2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Damn you're old is that back Ina day when the puck was made of wood?

Asking for a friend.

To celebrate my birth, teh Flyers entered the league and the pth to the BSBs was set.

No thanks needed. I was happy t do it

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it sounds like it's pretty much a done deal...amirite?

If Matthew Savoie is still sitting on the board at #5 the Flyers better grab him. 

There are always surprises and disappointments when projecting 18 year olds into men. Let's cross our fingers chuckles gets it right.

Posted Images

2 well respected hockey contributors, Ryan Kennedy of 

The Hockey News, Craig Button at TSN both mocked David Jiricek to the Flyers at #5. Savoie at 7 and 9 on their boards.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

November 1967....i was born

you got me by 2 years .....I was born July 1969 .......

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

you got me by 2 years .....I was born July 1969 .......

in grand Flyer tradition, youre 2 years away

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I would be fine with Nemec also @ 5.

He projects as top pair RHD...Not a lot of those in the system. With the timing of his development maybe he's a good hedge vs Ellis' health continuing to fade.

You can never have too many dmen. 

Maybe the high-end player comes via trade or FA signing this year.

Good one! 

My thought would be to maybe trade back into the teens take a guy with great skating and high upside potential like Frank Nazar and seeing if an extra 1st in '23 or a second in '22 or 23 can be added.

You don't like Savoies size, so you want to trade back for a guy thats...Savoies size? 

Savoie feels like a consolation prize to me.  

I have only just read a few scouting reports on him, the things I don't like are his size and projected NHL average speed (even though he is an above average skater) I want speed and explosiveness.

Not sure where you're scouting report comes from...Savoie has speed. And explosiveness. He's also one of the most dynamic players in this draft. Probably the best at controlling the puck at high speed. An NHL calibre wrister. Plays with an edge. Non stop motor. I'm not saying he will be, but if he ends up the best player in this draft I won't be shocked.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

thanks for the reminder on Slavofsky- Braden Schenn became the best player not in the NHL based on a heater he went on in a world's competition, it's not like he's a bad player (he's fine) but he never became that #1 centerman, perennial all-star that some had thought. Schenn definitely benefited from that notoriety well into his pro career, could be the big Finn has a similar trajectory.

• Like 2

@mojo1917

You don't like Savoie's size? Well he is pretty much the same size as his brother who played on the dame line as Brink and is suppose to be better than him.

I would love his brother at 5.

Posted (edited)

Absolutely no issue with Savoie's size with the game he brings with that size.  Certainly not a "consolation prize".  Lmao...Crazy comment...

His speed, ability with the puck on his stick while using that speed, ability to finish, and his constant work ethic and feet continuously moving are ALL things that this team BADLY needs.  And they badly need that work ethic to be an infection that goes up and down the entire bench.

Edited by FireDillabaugh
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Absolutely no issue with Savoie's size with the game he brings with that size.  Certainly not a "consolation prize".  Lmao...Crazy comment...

His speed, ability with the puck on his stick while using that speed, ability to finish, and his constant work ethic and feet continuously moving are ALL things that this team BADLY needs.  And they badly need that work ethic to be an infection that goes up and down the entire bench.

Exactly why I expect him to be sitting there at 5 and Chuckles will piss us all off and try to get cute and go off the board I just know it.

Happy to be wrong...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure where you're scouting report comes from...Savoie has speed. And explosiveness. He's also one of the most dynamic players in this draft. Probably the best at controlling the puck at high speed. An NHL calibre wrister. Plays with an edge. Non stop motor. I'm not saying he will be, but if he ends up the best

I was reading Corey Pronman who lists his skating as above average but made a point to mention he didn't see explosiveness thought maybe he couldn't find space vs NHL defenseman. 

Seemed like an important add.

He could have just said he is a good skater.

I would want Cooley. 

He's not going to be there though.

Nazar is blindingly fast. 

If it nets another asset... the team needs more than one fast kid with skill.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I was reading Corey Pronman who lists his skating as above average but made a point to mention he didn't see explosiveness thought maybe he couldn't find space vs NHL defenseman. 

Seemed like an important add.

He could have just said he is a good skater.

I would want Cooley. 

He's not going to be there though.

Nazar is blindingly fast. 

If it nets another asset... the team needs more than one fast kid with skill.

Well Savoie is rated top 5 by a few people, top 10 by everyone basically. As for his skating, he won 4 of the 8 skating competitions in the WHL.

Morreale -- Matthew Savoie: One of the most dynamic skaters in this draft class, 

Kimelman -- Matt Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL):  speedy, skilled young forwards with Savoie (5-9, 175), who might be the fastest skater in the 2022 draft class. He has an explosive offensive game and a high hockey IQ that allows him to be in the right place all the time.

