Beniers, Kranken ink ELC

Brewin Flames

Beniers agrees to contract with Kraken, was No. 2 pick in 2021 NHL Draft

Center was first selection in Seattle history, led Michigan with 43 points

NHL.com @NHLdotcom

•  
cut.jpg

Matty Beniers agreed to a three-year, entry-level contract with the Seattle Kraken on Sunday.

The 19-year-old sophomore center from the University of Michigan was selected with the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NHL Draft, the first selection in Kraken history.

He was first on Michigan with 43 points (20 goals, 23 assists) and 10 power-play goals in 37 games this season.

Michigan's season ended with a 3-2 overtime loss to Denver on Thursday in the NCAA Frozen Four semifinal round in Boston.

"It's truly an honor to join the Kraken organization, officially, and I can't wait to get started," Beniers said. "Although we fell short of our goal, I loved my time with Michigan and am looking forward to the next step in my journey. Being drafted last summer was surreal. I'm excited to get to Seattle."

In two seasons with Michigan, Beniers scored 67 points (30 goals, 37 assists) in 61 games. He is the third scoring champion for Michigan in Big Ten history, joining Winnipeg Jets forward Kyle Connor (2016) and Edmonton Oilers forward Cooper Marody (2018).

"We're excited to officially welcome Matty to our organization," Kraken general manager Ron Francis said. "He capped off a productive career at Michigan with a trip to the Frozen Four and has impressed our staff over the past couple of years with his leadership and strong two-way game. We're looking forward to working with him as he takes the next step in his development."

Beniers scored three points (one goal, two assists) in seven games to help the United States win the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship and played one game in the 2022 WJC before the tournament was postponed due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

He scored two points (one goal, one assist) in four games at the 2022 Beijing Olympics.