*** 2022 NHL entry draft, July 7th and 8th - Bell Centre, Montreal ***

OccamsRazor

7 minutes ago, Rat Trick said:

It is just extremely bizarre to me that a team unless they totally break up the core group from one year to the next can go from being in the Stanley Cup Finals to being the worst team. 

Kind of what they did and Price missed the whole year it seem they threw the towel in when that went down and why not when their reward is Shane Harper now. NHL plan worked to a T.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who gives a #$^$%$(@....i hate Montreal and their fans.

He they sold the farm to get to where they are bravo. Tanked like a seasoned pro.

Also welcome to the board good to have some Panther fans here your next task will be the toughest you'll face all season. I am pulling for you guys and Giroux.

Giroux was a great late addition to the club and I think he is going to help the club throughout the remainder of the playoffs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who gives a #$^$%$(@....i hate Montreal and their fans.

He they sold the farm to get to where they are bravo. Tanked like a seasoned pro.

Also welcome to the board good to have some Panther fans here your next task will be the toughest you'll face all season. I am pulling for you guys and Giroux.

Actually, they didn't really sell the farm. They lost their #1 goalie and defenceman to health issues and their 1C to free agency. They were never really a cup contender to start with. More a mediocre bunch who caught lightning in a bottle, then lost the entire backbone of their team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They lost their #1 goalie and defenceman to health issues and their 1C to free agency.

They didn't bring Staal and Perry back either. Sold off defenseman and a few more moves too.

At this point i can't remember all the moves they made.

On top of being saddled with some bad players (Andersen and Hoffman to name a few ) who under achieved didn't help either.

And the net was a sieve too which isn't helping...and too much Pitlick at forward.

:cheers:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#Bourbon up

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They didn't bring Staal and Perry back either. Sold off defenseman and a few more moves too.

At this point i can't remember all the moves they made.

On top of being saddled with some bad players (Andersen and Hoffman to name a few ) who under achieved didn't help either.

And the net was a sieve too which isn't helping...and too much Pitlick at forward.

:cheers:

Funny how some teams management can see the writing on the wall, and some one teams management just lives in a fantasy world. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Funny how some teams management can see the writing on the wall, and some one teams management just lives in a fantasy world. 

Some times when you tell a lie so much i think you start to believe it and well here we are...i cringe on the thought of what may happen and well i shouldn't feel that way i should be excited...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Some times when you tell a lie so much i think you start to believe it and well here we are...i cringe on the thought of what may happen and well i shouldn't feel that way i should be excited...

I agree. Normally I'd be a bit bummed the season ended this way, but looking forward to what we could get with a 5th overall (and I am). But I'm also concerned about how much bigger of a hole Chuck is planning on digging with this free agent market.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But I'm also concerned about how much bigger of a hole Chuck is planning on digging with this free agent market.

I wish he would just move JVR and Risto for what a 1st and 3rd??

I would take it and run. Yotes please pick up....i think Risto gets no more than this upcoming year and they move on from him if for no more than a salary dump.

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, Rat Trick said:

It is just extremely bizarre to me that a team unless they totally break up the core group from one year to the next can go from being in the Stanley Cup Finals to being the worst team. 

I figured he would not be ready at just 18 years old, but if the team is so bad as it seems the consensus is saying will the Canadiens push him to make the roster?

They mananged to sneak into the postseason thank to the division realignment that made the north division by far the weakest in the League, not to mention that there were only seven teams and being in the top-4 secured a play-off spot. Then they faced Toronto who ****ed up big time, and the Jets with their atrocious D. The SC final was one of the worst in history. I only give the Habs credit for their series vs. Vegas but all the rest was a pure fluke. Unfortunately for them, they were about the only one who actually believed they had a squad to be in the playoffs again. I ranked them 7th out of eight in their divison and everybody I know jumped on me, claiming that I was not objective (not true), that I didn't see Montréal's full potential (not true) and that was a Habs hater (ok, true) who's giving a false prediction (also true: they finished dead last).

