2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

4 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yes.  Would much rather see Sanheim moving bodies more often from the front of the net, winning the board battles(not an issue with his current game at all - his board play is very good), winning the one-on-one battles, continuing to carry pucks through the neutral zone well, and improving his production consistency, instead of seeing him have 150 hits a season.  He'll probably increase his hits again next season.  But, he's just not a dman that's going to compete with Gudas for the league lead in hits.  And, he doesn't need to be that dman to help this team.

We'll agree to disagree  how about that

• Like 1

Sanheim's game really turned around in the second half of the season. He got to do what he does best - skate and carry the puck. Under the Haktard era, defensemen weren't allowed to lead rushes and that hampered Sanheim because that was one of the best attributes of his game. Vigneault comes in and let his leash out a little more, but the skill still wasn't coming out. Yeo takes over and Sanheim stepped up his game in the second half.

Whoever the new coach is, hopefully they find a way to continue to exploit Travis's skating and puck handling ability. Let him run the power play. That was his bread and butter in junior hockey. Let him run it and let him lead rushes. Honestly, I watch Sanheim and the parallels in his game and Scott Niedermeyer's game are evident. Niedermeyer processed the game a little quicker and better than Sanheim, but that was because he also had Scott Stevens as a partner.

In terms of the draft, I honestly don't think the Flyers are picking 5th this year. I fully expect that they trade out of that spot and I could easily see them target a guy like Kevin Fiala. They're going full on franchise face changing this summer. This club is going to look very different this fall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Really do not want to see the contract that Chuck-in-charge would give a player like Fiala.  I like Fiala.  And, he had a great regular season, playing for a contract after Billy G gave him the one year deal.  But, his playoff performances leave a lot to be desired.  Maybe some will say that's why they should target him, since they won't be in the playoffs anyway.  But, imo, that's exactly why they shouldn't be targeting a player who will soon be 26, would be getting a contract from Chuck(overpaid), that this team would be stuck paying for 5 or 6 years.  They have enough of that.  Don't need anymore.

I don't want any part of the bidding for him.  Keep the 5th pick and take the BPA and build the organization.  Assuming you mean Chuck will trade the 5th for Fiala's rights?  Youth is what this team should be building with, not more players around 26 years old that Chuck will overpay.

So it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal...amirite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Uggh... 1

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Really do not want to see the contract that Chuck-in-charge would give a player like Fiala.  I like Fiala.  And, he had a great regular season, playing for a contract after Billy G gave him the one year deal.  But, his playoff performances leave a lot to be desired.  Maybe some will say that's why they should target him, since they won't be in the playoffs anyway.  But, imo, that's exactly why they shouldn't be targeting a player who will soon be 26, would be getting a contract from Chuck(overpaid), that this team would be stuck paying for 5 or 6 years.  They have enough of that.  Don't need anymore.

I don't want any part of the bidding for him.  Keep the 5th pick and take the BPA and build the organization.  Assuming you mean Chuck will trade the 5th for Fiala's rights?  Youth is what this team should be building with, not more players around 26 years old that Chuck will overpay.

Here's why I think they'll move the pick. This draft is considered a 'decent' draft, but there are no 'game changers' this draft (and I hate when scouts say that because these drafts always surprise, but I digress). Schmuck is going for the quick fix and we all know that.  It's not just Schmuck that concerns me though. It's the Senior Advisors who all believe this club is just a retool, not a rebuild, from being competitive. If they make the pick, I'd hope it's Savoie, but I'm sure that they're going to go over Savoie's size as being a problem. Meanwhile, the guy they love (Isaac Howard's name has come up numerous times), is one inch taller than Savoie. The club is a complete wild card because nobody can get a feel for what they're going to do, but yeah, I fully expect that they'll shop the pick. It's a Clarke/Homer thing to do.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

So it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal...amirite?

Well he did squat in the playoffs, he checks that box and a former Minnesota player, that box checked as well.

So yeah all is left is to pack his bags...fly into town...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Wouldn't have any problem with Ike, if he's taken somewhere around 20-30.  But, not if that means trading the 5th for a guy like Fiala(which in and of itself is overpaying-and we all know Chuck will give more than just the 5th) when Savoie is available at 5.  Ike is a good player, with scoring talent and can skate.  But, he's just not the caliber that Savoie is.

I've already started my preference for Savoie. The problem is that the GM is Schmuck Felcher and you know he's going to swing for the fences in any trade. I'm certain that Clarke and Holmgren are also bipping in the background that one draft pick won't change the franchise's fortune and that he needs to be 'aggressive' in his retool. There's going to be no good that can come from that group. 

