Ilya Bryzgalov to Fan: "You Care Too Much"

Guest Irishjim

Judging by the boos on Saturday, and that .900 sv % (good for 62nd in the league), it’s safe to say that, thus far, none of us are too happy with the Flyers’ $51 million investment.

Based on some recent comments, Bryz isn't too happy, either. This is what he told reporters on Saturday:

“You know, I think it’s an easy life when you can blame one guy…’it’s a bad goalie, it’s the goalie’s mistake.’ It’s easy to find a scapegoat. You point to one guy and say we’re always losing because we have a bad goalie, but I think it’s the wrong philosophy. I know I was frustrated in my game today and I know I have to be better and I will continue to work on this, but….I will try to find peace in my soul to play in this city”

Yeah, see, that’s not good. And when you factor in Bryz's

lost in the woods statement, the team has a better chance to win without me comments from the Winter Classic, and his general demeanor, you can’t help but think that he may become one of the players that gets eaten up by this market.

Reader T.J. gets that sense, as well.

T.J., a 39-year-old father with whom I spoke earlier today, brought his 9-year-old son to the Flyers Wives Carnival yesterday. His son wore an Ilya Bryzgalov jersey and was thrilled when he got to shoot on the $51 million goaltender. Later, at an autograph signing where Bryz signed a picture for the young fan, T.J. tried to give the forlorn goalie a fan’s vote of confidence:

I said, “Hey Bryz, this is a great city to play in. If the fans didn’t care, you wouldn’t hear from anybody. But good luck the rest of the year, man.” And he looked at me, kind of crinkled his lips, put his head back and to the side and said, “I think you (the city) care too much.”

I didn’t say anything. There were other people around, a couple ladies were behind me, in line, and like “no, no, no.” They were kind of groaning a little bit. I could have said all kinds of things to him, but that was not the time, place, nothing. Especially since I was standing there with my kid. He’s in awe of the big-time goalie for the Flyers. So I wasn’t going to say anything.

That’s hardly criminal. But telling a fan - one who paid around $20 just to meet you - that “they care too much,” is a just about the worst thing an athlete can say to a fan or fan base. In fact, I just came up with a rule, which I do wish that you will like: Any time an athlete who you’re paying to see (and that includes purchasing a ticket to watch them perform) tells you that you or the fan base "cares too much," you can do one of two things: 1) punch him-- but that might not end well. Or, 2) (recommended) Google his salary and contract info (in the case of Ilya Bryzgalov, $51 million), and inform him that your “caring too much” allows him to own a humongous house and hot girl Husky like this:

T.J. was bothered enough by the comment and Bryz’s demeanor, which sounded like it was somewhere between indifferent and tolerant, that he thought the encounter should be shared. And so do I.

Between that comment and many others this season, it’s fair to question whether Bryz can hang in this city. I wonder if any team would be willing to take that humongous big contract off the Flyers’ hands?

Probably not.

Judging by the boos on Saturday, and that .900 sv % (good for 62nd in the league), it’s safe to say that, thus far, none of us are too happy with the Flyers’ $51 million investment.

Based on some recent comments, Bryz isn't too happy, either. This is what he told reporters on Saturday:

“You know, I think it’s an easy life when you can blame one guy…’it’s a bad goalie, it’s the goalie’s mistake.’ It’s easy to find a scapegoat. You point to one guy and say we’re always losing because we have a bad goalie, but I think it’s the wrong philosophy. I know I was frustrated in my game today and I know I have to be better and I will continue to work on this, but….I will try to find peace in my soul to play in this city”

Yeah, see, that’s not good. And when you factor in Bryz's

lost in the woods statement, the team has a better chance to win without me comments from the Winter Classic, and his general demeanor, you can’t help but think that he may become one of the players that gets eaten up by this market.

Reader T.J. gets that sense, as well.

