fast.

Campbell their starting goalie is 30. Mrazek who is hurt is 30.

TJ Brodie is 31. Gio is 38. Lyubushkin 28.  Muzzin 33.

They only draft 2 guys Reilly 28 and Liljegren 22.

And of their 14 forwards they drafted only 4 Matthews, Marner, Engvall and Nylander.

So i would say not the best example to use.

However what they did do it piece this team together without signing a Hayes or JVR to a 7 year deal.

With maybe the one exception of Tavares who is himself 31 and they signed him when he was 28.

So yeah they are not crippled by a lot of long contracts to guys who are not producing. Which is the key element.

And that goes back to scouting and talent evaluators.

Then again also knowing who is making these decision to make these moves.

Is it Homer forcing his puppet to make these types of moves because it worked one time for him with Briere, Hartnell and Timonen i would have to say yes if you are holding a gun to my head. 

That is why i think Chuckles will stay around for as long as he keeps doing what he is told.

Until they NEED a scape goat which then Chuckles will fall on his sword and then be promoted to the front office and the new puppet Danny Briere will take up Chuck's office....the plot gets thicker in the offseason.

:PopcornSmiley2:

You're kidding, right? The best players on that team were all drafted except Tavares. Matthews, Marner, Reilly, Nylander. The other players are all interchangeable...meaning you can add/subtract each year to try and improve, whilst keeping your young experience gaining up and coming core. 

Those 4 Leaf draft picks have about twice as many points this season as the 18 players Fletcher brought onto the Flyers scored combined.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The best players on that team were all drafted except Tavares. Matthews, Marner, Reilly, Nylander.

I said they were drafted. Seems you skimmed over that part?

And you are comparing 1st overall, 4th overall, 8th overall and a 5th overall. So yeah mean damn they should have some damn good pieces to build around.

And slow your roll i am not defending anything Chuck did in fact i sort of implied the opposite that they didn't sign a Hayes or JVR.

So i will give you a chance to go re read my post and try again.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I said they were drafted. Seems you skimmed over that part?

And you are comparing 1st overall, 4th overall, 8th overall and a 5th overall. So yeah mean damn they should have some damn good pieces to build around.

And slow your roll i am not defending anything Chuck did in fact i sort of implied the opposite that they didn't sign a Hayes or JVR.

So i will give you a chance to go re read my post and try again.

Cheers.

No I didn't skim over it. You rhymed off a bunch of guys who, like I said, were the type you fill in for a season or three (other than Tavares). Or if you're Fletcher you build the team around them. Which doesn't work....clearly.

As for the high picks, my original post (4 or 5 back) was about those type of picks you get with a rebuild, which isn't the way the Flyers have ever done it. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

No I didn't skim over it. You rhymed off a bunch of guys who, like I said, were the type you fill in for a season or three (other than Tavares). Or if you're Fletcher you build the team around them. Which doesn't work....clearly.

As for the high picks, my original post (4 or 5 back) was about those type of picks you get with a rebuild, which isn't the way the Flyers have ever done it. 

And i agreed they didn't sign any type of Hayes or JVR type guys to any 7 year deals.

All there patch work was on short term deals. It's going to be ok. Be water my friend.

Or in this case be bourbon it will work the same...

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

And i agreed they didn't sign any type of Hayes or JVR type guys to any 7 year deals.

All there patch work was on short term deals. It's going to be ok. Be water my friend.

Or in this case be bourbon it will work the same...

Trust me...I've tried bourbon. It didn't take. 

I need this thing for watching this aberration of a Flyer franchise...

image.jpeg.80601893ac9eee9004712bb6a5e37a2f.jpeg

Maybe followed by a Will Smith face slap in case any memory of the game remains. 

• Haha 1