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone (Pods?) hear of Savoies injury in game 2? He didn't play again the rest of the series...if it's a concussion it isn't his first and puts a big ? on his draft status.

Ugh ….

54 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Anyone (Pods?) hear of Savoies injury in game 2? He didn't play again the rest of the series...if it's a concussion it isn't his first and puts a big ? on his draft status.

It's lower body. It wasn't stated exactly, but it looked to be his knee. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 8:14 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Sanheim's game really turned around in the second half of the season. He got to do what he does best - skate and carry the puck. Under the Haktard era, defensemen weren't allowed to lead rushes and that hampered Sanheim because that was one of the best attributes of his game. Vigneault comes in and let his leash out a little more, but the skill still wasn't coming out. Yeo takes over and Sanheim stepped up his game in the second half.

Whoever the new coach is, hopefully they find a way to continue to exploit Travis's skating and puck handling ability. Let him run the power play. That was his bread and butter in junior hockey. Let him run it and let him lead rushes. Honestly, I watch Sanheim and the parallels in his game and Scott Niedermeyer's game are evident. Niedermeyer processed the game a little quicker and better than Sanheim, but that was because he also had Scott Stevens as a partner.

In terms of the draft, I honestly don't think the Flyers are picking 5th this year. I fully expect that they trade out of that spot and I could easily see them target a guy like Kevin Fiala. They're going full on franchise face changing this summer. This club is going to look very different 

He does carry  the puck out well ill give him that but his play in front of his own net and along the boards is very very weak 

There are 3 players that the Flyers should concentrate on at the #5 position or they should trade down to receive a 2nd round selection.  One is Matthew Savoie and it is obvious what he is capable of adding to the team, but he has slipped a bit in the draft because of his size. He is only 5'9", but many smaller players have become terrific players at the NHL level and he has a fantastic hockey IQ and plays the game well with his teammates. 

Then there are the two top defencemen in Nemac and Jiricek. Both RHD , but Jiricek is bigger . Both these players could help in the long run. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

There's no way that "Nemec" should fall below the 3rd pick.  Hopefully, Fitzgerald makes the mistake and selects Slafkovsky with their pick.  But, that should only mean Nemec falls to 4.  If he's there at 5, Fletcher should ABSOLUTELY select him, even if Savoie is still there.

Jiricek couldn't even stay in Czechia's lineup at the worlds, which is certainly not a stellar group of dmen that's hard to crack.  He was a healthy scratch after only playing in 4 games, and 1 minute in his 5th game.  He should ABSOLUTELY NOT be selected anywhere close to 5.

From the sound of it, Savoie was just hit with the puck on his knee.  Apparently, he doesn't have any permanent damage because of it.  Just swelling.  If Nemec isn't at 5, and Savoie is, he should definitely be their pick.

One of the main reasons he missed out on the Juniors Worlds was he suffered a knee injury. Jiricek if the Flyers was a big very good skater who has abover average offensive skills he is definitely worth a look. 

I think the Flyers first choice should be Savoie, but do not overlook Jiricek at all. 

10 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Not talking about the World Juniors or his knee injury.  Talking about these recent Worlds, where he was on the roster.  He was healthy scratched in their final few games.  And, if you watched his play in the games he did play there, you would not believe he should be selected ANYWHERE CLOSE to 5.  He should absolutely be overlooked at 5 and not selected there.

Regardless, I really feel it comes down to those 3 players for the Flyers to choose and unless they trade down to acquire a 2nd round selection one of those 3 players are most likely going to be in the organization in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, radoran said:

If they can trade the 5 this year for a lower 1 and a 1&2 next year in what is supposed to be a deeper draft:

* Is it a good idea?

* Is it a good deal?

I think I take my #5 pick. The Flyers will have another top 7 pick next year, as well, so...

Honestly, your proposal is very tempting and worth pausing at, but I think I stick with the pick.

Sadly, the Flyers probably trade it with a Konecny or a Provorov for an older player like Scheifele or someone ridiculous with a terrible contact.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Sadly, the Flyers probably trade it with a Konecny or a Provorov for an older player like Scheifele or someone ridiculous with a terrible contact.

yeah, for some Maxime Ouellet type BS 🤬   

(guess i still have some pent up frustration to release lol)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

If the Flyers trade 5 and Provorov/ Konecny, I hope it's more than just Scheifle that comes in return. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Cutter Gauthier

What do you know about him?

I know he has some size, and I thought I saw,  'he's a sleeper" somewhere.

I also thought I saw questions about his compete level. 

That never bodes well.