2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

True, we do need skill, speed and finesse up front, but we also need some big wingers with skill too. So if either Savoie or Slavofsky happens to fall to #5, then either one will do. As slow and unskilled as we are, we are also small and weak and lose almost every battle on the boards and in front, when we played the Isles 2 years ago in the playoffs,we were completely out hit, out muscled and out skated. It was purely Hart that got us to seven games, the writing was on the wall then. We can’t play a skating game or a physical game .At least in the old days we would outwork and outhit our opponents and win a lot of games on sheer determination, even if they were better than us skill wise. We took Edmonton to 7 games in 87, their centers were Messier and Gretzky, we had Poulin and Sutter, our team wasn’t highly skilled but we worked as a team and put in a big effort every night.

Savoie is NOT big. Skilled, he is. JVR is big and skilled. My daughter could take the puck off him in the corner. 

We do need skill. We do need size.  But as you mentioned, heart goes a long way. 

• Like 2

From what I hear there is a need at the Center position in Philly. Having a player that can play multiple positions such as Slafkovsky is a plus. A guy like Cooley even though he is committed to the University of Minnesota is fine because I don't think any of these players are actually ready to contribute right away. Then there is Savoie which seems like a consensus selection at where the Flyers pick. 

Also selecting a Defense player could also help the Flyers and that player would be Nemec. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

we are also small and weak and lose almost every battle on the boards and in front

Sometimes that isn't about size sometimes at the end of the day you didn't want it bad enough.

I'm 5-11. When i played i always played against guys who were 6-1 6-3 or 6-4.

Still out played them because well i had to find another way to out work the other guy.

Preparation and training can sometimes swing the tide it did for me because well i wasn't going to grow any taller...so i can do find another way.

Give me a 3 star with something to prove over a 5 star who thinks he has arrived....all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

True, we do need skill, speed and finesse up front, but we also need some big wingers with skill too. So if either Savoie or Slavofsky happens to fall to #5, then either one will do. As slow and unskilled as we are, we are also small and weak and lose almost every battle on the boards and in front, when we played the Isles 2 years ago in the playoffs,we were completely out hit, out muscled and out skated. It was purely Hart that got us to seven games, the writing was on the wall then. We can’t play a skating game or a physical game .At least in the old days we would outwork and outhit our opponents and win a lot of games on sheer determination, even if they were better than us skill wise. We took Edmonton to 7 games in 87, their centers were Messier and Gretzky, we had Poulin and Sutter, our team wasn’t highly skilled but we worked as a team and put in a big effort every night.

We have big wingers with size that are coming through. As long as his shoulders hold up, Tyson Foerster is one. I know there are a number of people who worry about Wade Allison, but if the Flyers replace their medical staff with competent medical people I think we'll see the end of his injury prone days. I'm also thinking that this will be the year that Ratcliffe earns a spot in the bottom six and we can't forget about Tippett either. So, there is size on the wings in Philadelphia and in the pipeline. We desperately need speed and skill though and I'll take Savoie. He's built like a tank for only 5'9, so it's not as if he's going to get pushed around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sometimes that isn't about size sometimes at the end of the day you didn't want it bad enough.

I'm 5-11. When i played i always played against guys who were 6-1 6-3 or 6-4.

Still out played them because well i had to find another way to out work the other guy.

Preparation and training can sometimes swing the tide it did for me because well i wasn't going to grow any taller...so i can do find another way.

Give me a 3 star with something to prove over a 5 star who thinks he has arrived....all day.

Right…we don’t want someone who is a 98lb weakling trapped in a 6ft 3 ,220lb body like JVR. We want a either a big guy who plays the way he should or a smaller guy who plays big. Bobby Clarke wasn’t a strong guy, wasn’t fast ,didn’t have a big shot, but he was strong in his mind, he outworked and out hustled guys who had way more natural skill than him. Richards was very similar. We have too many guys that are mentally weak. 

5 hours ago, Rat Trick said:

From what I hear there is a need at the Center position in Philly. Having a player that can play multiple positions such as Slafkovsky is a plus

We have Laughton 

:PostAward4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

We have Laughton 

:PostAward4:

Um, I really don't know what to say about that. I still think there could be a major upgrade at that position just glancing at the players that currently are there. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rat Trick said:

Um, I really don't know what to say about that. I still think there could be a major upgrade at that position just glancing at the players that currently are there. 

Ignore me, I'm just being an a-hole. It's a longstanding complaint I've had here in our forum

Your POV is very valid

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

You're right.  There could be a major upgrade at center.  And, there should be.

