*** 2022 NHL entry draft, July 7th and 8th - Bell Centre, Montreal ***

OccamsRazor

Rutger McGroarty, LW
Listed at 6'1 and 200 pounds, at just 18 yrs old, and current captain of his USHL team.

I don't know anything really about this young man, but I was highly impressed with his interview. Seems intelligent and poised beyond his years, not awed at all (though seemingly appreciative) by the big day that is upon him.

Talked to the media completely natural, didn't sound like he was 'prepared' in any way, and sounds very realistic on his path to the NHL and what he has to do to get there, while giving full props to the people (family, friends, and coaches) that helped him get this far, and who will help him get further.

He is being projected to go anywhere in the 20-30th pick range of the first round and I think whomever gets him, could end up with a very, very solid, smart, versatile, middle six forward.
Why just middle six?

Well, even by his own admission (and from the scouting reports I did read), his skating speed could be an issue, as many scouts think it isn't quite NHL quality, while his other skill sets are.
The young man said he would do whatever  he has to to increase his overall speed, but feels he can still help his linemates get better via his playing skills.

Quite a statement from an 18 yr old....humble, yet confident, with maybe a twinge of arrogance (not a bad thing in this case)...just enough to maybe get him noticed by someone willing to help him with the NHL speed issues while benefitting from his other assets.

One player in the NHL right now who isn't a particularly fast skater, but gets by excellently with his other skills is one Leon Draisaitl.
Now...not saying McGroarty is the next Drai, but saying it is possible, if the other skills are above average to great, and the player is willing to work on his deficiencies, he could still carve out a very good NHL career.

Like I said, I was very impressed by this young man.
Not many 'kids' like him come off as sounding more mature than guys 5 or 6 years his senior.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And here we go....

The Montreal Canadiens, on the clock, whom do they pick?
McDavid? Matthews? Stamkos? Ovechkin? Gretzky!!??

Habs fans can't wait! :shifty: 

Pat Falloon!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You'd think the Devils would go for the highest rated defenseman if going by need....but, if going by best available, probably Wright. 

Taking need at 2nd overall is insanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just realized both Martin St. Louis and Vinnie Lecavalier are in the employ for the Montreal Canadiens...Vinnie as advisor to the GM if I am not mistaken.

Brings back memories of days when, as players, it was often reported how the Habs would have loved to have wrested away one or both away from the Lightning.

Well, Montreal, you finally got them.... as coaches and front office personnel.
While us Bolts fans had to settle for just having them as players and a Stanley Cup to go with them... sigh! :shifty: 

All messing aside, all the best to both MSL and VLC in trying to make a franchise out of the Canadiens once again.
Will always appreciate those two no matter who they go work for.