To Boo or not to BOOOOOO

Guest Irishjim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is a good idea to support a player through rough times, but when the effort is not there it is something that they can control and something that they should be ashamed of. I don't support them through lazy unfocused play (I support them in that I continue to pull for them, but I don't quietly wait patiently) but I will support though slumps and poor play as long as the effort is visible.

GP W L T OT SO GA SA Sv% GAA Min

NHL Totals 608 296 214 69 0 23 1,723 16,360 .895 2.98 34,746

Ron Hextall

NHL Totals 367 177 127 0 41 25 898 10,423 .914 2.56 21,016

Ilya Bryzgalov

The HERO and the GOAT, very close numbers. The HERO has let me down so many times in the playoffs by his inopportune 75' let-ins that even Leighton might have been able to stop. Yes, the GOAT is in a funk now but let's see how he does in the playoffs before we let him have it with the BOOs, if warranted..

Just my 2 cents.

The only thing that I will boo is a lack of effort.

If I don't think that a player or team is giving their max effort (and that includes not being in the game mentally), then I will boo.

I don't just boo the result. (In other words, every loss or every goal scored by the other team isn't necessarily someone's "fault.")

On the other hand, I don't just cheer like I'm at a T-ball game if my team is playing poorly either.

If they want me to cheer (which I am most happy to do), they have to give me a reason - effort!

The only thing that I will boo is a lack of effort.

If I don't think that a player or team is giving their max effort (and that includes not being in the game mentally), then I will boo.

I don't just boo the result. (In other words, every loss or every goal scored by the other team isn't necessarily someone's "fault.")

On the other hand, I don't just cheer like I'm at a T-ball game if my team is playing poorly either.

If they want me to cheer (which I am most happy to do), they have to give me a reason - effort!

Very well said Andy! I boo for poor effort too, but I also boo stupidity and consistent poor play.

If people want to boo lack of effort, etc., I think that's well within their right as a paying customer. You go to a restaurant and the food/service is crap, you let the server or manager know. You could use barber, mechanic, plumber, whatever as more examples. The paying customer has a right to let the provider know if his product/server doesn't meet requirements and/or expectations. I guarantee you that the server, manager, barber, mechanic, plumber, etc., don't make nearly the money that a pro-athlete does. How many times have we conveniently been told by players and front office people that "this is a business." That's right. They're not idols or whatever. They represent a company; a business.

The difference is at a game, you don't have the opportunity to speak directly to the person providing the lousy product or service. All you have left to express your displeasure is to boo. So if, as a paying customer to that business, the goalie or whomever is producing a lousy product, you let them know it. Is booing rude? I don't think so. Maybe at a funeral or a wedding or somethng, but not at a sporting event. It's a business. You tell them when they are doing well, by cheering; you tell them when they are doing poorly, by booing.

What's the issue here? Does it HELP the person or persons on the receiving end? It doesn't have to, but it can. Does it help to tell your server that your food was bland or cold or whatever? Or that the service was slow? It doesn't have to. The server can get pissy or spit in your food or whatever. Or they can try to make it right. Maybe it doesn't help your visit but it's improved for another time. If a player wants to internalize it and respond with "oh, woe is me. They booed." Well, screw them. Or, if they want to go back to practice and say "damn, I sucked. I was too busy thinking about my dog" and work harder or smarter or whatever. Great. The booing is an attempt to express displeasure with the product. What that product/service provider does with that information is up to them. What they do with that information says more about their character than it does about the effect or ineffect of booing.

This is, after all, a business, and these people are not only supposed to be professionals, they're getting paid quite well.

NHL Totals 608 296 214 69 0 23 1,723 16,360 .895 2.98 34,746

Ron Hextall

NHL Totals 367 177 127 0 41 25 898 10,423 .914 2.56 21,016

Ilya Bryzgalov

The HERO and the GOAT, very close numbers. The HERO has let me down so many times in the playoffs by his inopportune 75' let-ins that even Leighton might have been able to stop. Yes, the GOAT is in a funk now but let's see how he does in the playoffs before we let him have it with the BOOs, if warranted..

