Game 77: Flyers at Maple Leafs; 4/19/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

AccuScore assigns an 83 percent win probability to the Leafs, who seldom lose to a sub-.500 team.  In a season marked my injuries and embarrassment, there is something that combines tragedy and gallows humor:  The Flyers trainers are suing Comcast for health reasons related to emissions from the Zamboni.  

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/04/flyers-trainers-sue-comcast-others-after-cancer-diagnoses-allegedly-resulting-from-zamboni-chemicals-in-voorhees-practice-facility.html

This season is spiraling into a really dark place.

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope he drops them with the Ironman and beats him into tomorrow.

MacEwen suffered a concussion trying Simmer last time. Wonder if he’s looking for a rematch?

Edited by Samifan

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

21-2 Leafs. 

JVR and Haysee with one each show those contracts are valid!

so be it, as long as Yandle is on the ice for at least half of the 21! 😂

Cmon -50!

11 hours ago, Samifan said:

so be it, as long as Yandle is on the ice for at least half of the 21! 😂

Cmon -50!

Yandle can bring his -41, JVR his -34, TK his -19, and Brown -16 and well the Flyers don't even stand a chance...-110 holy smokes that is bad.

Some good news Seattle beat Senators last night...so there is hope.

But team they have left. Avs, Wild, Stars, Canucks, Kings and Sharks.

Flyers have left. Leafs, Canadians, Penguins, Blackhawks, Jets and Senators.

I would love for the Flyers to slide into the 3rd spot but....

FQqazY0WYAUge9k.jpg.09c39a0e1689b532ac30685402106618.jpg

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope he needs to try to redeem himself.

Otherwise WTF is he here for?

Hey c’mon leave Big Mac alone! Lol, seriously he’s my favorite player in the O&B this year. The guy goes all out 100% every shift, finishes every check. That alone is worth having him on this roster. The best thing about him is that his line has a lot of success doing exactly what a 4th line should do: pressure the puck, get control and forecheck like demons possessed. 

If he’s gone after this year it won’t be a great loss but NHL teams still need guys like him (at least one) not only to intimidate and fight but to remind his teammates what effort and hard work look like. Unfortunately it seems the Flyers don’t value guys like MacEwen anymore but imho for $825K they could do a lot worse than re-signing him.

Imagine what if Ron Hextall would have taken Anthony Duclair instead of Tyrell Goulbourne....

...kid is 2nd on the Panthers behind Barkov (34) with 31 goals...yeah i know Flyers don't need any goal scorers and i guess we can just assume he would have never developed in Philly any way right?

Duclair is still only 26. Goulbourne hasn't even played in the NHL since 2018-19....sad.

• Good Post 2

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Hey c’mon leave Big Mac alone! Lol, seriously he’s my favorite player in the O&B this year. The guy goes all out 100% every shift, finishes every check. That alone is worth having him on this roster. The best thing about him is that his line has a lot of success doing exactly what a 4th line should do: pressure the puck, get control and forecheck like demons possessed. 

If he’s gone after this year it won’t be a great loss but NHL teams still need guys like him (at least one) not only to intimidate and fight but to remind his teammates what effort and hard work look like. Unfortunately it seems the Flyers don’t value guys like MacEwen anymore but imho for $825K they could do a lot worse than re-signing him.

So just ignore his 6th worst team -15 in only 9 minutes he is out there then what are we even doing here??

I thought the goal was for everyone to play better away from the puck too??

Awe fcuk it why bother right...another chair on the titanic...carry on. 

• Haha 1

edit: please forgive my book-length reply

Eh, the numbers. Nothing personal but I mostly dismiss the +/- numbers this year. They’re practically meaningless because unfortunately (like last year) the numbers can’t tell the true story. Sometimes they apply. Yandle’s huge minus comes to mind but only because it agrees with the eye test. But in general the plus/minus numbers are wildly deceptive this year, even more than usual.

Watch the guy play my friend! Seriously. He’s worth watching. Everyone knocks the Flyers this year and for good reason but Mac is one of the few, the only, who “bring it” every shift. 

