Game 77: Flyers at Maple Leafs; 4/19/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Florida have 9 of their 15 forwards who played junior hockey in the CHL. They can all bring some snarl if necessary, even CG. Just ask Cindy. They learned last year against Tampa the playoffs are heavy hockey.  Their big guys can all play.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lmfao...  13 sentences is a "book-length" reply?  Too funny!!  So, you're saying you only read children's books?  Now I see why you thought my 2 paragraph reply was an "essay" and TL;DR for you.  Such a sad world we live in these days...

It is SOLELY on them.  Mac is a dime a dozen NHL player.  He can't finish.  He finds himself in a quality scoring position once or maybe twice a game, and is incapable of finishing those chances time and time again.  He doesn't carry the puck very well.  He doesn't fight especially well.  His contact game doesn't play a big role or contribute much.  He doesn't skate well enough to be a forechecking pest.  He doesn't pass the puck very well, and has trouble seeing and identifying his options when the puck is on his stick because his head must be down watching the puck in order to keep it on his stick.  And he is often out of position when the defensemen are looking for their outlet on the wing.  Perhaps it's you who should actually watch the guy play.  Because you certainly aren't judging him objectively at all.  He's a player that can be replaced by SO MUCH other talent currently in the NHL that can contribute more.  And, what he does is brings Oskar's(who absolutely should not be on the 4th line) game down dramatically.

Yes, the FACT that the 4th line doesn't contribute to this team is SOLELY on them.  Just as every other line that can't contribute is SOLELY on them.  Blaming other lines and players because the 4th line can't produce points is simply ridiculous.  Enough said there...

I wouldn't really object to him coming back.  Simply because we all know Chuck can do MUCH, MUCH worse.  However(and it's a BIG however), the team could do MUCH, MUCH better with a fourth line NHL wing that can contribute to this team's main issue of being unable to finish plays, if they had a competent NHL GM and scouting squad.

His willingness to drop the gloves doesn't necessarily mean he's a good fighter.  The team still gets pushed around.  A LOT.  What this team needs is a 4th line winger that will contribute.  And if that player can "defend teammates" from time to time, it's a bonus.  But, Mac just doesn't have the skills to contribute.  And, it only hurts his linemates and this team in the end.  No matter how few minutes he plays a game.

Again, he's a dime a dozen NHL player.  And, replacing him with something that can help the team more often shouldn't be difficult for a competent NHL GM and scouting squad.  However, since we have Chuck instead, Mac will probably be back again next year, unfortunately.

If we can find a better guy to fill that role , I'm all for it. I also said we needed more big skilled guys on the wing. If you remember in the playoffs the Isles not only skated circles around us but hammered us and won every battle on the boards, so I know one guy on the fourth line isn't gonna help that much.  Mac has won at least half his fights and thats alot better than having Farabee and Laughton fighting. Having  Mac was still better than having no one to protect the team. We went a few years without one fighter once Simmonds was gone . 

15 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Eh...  That's certainly debatable.  But, still not the point.  Even if he won all of his fights.

This isn't the NHL of the '70s.  You simply can't afford to have a player who fights but can't contribute points or play the other aspects of the game very well.  As I said, he's a player that's easy to replace and improve upon.  But, that takes a competent GM and staff.  I'm all for having a guy that is willing to drop his gloves.  But, ONLY if it's a player that contributes in other ways and can actually finish a play from time to time.  I don't dislike Mac.  But he just isn't that player, and has many flaws in his game, as he's shown.

We need a guy like the Tkachuck brothers, guys who can play, take the body, agitate and fight when they have to. It took over 10 years for us to finally draft a few snipers which we needed forever, 40 years to draft a good goalie, the quick retool is coming together.

1 minute ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Once again, Jones can't play in the 2nd period.  Once again, a goal is given up in the first two minutes of a period.  Once again, Jones is no where near being in proper position to challenge a point shot, from a player with 4 career goals, and is easily beaten on his short side/glove hand.

Once again, Jones shows his lazy technique, sliding to the far post with his lazy glove hand down on his pad instead of high where it should be if he belonged in the NHL.  Of course, the goal is blown over his lazy glove.

Once again, this goaltending gives up another goal in the last two minutes of a period, eaten alive as if he had absolutely no idea that Spezza was on his far post, when he had just made the pass to Giordano.

Once again, another fine .850% performance.  Same crap, new 2nd period.

Sandstrom needs to play the next game i want to see him he can settle and just play a little better i do not want Jones back at all.

Tank GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yandle and JVR...

Dr Evil Austin Powers GIF - Dr Evil Austin Powers Laugh - Discover & Share  GIFs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I don't think it will take much effort to tank. We will close out via losses.

They were only one point behind Kraken now with two games in hand. I think they can keep sucking for now they have been consistent with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess Attard's score was our highlight. 

Watching these losses is numbing.  It is hard to engage. I don't think this was a lack of effort.  The second period cave-ins and terrible power plays are ongoing reminders of how bad we've gotten.  I feel badly for the youngins and hope they don't get used to losing. 

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 2