2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I just don't know if the Flyers need yet ANOTHER two way forward though. They really need an offensive dynamo, but I'm just not sure that this club knows what to do with offensively gifted players. That's the dilemma I have with the Flyers. 

I always appreciate your opinions especially on prospects. 

A few follow ups.

Is that offensive dynamo player available @ 5?

Do you think Savoie is that guy?

I mean, it sounds like Cutter is a player any team could use. 

Does the player you seek show up in '23 ?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I always appreciate your opinions especially on prospects. 

A few follow ups.

Is that offensive dynamo player available @ 5?

Do you think Savoie is that guy?

I mean, it sounds like Cutter is a player any team could use. 

Does the player you seek show up in '23 ?

I really like Savoie. To me, he's Kaprizov-lite. I think he can be an offensive dynamo BUT it depends on what team he goes to. For instance, if he goes to a team that allows him to free wheel a bit, he'll hit his offensive mark. However, if he goes to a team that plays a tough defensive game, they'll coach the offensive skill out of him. 

As for Cutter, you're right - he's the kind of player every team wants because he plays a 200 for game. I know he compares favorably to Kreider, but he seems more like a Timo Meier type of player. So yes, Gauthier's upside is high, but depending on the team, he could end up being a 40 point checker or a 70 point top six player. As for Savoie, he's a top six player. That's where you play him and as mentioned, he's Kaprizov-lite. At the very least, he's a David Pastrnak type of player. He's that dynamic. 

As for 2023, who knows what that's going to bring, especially with Schmuck at the helm. Everything he touches turns to crap and he and Dave Scott think the team is close to contending. It's possible depending on what happens this offseason, he could possibly attach that pick to player to get cap space and try to sign a big name, similar to what Clarke and Holmgren have done. Honestly, my confidence in this franchise doing the right thing is incredibly low. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 2

I'm high on Savoie as well. Seen a few mock drafts where Savoie has dropped (8-12 range), and flyers picking either Jiricek or Cutter. Really curious to see what the Flyers will do here. Tough to predict.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

From the video and games that I've seen, I'll start with the physicals. He's definitely got size. He's also an excellent skater. Good on his edges and more important, has good one step acceleration. He's physical, but he's not stupid about his physicality. He won't hit just for the sake of hitting. 

In terms of skill, he's got an excellent shot. Whether it's slap shot, wrist shot or snap shot, they're all hard with good velocity, accuracy and are relatively low to the ground, so great for rebounds and tip ins.

I just don't know if the Flyers need yet ANOTHER two way forward though. They really need an offensive dynamo, but I'm just not sure that this club knows what to do with offensively gifted players. 

So based on past history it looks like we will draft Gauthier, we never pick a smaller dynamic offensive player or a guy with high end skill who might be defensively suspect.  Imagine if we took Makar and Caufiled, if nothing else we have have a much more exciting team. York and Brink will probably be good, but Caufield will probably be an offensive catalyst,  we already know Makar is incredible. 

With the Colorado Avalanche not selecting til the 3rd round, I will give my short and sweet opinion on who I think the Flyers should draft at the #5 position in this year's draft. That would be Matthew Savoie. The team needs someone who is a scorer and this guy seems to fit that mold. He also seems to have that smart hockey head on his shoulders. I think he is the right player for the Flyers. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Captain Lando said:

With the Colorado Avalanche not selecting til the 3rd round, I will give my short and sweet opinion on who I think the Flyers should draft at the #5 position in this year's draft. That would be Matthew Savoie. The team needs someone who is a scorer and this guy seems to fit that mold. He also seems to have that smart hockey head on his shoulders. I think he is the right player for the Flyers. 

I'd be very happy with that pick 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be very happy with that pick 

Me too….

I’ve been championing for this pick from the very beginning…..

I just don’t see the Flyers doing the right thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Me too….

The bolded. Exactly the bolded.

I'm concerned about Flyers and (size)-envy, but i remain hopeful because with York and Brink, Fletcher has shown a willingness to go with smaller players.  So, there's hope.

Ultimately, I'm okay with Kemmel, Nemec, Jiricek, or Gauthier. Possibly in that order, but fairly evenly.

But I'm almost certain they trade the pick for a 30-year old for their Magical Mystery Retool.

46 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Me too….

Pbbbbbbbt 🤪

I had nothing,  so I decided to act childish

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Ultimately, I'm okay with Kemmel, Nemec, Jiricek, or Gauthier. Possibly in that order, but fairly evenly.

You should be, after all, haven't you already tapped out?!:haha2:

On 6/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, RonJeremy said:

So based on past history it looks like we will draft Gauthier, we never pick a smaller dynamic offensive player or a guy with high end skill who might be defensively suspect.  Imagine if we took Makar and Caufiled, if nothing else we have have a much more exciting team. York and Brink will probably be good, but Caufield will probably be an offensive catalyst,  we already know Makar is incredible. 

Don't sell Brink short. He's a very good prospect as well. If the analytics group and Alyn McCauley can get a proper development program in place, the prospects should develop accordingly. 

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

You should be, after all, haven't you already tapped out?!:haha2:

Yeah, but it's kind of like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Plus it's one of those situations where you've completely stopped watching and even stopped looking at the box score (unless it affects fantasy hockey) but you still kind of think you have some idea what kind of player would help, if not immediately then later.

Like Bob Clarke does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That is 4 selections right there that you mentioned plus Savoie. The Flyers sit at #5 to draft. Then there is Shane Wright, Slavkovsky, and Cooley who will gone at that point. Do you really think the Flyers GM could really F### it up with all those talented possibilities available? 