Just my 2 cents.

hard to compare the two era's. hextall was tending mostly in the 80's - 90's. scoring was way up back then. he was dealing with a little guy named gretzky as well. just sayin..

If people want to boo lack of effort, etc., I think that's well within their right as a paying customer. You go to a restaurant and the food/service is crap, you let the server or manager know. You could use barber, mechanic, plumber, whatever as more examples. The paying customer has a right to let the provider know if his product/server doesn't meet requirements and/or expectations. I guarantee you that the server, manager, barber, mechanic, plumber, etc., don't make nearly the money that a pro-athlete does. How many times have we conveniently been told by players and front office people that "this is a business." That's right. They're not idols or whatever. They represent a company; a business.

The difference is at a game, you don't have the opportunity to speak directly to the person providing the lousy product or service. All you have left to express your displeasure is to boo. So if, as a paying customer to that business, the goalie or whomever is producing a lousy product, you let them know it. Is booing rude? I don't think so. Maybe at a funeral or a wedding or somethng, but not at a sporting event. It's a business. You tell them when they are doing well, by cheering; you tell them when they are doing poorly, by booing.

What's the issue here? Does it HELP the person or persons on the receiving end? It doesn't have to, but it can. Does it help to tell your server that your food was bland or cold or whatever? Or that the service was slow? It doesn't have to. The server can get pissy or spit in your food or whatever. Or they can try to make it right. Maybe it doesn't help your visit but it's improved for another time. If a player wants to internalize it and respond with "oh, woe is me. They booed." Well, screw them. Or, if they want to go back to practice and say "damn, I sucked. I was too busy thinking about my dog" and work harder or smarter or whatever. Great. The booing is an attempt to express displeasure with the product. What that product/service provider does with that information is up to them. What they do with that information says more about their character than it does about the effect or ineffect of booing.

This is, after all, a business, and these people are not only supposed to be professionals, they're getting paid quite well.

exactly rux. how many excuses are we supposed to just sit back and accept. bryz has given us everything in the book and then some. 'oh i just made a stupid mistake and whiffed with my glove...' etc etc. how does that fly in the 'real world'? how many times can you tell your boss.. oh sorry... just forgot to do my TPS reports. stupid mistake. maybe i'll forget less and less as time goes bye.

hard to compare the two era's. hextall was tending mostly in the 80's - 90's. scoring was way up back then. he was dealing with a little guy named gretzky as well. just sayin..

Hextall in the 80's was awesome.

In the 90's he *always* seemed to let in a weak goal to sink the team in the playoffs. Just brutal.

Leighton was more than solid for the most part until the Finals. That last goal was just brutal. Maybe the worst Cup-winning goal in NHL history.

At this point, I'd honestly be in favor of calling Leights up to give him a shot. See if he can stabilize things in net.

I like this, but there was no "like" button...

Leighton was more than solid for the most part until the Finals. That last goal was just brutal. Maybe the worst Cup-winning goal in NHL history.

At this point, I'd honestly be in favor of calling Leights up to give him a shot. See if he can stabilize things in net.

No. NONONONONONONONONO. Absolsmurfly not. NO.

I don't want to see Mr. Softee anywhere NEAR the Flyers' crease.

Plus, I believe he would have to pass through waivers and there's a chance some other team might not pick him.

Just to be clear : no.

No. NONONONONONONONONO. Absolsmurfly not. NO.

I don't want to see Mr. Softee anywhere NEAR the Flyers' crease.

Plus, I believe he would have to pass through waivers and there's a chance some other team might not pick him.

Just to be clear : no.

Could he possibly be worse than Bryz? I think not.

Could he possibly be worse than Bryz? I think not.

If Leighton never plays another game in orange and black it will be too soon.

Yet another no good, very bad, terrible goalie signing by Homer.

Just my opinion... Your mileage may vary...

Regarding signing Leighton, he misrepresented his health, and never actually recovered. I don't actually fault Homer for that one, Leighton and his agent lied.

Why was it "necessary" to sign a journeyman waiverwire rider to a two year contract?

Leighton should have gotten an invite to camp, not a two year deal.