T.J., a 39-year-old father with whom I spoke earlier today, brought his 9-year-old son to the Flyers Wives Carnival yesterday. His son wore an Ilya Bryzgalov jersey and was thrilled when he got to shoot on the $51 million goaltender. Later, at an autograph signing where Bryz signed a picture for the young fan, T.J. tried to give the forlorn goalie a fan’s vote of confidence:

I said, “Hey Bryz, this is a great city to play in. If the fans didn’t care, you wouldn’t hear from anybody. But good luck the rest of the year, man.” And he looked at me, kind of crinkled his lips, put his head back and to the side and said, “I think you (the city) care too much.”

I didn’t say anything. There were other people around, a couple ladies were behind me, in line, and like “no, no, no.” They were kind of groaning a little bit. I could have said all kinds of things to him, but that was not the time, place, nothing. Especially since I was standing there with my kid. He’s in awe of the big-time goalie for the Flyers. So I wasn’t going to say anything.

That’s hardly criminal. But telling a fan - one who paid around $20 just to meet you - that “they care too much,” is a just about the worst thing an athlete can say to a fan or fan base. In fact, I just came up with a rule, which I do wish that you will like: Any time an athlete who you’re paying to see (and that includes purchasing a ticket to watch them perform) tells you that you or the fan base "cares too much," you can do one of two things: 1) punch him-- but that might not end well. Or, 2) (recommended) Google his salary and contract info (in the case of Ilya Bryzgalov, $51 million), and inform him that your “caring too much” allows him to own a humongous house and hot girl Husky like this:

T.J. was bothered enough by the comment and Bryz’s demeanor, which sounded like it was somewhere between indifferent and tolerant, that he thought the encounter should be shared. And so do I.

Between that comment and many others this season, it’s fair to question whether Bryz can hang in this city. I wonder if any team would be willing to take that humongous big contract off the Flyers’ hands?

Probably not.

I just read this. He WILL NOT last in this market. I will take mason any day of the week over this nonsense. Put Bryz in the Nash deal and take back Mason. Give them JVR, Carle, a 1st, and Schenn immediately.

It makes me sick just thinking about one of our athletes making a comment like that! It's like the kids gowing up who were jealous that you were better at a sport then they are, so they just make fun of you saying "You try too hard." It was just a way for them to feel comfortable in their own skin.

I think it is a similar thing going on here with Bryz. He came here wanting to win and telling us his goal is to win this city a Cup. Now that things are not going so well, the passionate fans of Philly just care too much. He should care more the anyone since he is reaping the benefits of major overpayment. But he already has his safety net lined up for himself in his own mind. For him, he isn't playing that bad, we fans just expect too much out of him because we care too much.

That sort of attitude does not fly here and I hope we don't have to watch him playing here much longer. Unfortunately that's probably who we will see playing here for 8 more years!

The thing is, Bryz will face the pressure because of what he gets paid. If he was being paid a modest salary and struggling we'd still notice, but would take it easier on him. Take Boucher for instance...He's had his fair share of bad games, soft goals, etc. but he 'gets it'. He knew what he was, said the right things, and got paid accordingly. For Bryz to come in here and accept the humongous contract to play goalie in Philly was like signing a pact with the devil... with that contract comes enormous responsibility and consequences far more reaching than he ever imagined. Kinda' like that twilight zone episode 'a game of pool'.

See that's a problem you didn't understand his contest, because it's translation from Russian language, I would say same thing and people would what f.. did you say now? well he meant, You care too much, it's overwhelming to him and he can't handle this situation, so meaning you are over care , meaning blowing this thing over the propulsion. He needs less attention, because it’s a game and show in the end. He is trying his best, and will try it, but for media should shut f… up for a little time. It’s hard to translate the whole meaning of it, but its Russian way (language) to say these things.

