2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

Here is my mock:

1. Montreal Canadiens: Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL):  Wright is highly likely to become a very good NHL player and a first-line centerman, and a good enough player to help the Habs build a one-two punch at center.

2. New Jersey Devils: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, Tps (FINLAND): The Devils have their top-six center depth thanks to two previous No. 1 overall picks in Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes. With the second overall pick, New Jersey has options. Hopefully they will be enticed by Slafkovsky.  Slafkovsky’s size and physical edge makes him arguably one of the more dominant players in this draft — especially coming right out of the draft. There are some small holes in his game like his skating.

3. Arizona Coyotes: Logan Cooley, C, USA U-18 (NTDP):  Arizona needs everything.  I suspect the Coyotes, given the makeup of their team and prospect pool, are among the teams drafting at the top who are most likely to select one of the top two defensemen, Simon Nemec and David Jiricek.  However, if Cooley is there, it would be a very hard to pass him up.  Any other draft without Wright and Cooley could make a case to go #1.  Cooley will succeed in the NHL due to his complete game and Selke Trophy-like qualities.  Cooley has the potential to be a high-scoring two-way center who can play both the power play and penalty kill and be matched up against the top lines in the NHL. At 5-foot-10, he might not be as impactful physically as Aleksander Barkov or Jonathan Toews, who are 6-foot-3 and 6-foot-2 respectively, but his hockey sense and elusive nature will make him effective nonetheless.   Alternate pick here: Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)

4. Seattle Kraken: Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (SLOVAKIA): Look throughout the organization. The Kraken only have one right-handed shooting prospect defenseman, and that is last year’s fourth-round pick Ville Ottavainen.  Nemec strikes me as the best combination of talent plus need available to them at No. 4. Nemec absolutely has top-pair potential, given his well-rounded skillset and the fact that he’s already thriving against men in Slovakia.  Teams covet right -handed shots and he’s one of the best in this class, as he already has the poise and confidence. He’s an impact player that can do damage in any situation. He’s a top-pairing, power play quarter-back and shut down defender on the penalty kill.  Alternate pick here: Logan Cooley, C, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Philadelphia Flyers: Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL): Savoie (5-10) does not have classic No. 1 center size, but he has a game-changer’s speed and skill set along with an NHL shot. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, too.  The Flyers lack talent. Period.  With Giroux now in Florida, the Flyers need a forward with talent. Savoie might be the most offensively gifted prospects in this draft with his speed, silky smooth hands and premier playmaking abilities.  

If the well-rounded Wright and Cooley weren’t part of this draft, I could easily see Savoie going first overall. He’s just that good. He not only can beat you with a quick deke or burst of speed but also brilliantly set up someone as well. When he’s on the ice, opponents can’t just focus on him, they have to make sure to cover his wingers and defencemen too or he will find them with a precise pass. As it is, he probably will get taken third or fourth overall behind Wright, Cooley and maybe even Simon Nemec if a team feels they desperately need a top-pairing defenceman. 

Savoie has the tools to become an elite top-line forward in the NHL. It remains to be seen if he stays at center ice when he makes it there, but even if he’s a winger, he will still be a threat to score 90-plus points in his prime. His speed, vision, shot and playmaking abilities will make sure of that. If he gets to play with a legitimate goalscorer, the sky’s the limit   

Alternate pick: Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (SLOVAKIA):  Per Charlie Connor of the Athletic...

Philadelphia scouts likely will be impressed by his hockey IQ (always something they prioritize in their evaluations), and his scoring explosion in the Slovakian Elite League playoffs (17 points in 19 games) speaks to his offensive upside. The fact that he’s a right-handed defenseman is just a bonus, but it’s an important bonus given the dearth of them in the NHL and within the Flyers’ system, especially given the legitimate concerns surrounding Ryan Ellis’ health. Nemec would serve as a potential high-end solution to a roster issue they’ve been trying to solve for years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Debatable.  But, he does fulfill some huge needs the Flyers have if they're able to grab him.