Philadelphia Flyers: Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

There's no denying Savoie's goal-scoring ability. His speed/shot combination makes him dangerous whenever he's in the offensive zone. 

Savoie (5-10) does not have classic No. 1 center size, but he has a game-changer’s speed and skill set along with an NHL shot. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, too, 

Comparing the three, Savoie might be the most offensively gifted with his speed, silky smooth hands and premier playmaking abilities. 

It sounds like Pronman hasn't actually seen Savoie skate.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1
50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Pronman use to be affiliated with ESPN???

Say no more they don't know shat aboot hockey...

:VeryCool:

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Only 2 well known rankings(Pronman is certainly not one of them) have Savoie lower than 5.

Eliteprospects.com have him at 10.  And, if you look at their top 32, you can see some ridiculous rankings, like Jiricek(2) over Nemec(3).  Nazar at 4(laughable).  Cooley at 5.  Mintyukov at 7.  Mateychuk at 8.

And Button has him at 17(absolutely ridiculous).  And his top 32 has things like Kemell at 3.  Gauthier at 7.  Snuggerud at 8(also laughable).  Lekkerimaki at 9.  Mintyukov at 10.  And his craziness just goes on and on in his 32.

Edited by FireDillabaugh
On 5/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly why I expect him to be sitting there at 5 and Chuckles will piss us all off and try to get cute and go off the board I just know it.

Happy to be wrong...

You just know that Fletcher will find a way to **** it up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 5/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, flyercanuck said:

See this is interesting, because of the fact he went out of his way to add the line, it made me think that he had seen him skate and was adding his thoughts to the general consensus.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

You just know that Fletcher will find a way to **** it up.

No we don't.

I've heard the man say too many times that team lacks high end talent.

I don't see where getting a top 5 pick is something he's going to take lightly, and not bring as many assets to bear on it as possible. 

There should be a good hockey player available at #5.  I expect the Flyers to pick one and for that player to make in strong impact in a few years.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

it made me think that he had seen him skate

So what you're confirming is yes it worked - since you thought that but i don't trust this talking head.

He is about as reliable as a Mel Kiper who also works for ESPN...or Todd Mcshay always talking out their asses...they get close but never predict anything useful....it is why they never really boast afterward how "correct" they were.

All i know is i want the Flyer to take a guy they need and Savoie checks those boxes the only real knock on him can be hi size.

Brad Marchand stands a whopping 5-9....and before anyone ats at me i am not saying this kid is going to be this type of player just that 5-9 guys can play in this league....Jared Spurgeon and Cole Caulfield guys do it more often that people think.

I'd love to have this kid....then if you want you could call the Oilers about acquiring his brother even who already has chemistry with Brink. Never been a big believer in having to have brothers on the same team but these brothers i would sign off on.

But the Oilers would need something nice in return....question is what? Any way that is neither here nor there right now draft Savoie....that is all i'm out.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

are any of these guys immediately ready to play at the NHL level?

I wish I could honestly answer this but if it is Savoie I would give him another year or two.

Camp always sheds light on this.

But I lean more towards more time developing unless they blow the doors off.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish I could honestly answer this but if it is Savoie I would give him another year or two.

Camp always sheds light on this.

But I lean more towards more time developing unless they blow the doors off.

But #thewaythey'vealwaysdoneit is to rush the player into the NHL as soon as possible because he's going to be the greatest player ever in the history of hockey until he's a #disappointment because he's only a consistent 20/50 player.

It's the way they've always done it.

No reason to stop now.

The results speak for themselves.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, radoran said:

But #thewaythey'vealwaysdoneit is to rush the player into the NHL as soon as possible because he's going to be the greatest player ever in the history of hockey until he's a #disappointment because he's only a consistent 20/50 player.

It's the way they've always done it.

No reason to stop now.

The results speak for themselves.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I know. I know. But I am hoping they will try something new.

But I will not hold my breathe on it because well I want to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, CoachX said:

are any of these guys immediately ready to play at the NHL level?

We don't need the guy who's ready to play in the NHL...we need the best player available when our pick comes.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

No we don't.

I've heard the man say too many times that team lacks high end talent.

I don't see where getting a top 5 pick is something he's going to take lightly, and not bring as many assets to bear on it as possible. 

There should be a good hockey player available at #5.  I expect the Flyers to pick one and for that player to make in strong impact in a few years.

Yes there should be a good hockey player available at #5 but I don't have as much confidence in Fletcher as you do that he won't **** things up.

• Like 2