Now they are convinced they will have a Connor McDavid #2. Seems to be that it would be more of a Nugent-Hopkins 2.0. A good player but definitely not a franchise-changing guy.

2 minutes ago, Math said:

They mananged to sneak into the postseason thank to the division realignment that made the north division by far the weakest in the League, not to mention that there were only seven teams and being in the top-4 secured a play-off spot. Then they faced Toronto who ****ed up big time, and the Jets with their atrocious D. The SC final was one of the worst in history. I only give the Habs credit for their series vs. Vegas but all the rest was a pure fluke. Unfortunately for them, they were about the only one who actually believed they had a squad to be in the playoffs again. I ranked them 7th out of eight in their divison and everybody I know jumped on me, claiming that I was not objective (not true), that I didn't see Montréal's full potential (not true) and that was a Habs hater (ok, true) who's giving a false prediction (also true: they finished dead last).

Now they are convinced they will have a Connor McDavid #2. Seems to be that it would be more of a Nugent-Hopkins 2.0. A good player but definitely not a franchise-changing guy.

Shane Wright is definitely not Connor McDavid. Hell,  I am not even sure if he is Nick Suzuki. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It is less than a month away from the draft and there are still several teams out there who have yet to hire a head coach. I would suspect these teams with the next week or so would finalize who they are going to hire as head coach so they at least have that piece in place before the draft. 

It is also possible that some of these organizations would want that new head coach in on the selection process. 

**Thread BUMP...as the draft is now only 6 days away.

Thanks to @OccamsRazor who had started this thread back in April.
I did alter the title, put in the actual draft dates, and also pinned this thread to make it more visible.

Added in one post after the OP, under Occam's name, the order of the teams for the first 5 rounds, so go look back to the first page for that addition.

For rounds 6 and 7, visit NHL.com here:
https://www.nhl.com/news/2022-upper-deck-nhl-draft-complete-selection-order/c-334774432

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I'll continue the discussion with hopefully others joining in.....will start with my own teams:

The Lightning, barring any trades, still have their 1st rounder this year, though as always, it is very late in the round, basically a 2nd rounder, and they won't pick again until the 4th round.
Thankfully, the Bolts have very excellent scouting and with the info they provide, Julien Brisebois is usually able to make good picks even with fewer and later picks.

The Minnesota Wild just picked up the 19th overall to add to their 24th in the Kevin Fiala for Brock Faber trade, so obviously that gives them a pair of picks for Round 1.
They also have a pair of picks in Round 2...one was a compensatory pick for not being able to sign Filip Johansson (which many Wild fans are actually happy about, it seems), and the other pick is the one they got from Vancouver.

So 4 picks in the first two rounds for Minnesota, not bad. Of course, what Bill Guerin DOES with the picks is what will ultimately matter, but from my point of view, let's just say I am glad Guerin is doing the picking instead of Fletcher of Fenton! ;) 

Will Guerin dare trade both first rounders for a single, better pick (if the opportunity is there that is)? We will see....

The Vancouver Canucks have their first rounder, no second rounder, then pick once in every round after that.
Stories continue to float around here and there that the Canucks may still move JT Miller and/or Brock Boeser....could they do either or both at the draft, garnering better picks in return?
Again, we will have to see....

I wonder if the treatment of Flyer's prospect Ivan Fedotov will have an affect of the drafting of Russian prospects seems Putin is trying to scare NHL teams so he can keep his kids i guess he may need them for his invasion instead of hockey.

Very scary times for Ivan i wish him all the luck in getting into the United States and Russia is not making it easy by any means.

Glad the thread got bumped .....

Anyone else reading that there could be a real possibility that Wright does NOT go #1 overall.  I have read several mocks in that happening.  Now do I really expect Montreal NOT picking Wright #1 ...no ....but I have read several possibilities that could occur...