Many agree that Cooley is #2, and would probably be #1 if Wright didn't improve his game A LOT.  And I believe Nemec is going to be a good defenseman in the league.  Don't want to see either player going to the Devils.

Slafkovsky shouldn't be a top 5 pick, imo.  He has some skill.  But, he's a big body that needs a lot of work on his skating.  And, it's the type of player that's having difficulties at the NHL level presently.  So, wouldn't mind seeing Fitzgerald make the mistake and taking the big project at #2 instead of Cooley, and seeing Cooley and Nemec head out West instead of onto a Met division opponent.

Slafovsky also went on a huge shooting heater in which he was scoring at like a 25% clip on his shots after the Olympics. That kind of sitting percentage is unsustainable.

Honestly, at 5, it should be Savoie. The Flyers need offensive talent in the forward group. Savoie is simply the best offensive player. Not best all around player like Wright or Cooley. What worries me is that Flyers brass don't like offensively talented forwards. They want all two way guys. If you look at every Stanley Cup winning team, you need a forward that is capable of being a 90 point player and an offensive dynamo. Savoie fits the bill. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Screwed again.  5th pick.

You think you're mad now imagine next season and the Flyers were to finish last(after all those tanking efforts)and then be bumped to 2nd by the Devils or whomever it would be...

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You think you're mad now imagine next season and the Flyers were to finish last(after all those tanking efforts)and then be bumped to 2nd by the Devils or whomever it would be...

surely you jest ...... :idontthinkso:

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No. Serious.

I have seen it happen to many times to the Flyers.

When is the last time they had something break their way?

The last I can think of was the Matt Carle tying goal to force OT in 2010 vs Rangers for the playoffs or go home.

Maybe I am forgetting something refresh my memory I remember how the JVR draft went as well as the Nolan Patrick one.

So yes like the year of the JVR draft which IIRC was the first draft where there was a lottery and the Flyers were the worst team and still drafted 2nd.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

No. Serious.

I have seen it happen to many times to the Flyers

Oh I totally get...and agree with you.  the comment was more of a "bite your tongue" because  I absolutely agree with.  I cannot think of the last time the Flyers "actually caught a break" and had things go their way .....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Oh I totally get...and agree with you.  the comment was more of a "bite your tongue" because  I absolutely agree with.  I cannot think of the last time the Flyers "actually caught a break" and had things go their way ....

November 1967....i was born

• Haha 1

I would be fine with Nemec also @ 5.

He projects as top pair RHD...Not a lot of those in the system. With the timing of his development maybe he's a good hedge vs Ellis' health continuing to fade.

Maybe the high-end player comes via trade or FA signing this year.

My thought would be to maybe trade back into the teens take a guy with great skating and high upside potential like Frank Nazar and seeing if an extra 1st in '23 or a second in '22 or 23 can be added.

Savoie feels like a consolation prize to me.  

I have only just read a few scouting reports on him, the things I don't like are his size and projected NHL average speed (even though he is an above average skater) I want speed and explosiveness.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

thanks for the reminder on Slavofsky- Braden Schenn became the best player not in the NHL based on a heater he went on in a world's competition, it's not like he's a bad player (he's fine) but he never became that #1 centerman, perennial all-star that some had thought. Schenn definitely benefited from that notoriety well into his pro career, could be the big Finn has a similar trajectory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Damn you're old is that back Ina day when the puck was made of wood?

Asking for a friend.

To celebrate my birth, teh Flyers entered the league and the pth to the BSBs was set.

No thanks needed. I was happy t do it

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I would be fine with Nemec also @ 5.

He projects as top pair RHD...Not a lot of those in the system. With the timing of his development maybe he's a good hedge vs Ellis' health continuing to fade.

You can never have too many dmen. 

Maybe the high-end player comes via trade or FA signing this year.

Good one! 