However, this team is stuck with what they have at center.  Couturier as first line center, who this front office loves and greatly overrates.  He's a good player.  But, whether he's a 1st line center is debatable.  And whether he's worth 7.75 mil is VERY debatable.  They aren't moving him.  And probably couldn't with that salary extension, even if they wanted to.

Hayes as the 2nd line center, who is a HUGE mistake made by Chuck and this team's front office that they are incapable of admitting is a mistake.  No team wants him even if the front office was willing to admit to the mistake and wanted to move him.  Not only don't teams want the player that he is, but they only laugh at his ridiculous 7.1 mil extension.

Frost as the 3rd line center(who should probably be the 2nd line center if this front office didn't allow their ego to get in the way, and needs to convince others that Hayes isn't an overpaid mistake).  He's shoppable.  But the return he'll get isn't much more than a 3rd line center that maybe could compete for the 2nd line center position if not for the front office's ego issue.  He's an underperforming playmaker prospect who badly needs to work on his consistency.

And Laughton.  A 4th line center making 3 mil a year who they continually overrate and try to make him into more than he is.  Continually failing since he's nothing more than a 4th line NHL center.  And overpaid him because they overrated him.  Also shoppable, but there aren't teams that want 4th line centers making 3 mil a year through '25-26.

Yes, you're right.  There could be a major upgrade at center, if Chuck Fletcher didn't make the mistakes he made with the centers on this roster.  This team is stuck with the centers they have, unfortunately.

Completely disagree about Slafkovsky.  Slafkovsky is a good player.  But, he has his flaws.  One of his major strengths is his board play.  One of his major weaknesses is his skating and speed.  And he's a player who takes shifts off.  Which has clearly shown itself in this season's Worlds.  Moving a player like that into the center position is only setting that player up for failure at the NHL level.  He's not a center.  He's a left shooting, left wing.  And, the ONE thing that the Flyers absolutely don't need more of is a big, slow forward that shows disinterest during games.  They already have deadweights like that in Hayes and JVR.  They don't need to add more to the roster.

TLDR

On 5/16/2022 at 12:23 PM, RonJeremy said:

Right…we don’t want someone who is a 98lb weakling trapped in a 6ft 3 ,220lb body like JVR. We want a either a big guy who plays the way he should or a smaller guy who plays big. Bobby Clarke wasn’t a strong guy, wasn’t fast ,didn’t have a big shot, but he was strong in his mind, he outworked and out hustled guys who had way more natural skill than him. Richards was very similar. We have too many guys that are mentally weak. 

98 lb weakling traped in a 6ft 3 body describes Sanhiem to a T

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

98 lb weakling traped in a 6ft 3 body describes Sanhiem to a T

True, he needs to build some upper body strength to win some battles and it was embarrassing when Nathan Gerbe who is practically a dwarf, dwarf tossed Sanheim in a fight. I do have to give Sanheim credit, he was our best dman and his offensive game really improved this year. As long as he us providing offense and setting up plays, we dont need him to be a tough guy,.but he should be hitting the gym to improve his overall game.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:23 PM, RonJeremy said:

REC was a very talented player, with amazing anticipation and high hockey IQ. In addition to the heart of a lion. 

10 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

His playing weight was apparently around 198 lbs this season.  If that's where he needs to be in order to play the game he played this season, 198 is just fine.

Not sure what it is you have against "Sanheim".  But, you must not have watched him play much this season.  After that season, he should strongly be considered in training camp to be Provy's partner on the first pairing next season.

Sanheim was really the only bright spot this past season. He improved a whole bunch. Would still like to see a little more nasty in his game, it would give him a little more time and space chasing pucks in his own end.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

His playing weight was apparently around 198 lbs this season.  If that's where he needs to be in order to play the game he played this season, 198 is just fine.

Not sure what it is you have against "Sanheim".  But, you must not have watched him play much this season.  After that season, he should strongly be considered in training camp to be Provy's partner on the first pairing next season.