When I read this thread name I'm like nice he is trying to calm down people areound, but then reading these replay and all negative language, well I read it again and understood where is coming it.

if bryz wasn't the egotistical typical athlete that he is... he might have considered apologizing the fans at the carnival for his poor play. it was the perfect opportunity to do so. instead, he takes the opportunity to basically tell them they need to chill out. that's not cool. and historically, that doesn't play well in philly.

in fact, it almost seems like instead of taking an honest approach and putting his head down, keeping his mouth shut, and working harder... he's taken to giving up and putting it on the unrealistic expectations of the fans. his body language and comments to the media are more than a bit concerning.

sat was my first game at the FUC center.. oh wait.. WFC in 2 years. of course i was really keen to observe ilya. his body language has defeat written all over it. that's why he looks as bad as he does on these bad goals. i mean... on sat... they were ALL bad goals. he should have stopped them, but just observing his body language would tell you he can't stop much. he looks defeated. is that the fans fault? i don't think so. he's playing poorly, he knows it and probably puts enough pressure on himself that he doesn't need to hear it from anyone else. thing is... stop acting like a teenager or child and take responsibility and get out there. the media, the fans.. everyone will lay off if you have the right attitude and try. he doesn't look like he's trying and he's certainly not saying the right things. this will only make his time here in philly more difficult.

for all of boucher's faults, he owned up to his mistakes and said the right things. this endeared fans to root for him. he still wasn't good enough, but he didn't take nearly as much flack as bryz has so far. if bryz would adopt some of boucher's attitude, i think it would go a long way in helping him in that regard.

it's a 2-way street and right now i don't think bryz is viewing it that way.

@Irishjim

So then...there is hope. Hope that he hates it here so much, that there is so little peace for his soul here, so little nourishment for his complex mojo that...he will just leave. He may just be strange enough to pull something like that.

@Irishjim

So then...there is hope. Hope that he hates it here so much, that there is so little peace for his soul here, so little nourishment for his complex mojo that...he will just leave. He may just be strange enough to pull something like that.

thats my hope he caves and says get me out of here

I call bull **** with this story. Want to hear what my plumber's, brother's friend told him?

I think the internets is terrible for this type of crap, it's even worse when people believe it and pass it around as true(sorry Jim!).

Edited by Green Man

The Philly fans care too much? No No No as somebody said. Matters not the sport it is a tradition that we root for our guys and want them to earn their keep.,"if you can't stamd the heat get out of the kitchen " We are goalied out. We want the guy who will do the job!

@Green Man

I may be speaking out of hand here, but I think Jim is quoting an article from somewhere-not just "passing around crap". If so, it sounds like the author spoke to this TJ at the carnival and the reporter is sharing his interaction with a fan. If you want to question whether TJ was lying to the author, that's one thing. But I don't think Jim did anything wrong by posting this article.

"Bryzaster" just came up in the game chat over the weekend

I was on chat at the time, think it was Doom. Or maybe it was Doom who said he thought it was bloody brilliant, which it is. It doesn't matter what Bryz said, or whether it was translated properly. It's the opening of his mouth, along with his gaping five-hole, that's the problem. He just needs to shut the f**k up. Period. It's his only chance to survive this. Maybe if he did shut his ******* mouth his brain would be freeed up to focus on stopping pucks.

Maybe if he did shut his ******* mouth his brain would be freeed up to focus on stopping pucks.

I'm not sure if you were just joking or what but to me that is the key (if there is one at all) to fixing this BryzAster in net. His first priority is looking good / sounding good, so if he really did "shut his ******* mouth" for a few weeks maybe he would be able to concentrate on his job and quit thinking up new ways to be "a character."

I wonder how much better the TEAM D would be if there was a solid goaltender in net every night...hmmm...I know the TEAM has its problems but we really screwed ourselves buying into this Bryzgalov clown.

This is hearsay posted on a blog, and as we all know blogs are like a**holes.....

That said, I do not think Bryz has what it takes to play here, or Toronto or Montreal et al. Thin skin for a hockey player

I was on chat at the time, think it was Doom. Or maybe it was Doom who said he thought it was bloody brilliant, which it is. It doesn't matter what Bryz said, or whether it was translated properly. It's the opening of his mouth, along with his gaping five-hole, that's the problem. He just needs to shut the f**k up. Period. It's his only chance to survive this. Maybe if he did shut his ******* mouth his brain would be freeed up to focus on stopping pucks.

I thought I came up with that one, but someone may have beaten me to it. I called him that to my dad and it stuck in my head so I wanted t share it.