Is there any chance to move Bryz by the deadline?

Guest Phillygrump

Any chance anyone would take that contract off our hands so we could pick up a cheap Giguere and try to make a run?

I'd pick up a cheap Nabokov before Giguere, but I think moving Bryz is a pipe dream without givin up significant assets as well.

Any chance anyone would take that contract off our hands so we could pick up a cheap Giguere and try to make a run?

None whatsoever. Guy has a nine year contract and plays like a shrinking violet. I want to like Bryz but he makes it nearly impossible

@Phillygrump

The Rangers somehow managed to not only dump Gomez' horrible contract, but to actually acquire a decent prospect in doing so.

They took on Higgins, who is on his fourth NHL team since the trade (6 goals in 55 games for the Rags). They took Doug Janik, who never played a game for the Rags. They took Ryan McDonaugh, who is a work in progress.

McDonagh was a #12 overall, and may turn into something more than the 31 points in 97 career games he's put up.

Montreal also had the shot of "reuniting" Gomez with Gionta.

But Gomez' doesn't seem too bad compared to Bryzgalovs.

Gomez is making $7.357M, was signed as a 7-year, $51M (interesting...) contract and still goes through 14-15. He went an entire YEAR without scoring a goal.

I can't even IMAGINE what you would be saying about Gomez if the Flyers had signed him instead of Briere... ;-)

The Rangers somehow managed to not only dump Gomez' horrible contract

that move should give anyone with a bad contract hope that *someone* might figure they can fix the player. i think a major difference is the positions they play, though. the worst gomez was going to do was not help his team. the worst bryzgalov can do is actively lose games for his team. you can tuck an underperforming forward on a 4th line and accept 10 minutes of nothing every night...but an underperforming goalie gives you "L"'s. i can't see anyone trading for bryzgalov as he is currently playing, even if the flyers agreed to take equal cap hit back.

@radoran

The fact they got McDonaugh (who looked pretty good when I saw him play, not great, but good) to me was a joke. The gm in Montreal should be ashamed of himself. 2014/5 sure seems like days away compared to 2020. And yes, I would have freaked if Homer would have traded for Gomez. Heck, I freaked when he signed Briere.

@radoran

The fact they got McDonaugh (who looked pretty good when I saw him play, not great, but good) to me was a joke. The gm in Montreal should be ashamed of himself. 2014/5 sure seems like days away compared to 2020. And yes, I would have freaked if Homer would have traded for Gomez. Heck, I freaked when he signed Briere.

Right, but the Habs picked up five years of Gomez when they got him. He played two whole seasons in New York.

The Habs really thought putting him back with Gionta would work wonders and reignite that potent Devil offense we remember so well.

I didn't mean *trade* for Gomez, but if he was signed here "instead of Briere" and was costing $7.3M while going a whole year without a goal and still had three more seasons on the contract...

I would love to see if Giggy could man up for one more playoff run.

Heck, pick him up anyway - stick Sievegolav on LTIR.

He's not a leper and not a carrier of bubonic plague. Other than that, he's got every kind of baggage you wouldn't want: wilts under pressure, dressing room distraction, shattered confidence, huge long term contract, horrendous fundamentals. These are his good points. He's not tradable.

He's not a leper and not a carrier of bubonic plague. Other than that, he's got every kind of baggage you wouldn't want: wilts under pressure, dressing room distraction, shattered confidence, huge long term contract, horrendous fundamentals. These are his good points. He's not tradable.

seriously, though... as bad as we think he is... and oh do we... someone could very possibly see him as a reclamation project. a guy like howson CBJ could possibly think he might fare better in a smaller market. he might also not care so much about the cap hit as they are pushing it to get to the cap min most years. with bryz contract structure... it goes down from here. that could be a factor for a small market team that's not concerned about cap hit so much... and desperately needs a goalie.