He’ll rarely light the lamp but his energy and aggressiveness help open up the ice, pave the way so to speak, for the top of the roster to get going, to get on the board. That the 4th line’s good work hasn’t translated to more goals isn’t on them. 

Would you really object to re-signing MacEwen? Of all the spots that need upgrades and/or much better ROIs the 4th line is the least of them imho.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Imagine what if Ron Hextall would have taken Anthony Duclair instead of Tyrell Goulbourne....

...kid is 2nd on the Panthers behind Barkov (34) with 31 goals...yeah i know Flyers don't need any goal scorers and i guess we can just assume he would have never developed in Philly any way right?

Duclair is still only 26. Goulbourne hasn't even played in the NHL since 2018-19....sad.

What about Ryan Hartman with 30 goals, I guess we blew that one too.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

edit: please forgive my book-length reply

Eh, the numbers. Nothing personal but I mostly dismiss the +/- numbers this year. They’re practically meaningless because unfortunately (like last year) the numbers can’t tell the true story. Sometimes they apply. Yandle’s huge minus comes to mind but only because it agrees with the eye test. But in general the plus/minus numbers are wildly deceptive this year, even more than usual.

Watch the guy play my friend! Seriously. He’s worth watching. Everyone knocks the Flyers this year and for good reason but Mac is one of the few, the only, who “bring it” every shift. 

He’ll rarely light the lamp but his energy and aggressiveness help open up the ice, pave the way so to speak, for the top of the roster to get going, to get on the board. That the 4th line’s good work hasn’t translated to more goals isn’t on them. 

Would you really object to re-signing MacEwen? Of all the spots that need upgrades and/or much better ROIs the 4th line is the least of them imho.

I like McEwen and aside from our team sucking, we also got pushed around alot until McEwen came along. So we do need a guy who can defend his teammates. 

2 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

A team of ex Flyers would be in a playoff position right now, where anything can happen.

Yep even Aube Kubel scored 11 goals and 20 points and is a plus 13 for the Avs. He'd be a minus 50 on the Flyers. 

Greetings:

Here is the lineup:

Noah Cates-Kevin Hayes-Travis Konecny

James van Riemsdyk-Scott Laughton-Bobby Brink

Joel Farabee-Morgan Frost-Owen Tippett

Oskar Lindblom-Nate Thompson-Zack MacEwen

Defensemen

Ivan Provorov-Travis Sanheim

Egor Zamula-Kevin Connauton

Keith Yandle-Ronnie Attard

Goalies

Martin Jones

Felix Sandstrom

Jones gets the start.  This is our first game in Toronto since we were knocked out of the 2019-20 bubble by the Isles.  Mathews is out of the Leafs' lineup.  I am glad the youngins are getting a start.  Seeing Oskar on the fourth line hurts.  

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

What about Ryan Hartman with 30 goals, I guess we blew that one too.

Well he was only here for a cup of tea with Hakstol but really Scott Gordon was the coach by the time he got to Philly say no more talk about not knowing how to use talent.

But yeah last i checked he was on their top line and headed for the playoffs.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I like McEwen and aside from our team sucking, we also got pushed around alot until McEwen came along. So we do need a guy who can defend his teammates. 

Panthers have one and his name is Gudas about all they have. But yeah Philly feels like they have to have a goon.

I would keep Mac if they can coach him up but he needs to work on his game i'd be good with if they remove guys like Brown and Thompson.

No more wasted space on guys who don't have upside.

My lineup...

86 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier  - 11 Travis Konecny
91 Elliott Desnoyers - 48 Morgan Frost- 24 Bobby Brink
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 74 Owen Tippett
10 Noah Cates  - 22 Tanner Laczynski - 17 Wade Allison

9  Ivan Provorov - 94 Ryan Ellis
6 Travis Sanheim - 47 Ronnie Attard
44 Cam York - 42 Wyatt Wylie
54 Egor Zamula

79 Carter Hart
32 Felix Sandström

• Like 1