1) Montreal - Slafkovsky

2) NJ - Nemec

3) Arizona - Wright

4) Seattle - Cooley

5) Flyers - Jiricek or Gauthier (for the record I like Savoie)

Either way if Montreal does NOT take Wright #1 there is no way either Wright or Cooley falls to #5 so it is a mute point IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if the treatment of Flyer's prospect Ivan Fedotov will have an affect of the drafting of Russian prospects seems Putin is trying to scare NHL teams so he can keep his kids i guess he may need them for his invasion instead of hockey.

Very scary times for Ivan i wish him all the luck in getting into the United States and Russia is not making it easy by any means.

To be honest, I've felt from the very beginning of this whole Russia-Ukraine thing, that the Russian athlete may be paying an unfair price overall.

Whether it's crazy things like what is going on with Fedotov, or simply teams shying away from Russian talents because of ANY potential headaches and/or optics.

Really sad state of affairs when an honest athlete just looking to make a living using his talents may be impacted this way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

To be honest, I've felt from the very beginning of this whole Russia-Ukraine thing, that the Russian athlete may be paying an unfair price overall.

Whether it's crazy things like what is going on with Fedotov, or simply teams shying away from Russian talents because of ANY potential headaches and/or optics.

Really sad state of affairs when an honest athlete just looking to make a living using his talents may be impacted this way.

Maybe they do this because he earned Silver in the Olympics and not Gold.

I hope not but if they do this to their star players what will they do to the little known ones??

I expect a lot of Russians to slide in the draft a great time to have a lot of 4th and 5th round picks.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Off with Putin's head!

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Anyone else reading that there could be a real possibility that Wright does NOT go #1 overall.  I have read several mocks in that happening.  Now do I really expect Montreal NOT picking Wright #1 ...no ....but I have read several possibilities that could occur...

1) Montreal - Slafkovsky

2) NJ - Nemec

3) Arizona - Wright

4) Seattle - Cooley

Either way if Montreal does NOT take Wright #1 there is no way either Wright or Cooley falls to #5 so it is a mute point IMO.

If Wright doesn't go 1st or 2nd Fletcher must be GM of Montreal and NJ. He's not superstar material, but he is captain material and a to top line centre. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If Wright doesn't go 1st or 2nd Fletcher must be GM of Montreal and NJ. He's not superstar material, but he is captain material and a to top line centre. 

Agree, but the counter argument I see from a potential NJ perspective is they already have Hughes and Hischier, do you draft yet another Center if the Habs do not draft Wright?  Sure I guess you could stick him on 3rd line to learn, but then the Devils would be stacked at Center for years to come or trade 1 of the 3 for a kings ransom.

Outside of Hamilton / Severson they are pretty thin at defense. I  "could see" the Devils going defense here and not draft Wright .....

Certainly a worthy discussion either way .....

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

1) Montreal - Slafkovsky

2) NJ - Nemec

3) Arizona - Wright

4) Seattle - Cooley

I am also hearing that Wright not go #1 as Slaf coukd slide right into that wing spot with Caulfield and Suzuki...i'd love for that to happen and watch the bell centre implode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Agree, but the counter argument I see from a potential NJ perspective is they already have Hughes and Hischier, do you draft yet another Center if the Habs do not draft Wright?  Sure I guess you could stick him on 3rd line to learn, but then the Devils would be stacked at Center for years to come or trade 1 of the 3 for a kings ransom.

Outside of Hamilton / Severson they are pretty thin at defense. I  "could see" the Devils going defense here and not draft Wright .....

Certainly a worthy discussion either way .....

If Wright doesn't go 1st, which I don't see happening, if I'm the Devils I take him and then deal Hischier at some point. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If Wright doesn't go 1st, which I don't see happening, if I'm the Devils I take him and then deal Hischier at some point. 

Agree ..... Hischier "might" bring back a decent return.  His ceiling is high but he has yet to produce on a consistent basis.

image.png.d57533ee8b6556cd816393329a49a3b9.png

However ...... I do understand he is still ONLY 23 going on 24 ....lots of room to grow.  This might have been another case where he would have benefited in another year with his Jr. Team.

• Like 2