Wait... maybe I don't want to hear the answer to that question. 😎

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

That is 4 selections right there that you mentioned plus Savoie. The Flyers sit at #5 to draft. Then there is Shane Wright, Slavkovsky, and Cooley who will gone at that point. Do you really think the Flyers GM could really F### it up with all those talented possibilities available? 

We f'd up when we were last in this position by picking the only lemon in the top 5, Nolan Patrick.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Lando said:

Do you really think the Flyers GM could really F### it up with all those talented possibilities available? 

I believe you answered your own question….

yes ….with this ownership anything is possible. 

yes … I have complete faith they will screw this up…..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's a very good prospect as well.

Speaking of prospects there is a dark horse no one i have saw speak of.

Jon-Randall Avon. Kid already has some good tools to work with and solid size.

Should be 19 next month still so a lot of room left in his development.

Kid has some good wheels too.

Just not sure they have the coach for the Phantoms to get these kids there.

Haven't seen much press on him so not sure if he isn't going back to juniors one more year yet.

His entry level contract could slide one more year if they so choose.

Not sure what their plan is with him since he is never discussed...but certainly gives them some center depth.

I think they discovered his team mate Brian Zanetti when they were scouting him.

Edited by OccamsRazor

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of prospects there is a dark horse no one i have saw speak of.

Jon-Randall Avon. Kid already has some good tools to work with and solid size.

Should be 19 next month still so a lot of room left in his development.

Kid has some good wheels too.

Just not sure they have the coach for the Phantoms to get these kids there.

Haven't seen much press on him so not sure if he isn't going back to juniors one more year yet.

His entry level contract could slide one more year if they so choose.

Not sure what their plan is with him since he is never discussed...but certainly gives them some center depth.

I think they discovered his team mate Brian Zanetti when they were scouting him.

I like Avon, but he's a bit of a mess defensively. He has a tendency to overthink his defensive assignments and you can see how he struggles through coverage. The good news though is that defense can be taught and his step dad was one hell of a good defensive player (Steve Larmer). Everything else skill wise is a bonus. He's got wheels, he's got good hands, he's got a good shot and funny enough, his hockey IQ on the offensive side of the game really shines. A team like London would be ideal for him to really learn the defensive side of the game and Dale Hunter has made a career out of turning these kids in London into defensively competent players when they hit the NHL. 

39 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I like Avon, but he's a bit of a mess defensively. He has a tendency to overthink his defensive assignments and you can see how he struggles through coverage. The good news though is that defense can be taught and his step dad was one hell of a good defensive player (Steve Larmer). Everything else skill wise is a bonus. He's got wheels, he's got good hands, he's got a good shot and funny enough, his hockey IQ on the offensive side of the game really shines. A team like London would be ideal for him to really learn the defensive side of the game and Dale Hunter has made a career out of turning these kids in London into defensively competent players when they hit the NHL. 

So are they leaning another year of junior for him I can see it maybe helping his game and well giving him more time to develop.

Whatever is best for him should be done.

There is plenty of time to join the Phantoms later.

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So are they leaning another year of junior for him I can see it maybe helping his game and well giving him more time to develop.

Whatever is best for him should be done.

There is plenty of time to join the Phantoms later.

I don't want Laperriere sinking his claws into him. He'll coach all the skill out of Avon. The Flyers need a real development coach in Lehigh Valley in the worst kind of way. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't want Laperriere sinking his claws into him. He'll coach all the skill out of Avon. The Flyers need a real development coach in Lehigh Valley in the worst kind of way. 

The Flyers misunderstood this. They thought they needed the players to develop the coach

I guess you could say Lappy is a "development coach", he just won't develop

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I'm still dreading trade.

For me it depends on for what...

#5 for an over 28 year old "star"- blech, no thanks. I agree.

But trading back to say 10 to 12, still picking Gauthier and adding 2nd in 23 ? Something like that appeals to me.

That is if Gauthier is their boy- that could be a trade I'd be interested in.

I don't have a lot of faith that something savvy like that can happen. But a fella can dream right?

If the Torts report comes to fruition, it could be that Savoie is St Louis 2.0 ? It will be interesting to see how much influence Fonzie would have at the draft.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

If the Torts report comes to fruition, it could be that Savoie is St Louis 2.0 ? It will be interesting to see how much influence Fonzie would have at the draft

he better have a lot.otherwise,why hire the guy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

he better have a lot.otherwise,why hire the guy?

Well Fonzie sure did help the Mud Dogs(Even if he wasn't Fonzie at the time) to win the Bourbon Bowl with the help of Bobby Boucher. Sure that was Football, but still if he is that good he certainly can transition to Hockey. 🤣

6e02200b6800d06118cf945692b30f78.jpg.fa6d4fa755586b81a50b93a7741626b5.jpg

Edited by Captain Lando

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

For me it depends on for what...

#5 for an over 28 year old "star"- blech, no thanks. I agree.

Flyers have contacted the Black Hawks about 24 year old DeBrincat so that would certainly push the needle in interest for myself if they were to move the pick.

Alex has one more year on his contract for 6.4 mill but i wonder what he is looking for per season to further explore this option??

But if you are going to move this pick it needs to be for a great player back.

But what else is it going to cost and would i still want to make a move??

For one i know the Hawks need a goalie so maybe they could package one of the many young goalies they have with a prospect or two...5th pick Fedotov and what else???

• Like 1