My thought would be to maybe trade back into the teens take a guy with great skating and high upside potential like Frank Nazar and seeing if an extra 1st in '23 or a second in '22 or 23 can be added.

You don't like Savoies size, so you want to trade back for a guy thats...Savoies size? 

Savoie feels like a consolation prize to me.  

I have only just read a few scouting reports on him, the things I don't like are his size and projected NHL average speed (even though he is an above average skater) I want speed and explosiveness.

Not sure where you're scouting report comes from...Savoie has speed. And explosiveness. He's also one of the most dynamic players in this draft. Probably the best at controlling the puck at high speed. An NHL calibre wrister. Plays with an edge. Non stop motor. I'm not saying he will be, but if he ends up the best player in this draft I won't be shocked.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

thanks for the reminder on Slavofsky- Braden Schenn became the best player not in the NHL based on a heater he went on in a world's competition, it's not like he's a bad player (he's fine) but he never became that #1 centerman, perennial all-star that some had thought. Schenn definitely benefited from that notoriety well into his pro career, could be the big Finn has a similar trajectory.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Absolutely no issue with Savoie's size with the game he brings with that size.  Certainly not a "consolation prize".  Lmao...Crazy comment...

His speed, ability with the puck on his stick while using that speed, ability to finish, and his constant work ethic and feet continuously moving are ALL things that this team BADLY needs.  And they badly need that work ethic to be an infection that goes up and down the entire bench.

Exactly why I expect him to be sitting there at 5 and Chuckles will piss us all off and try to get cute and go off the board I just know it.

Happy to be wrong...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure where you're scouting report comes from...Savoie has speed. And explosiveness. He's also one of the most dynamic players in this draft. Probably the best at controlling the puck at high speed. An NHL calibre wrister. Plays with an edge. Non stop motor. I'm not saying he will be, but if he ends up the best

I was reading Corey Pronman who lists his skating as above average but made a point to mention he didn't see explosiveness thought maybe he couldn't find space vs NHL defenseman. 

Seemed like an important add.

He could have just said he is a good skater.

I would want Cooley. 

He's not going to be there though.

Nazar is blindingly fast. 

If it nets another asset... the team needs more than one fast kid with skill.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I was reading Corey Pronman who lists his skating as above average but made a point to mention he didn't see explosiveness thought maybe he couldn't find space vs NHL defenseman. 

Seemed like an important add.

He could have just said he is a good skater.

I would want Cooley. 

He's not going to be there though.

Nazar is blindingly fast. 

If it nets another asset... the team needs more than one fast kid with skill.

Well Savoie is rated top 5 by a few people, top 10 by everyone basically. As for his skating, he won 4 of the 8 skating competitions in the WHL.

Morreale -- Matthew Savoie: One of the most dynamic skaters in this draft class, 

Kimelman -- Matt Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL):  speedy, skilled young forwards with Savoie (5-9, 175), who might be the fastest skater in the 2022 draft class. He has an explosive offensive game and a high hockey IQ that allows him to be in the right place all the time.

Philadelphia Flyers: Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

There's no denying Savoie's goal-scoring ability. His speed/shot combination makes him dangerous whenever he's in the offensive zone. 

Savoie (5-10) does not have classic No. 1 center size, but he has a game-changer’s speed and skill set along with an NHL shot. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, too, 

Comparing the three, Savoie might be the most offensively gifted with his speed, silky smooth hands and premier playmaking abilities. 

It sounds like Pronman hasn't actually seen Savoie skate.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pronman use to be affiliated with ESPN???

Say no more they don't know shat aboot hockey...

:VeryCool:

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly why I expect him to be sitting there at 5 and Chuckles will piss us all off and try to get cute and go off the board I just know it.

Happy to be wrong...

You just know that Fletcher will find a way to **** it up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, flyercanuck said:

See this is interesting, because of the fact he went out of his way to add the line, it made me think that he had seen him skate and was adding his thoughts to the general consensus.

• Like 1