My guess is it's either Ristolainens mom or Sanheim stole his girl. I can't think of any other reason someone could actually watch them play hockey and think Ristolainen is better, at any aspect of the game, other than hitting hard. he's not even that good at hitting, because he takes himself out of the play to do it, or he takes his own player out with the hit. He's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yes he was the best D man this year and that's really  sad. What I have against him is he gives the blue line up all the time and  is afraid  to make any contact with an aposing  player he doesn't  have to be a tuff guy just hit someone  evey now and then

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's not a guy that's going to take himself out of position just to hit a player, like Risto for example.  Wasn't anything sad about him being their best dman.  He earned it.  His play was fine.  And he had a career year in hits this year at 64.  As a reference, Provy had 74.  Can they both increase those stats?  Sure.  Does this team need either one of them taking stupid chances, taking them out of position to increase those stats?  Absolutely not.  And, it's certainly not a reason to crap on the guy's solid play everytime you mention him.  I'll say it again, you must not have watched him play very much this season.  What he did have this season is 142 blocks.  And as a reference, Provy had 172.  His game was just fine, even with the pathetic coaching they had behind the bench after AV and Therrien were let go.  I want to see him improve also.  But, he's far from being the problem on this team's roster.

Imo, he and York battle it out in training camp for that top pairing position with Provy.  And whoever doesn't win the job gets paired with Attard on the 2nd pairing.  Convinced the Ellis talk is just more talk, he's the bust that he is and won't be able to play this game any longer.

Ok  I said hit someone  every  now and then doesn't  mean take yourself  out of position make a  clean hit that's it. Being the best D man on this team is nothing to be proud of,the D in hole suck *** this year.Don't know about Ellis next year but if he plays he's on the top line

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

My guess is it's either Ristolainens mom or Sanheim stole his girl. I can't think of any other reason someone could actually watch them play hockey and think Ristolainen is better, at any aspect of the game, other than hitting hard. he's not even that good at hitting, because he takes himself out of the play to do it, or he takes his own player out with the hit. He's one of the dumbest players I've ever seen. 

This player is probably a later round selection and won't go as high as the 5th pick, but Forward Jack Devine from the University of Denver is someone a team should keep an eye on as he is a very skilled skater and a good play maker. 

6 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And his stats show he does that.  And shows that he increased that part of his game last season.  He's not an NHL dman that's going to get 200 hits in a season.  Provy can get back to that 150 hit player he was.  But, neither one are guys that will lead the league in hits.  What they both need to work on is their offensive consistency(especially Provy), increasing their takeaways, and decreasing their giveaways.

Lol...  Obviously.  But, in the scenario where he's the bust he appears to be, and will be nothing more than LTIR material, then it's York and Sanheim competing for that top pair position.  Sanheim increasing his hits a bit will certainly help that battle.(York had 20 hits in 30 games played, btw)  But, with Sanheim's game, the above things are MUCH more important aspects of his game that need to improve.

If you think Sanheim is a top line defenseman next year this team is in trouble he had some of his worst games  this year on the top line .Ellis isn't a bust bet he'll play next year.He'll be on the 2nd line with York 

6 hours ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

Yes he was the best D man this year and that's really  sad. What I have against him is he gives the blue line up all the time and  is afraid  to make any contact with an aposing  player he doesn't  have to be a tuff guy just hit someone  evey now and then

Maybe you should have issue with ALL the defencemen that he's better than? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pedo 228 ERQS said:

Ok  I said hit someone  every  now and then doesn't  mean take yourself  out of position make a  clean hit that's it. Being the best D man on this team is nothing to be proud of,the D in hole suck *** this year.Don't know about Ellis next year but if he plays he's on the top line

Sanheim doesn't need to lay people out, all he needs is some more upper body strength to win some battles on the boards and be able to push some guys off the puck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Sanheim doesn't need to lay people out, all he needs is some more upper body strength to win some battles on the boards and be able to push some guys off the puck.

I dont think "hitting someone" is the same as "laying" them out. Just like dropping the gloves every now and then doesn't make you a goon or enforcer

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont think "hitting someone" is the same as "laying" them out. Just like dropping the gloves every now and then doesn't make you a goon or enforcer

Let's not get carried away, the only thing Sanheim can drop is his panties 😜. Rubbing  someone out on the boards the and being strong enough to win some battles is just fine from a guy like Sanheim but getting rag dolled by Nathan Gerber Baby was embarrassing. He just needs some upper body strength. As long as Sanheim is rushing the puck and creating offense he is valuable. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Let's not get carried away, the only thing Sanheim can drop is his panties 😜. Rubbing  someone out on the boards the and being strong enough to win some battles is just fine from a guy like Sanheim but getting rag dolled by Nathan Gerber Baby was embarrassing. He just needs some upper body strength. As long as Sanheim is rushing the puck and creating offense he is valuable. 

Yeah he can get stronger all he wants you can paint stripes on a kitty all you want but at the end of the day he is still just a kitty.

Give him some milk...

• Like 1