Looking in the wrong place for answers

Guest colorado_al

I'm thinking to myself.... ya know Bryz looks lost out there and if anything Bob has gone down hill a little.... could it be that the REAL problem is our goalie coach? Have no idea who he is...but I know we have one. Could it be that he takes world class goalies and young goalies with a future and turns them into crap? Cause crap is what we have. Just a thought.... maybe we're looking in the wrong place for answers.

Jeff reese he has been there for years. I personally don't know why they keep him around

Our previous goalie coach sucked.

Reese did pretty well with the not-so-special goalies that we had for the last few years (Boosh, Leighton, etc.). Reese ain't the problem. Not even close.

Our previous goalie coach sucked.

Reese did pretty well with the not-so-special goalies that we had for the last few years (Boosh, Leighton, etc.). Reese ain't the problem. Not even close.

How can you say that? Are our goalies playing out of their minds or do they both look lost out there.... you take a decent goalie and bring him to philly and he turns to ****.... how do you explain that... how can you prove it's not the goalie coach? I say let's put a little heat on Mr. Reese and see if he can fix things.... fix or get out of town.

I say let's put a little heat on Mr. Reese and see if he can fix things.... fix or get out of town.

you are WAY over estimating the effect a goalie coach can have at the NHL level. it's like blaming hartnell's skating problems on laviolette.

at this level, goalie coaches are reviewing tape, organizing drills, and at most tweaking technique. no drastic changes, for good or ill.

reese has been here less than 3 years. Lemelin was here over 10 years before that. If anything our goalies overachieved during the cup run, as well as bob's hot start as a rookie, would indicate he is a good coach. the whole team tanked down the stretch last year, and the bryzaster is sucking everything down this year.

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been thinking this for awhile. I got to watch Bryz a lot when he was in Phoenix and he was way calmer and smooth. What I mean by that is he used his size and cut down angles and rarely gave up rebounds. Now I see Smith in Phoenix and he looks exactly how Bryz use to. Now Bryz is all over the place. Way to much movement and making himself look way smaller in net. And Bob is the same way.

It is an even year so blame the goalie coach?

IDK I have seen this logic of the goalie issues quite a bit lately. I do think there can be something too having the right coach work with you. Just like at work having the right boss can make all the difference as well. I do think that Reese has not been here as long as Lemelin and knowing the improvements we saw from Leighton and Boucher he worked well at improving them. I guess we will have to wait and see.

So nobody here remembers how much we all complained about when Reggie was the Flyers' goalie coach? Sheesh.

I'll say it again - look what Reese did what Leighton. Anyone here think that Leighton is an all-star goalie?

The only problem is that Bryz is somehow channeling his inner Marty Biron (i.e. drops down too soon, doesn't hug the post when the puck is to the side of the net, lets in terribly weak goals) instead of playing big in the net & using his agility to his advantage.

Complaining about the goalie coach is like a Phillies fan complaining about Greg Gross not getting Ryan Howard to hit to the opposite field.

Problem is, Bryz thinks too highly of himself to take constructive criticism. After the all star break, he supposedly got some extra time in with Reese and he did play better. Then he got sick, and returned to his pumpkin form. So basically, he was temporarily humbled by his own wretched play, thought everything was fine, and continued to stink up the net.

Coaches can only improve players that want to improve. Bob wants to improve, and has drastically since day one. His development of late has halted due to not being the starter. We'll see how much longer Lavy puts up with Bryz.

• Like 1

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been thinking this for awhile. I got to watch Bryz a lot when he was in Phoenix and he was way calmer and smooth. What I mean by that is he used his size and cut down angles and rarely gave up rebounds. Now I see Smith in Phoenix and he looks exactly how Bryz use to. Now Bryz is all over the place. Way to much movement and making himself look way smaller in net. And Bob is the same way.

I agree, when I've seen Bryz playing well that's exactly what I saw. And the thing is, that's how Reese had Leighton playing the year the team went to the finals. Nothing fancy, just solid positioning and not giving rebounds. I don't understand why he can't get Bryz playing that way.

So nobody here remembers how much we all complained about when Reggie was the Flyers' goalie coach? Sheesh.

I'll say it again - look what Reese did what Leighton. Anyone here think that Leighton is an all-star goalie?

The only problem is that Bryz is somehow channeling his inner Marty Biron (i.e. drops down too soon, doesn't hug the post when the puck is to the side of the net, lets in terribly weak goals) instead of playing big in the net & using his agility to his advantage.

Complaining about the goalie coach is like a Phillies fan complaining about Greg Gross not getting Ryan Howard to hit to the opposite field.

The problem is Bryzgalov thinks it's everybody else is to blame except him. He has zero confidence or maybe he just doesn't give a Sh!t and is just collecting his paycheque. Or maybe he's finding out what it truly feels like to play in a real hockey market where the fans and media actually give a Sh!t about the team unlike Phoenix. It's time for him to put up or shut up and earn his $10 million pay. And if he doesn't figure it out, hopefully there is one time buyout in the next cba that doesn't affect the team salary cap and Snider sucks it up and gets rid of this idiot. The only way he can redeem himself is to backstop the Flyers to a cup.

What was with Bryz's attempted glove save on that fourth goal he let in tonight??? Talk about awkward. I thought that had lost us the game right then and there. Maybe that's something Reese could work on - golve saves. Start with the basics and work up from there.

He just missed snagging it.

It happen forwards miss back check assignments. There human.

Bottom line mistakes in up in the back of their net.

No one is excluded.

When Reese came on board he had a pedigree, the winning goalie coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He helped his goalies out at that time. He was an improvement for the Team, saying that complacency can creep in if you don't stay sharp at your job.

Reese is a players coach. He protects his flock. He is working on things as we speak.

Don't shoot at the first sound you hear....It might not be a deer.

@colorado_al

i think you are wrong with your opinion, as other have stated reggie lemilen was the goalie coach until 3 years ago, once he was shown the door, leaky leighton, bad goal boucher and a cast of other misift goalies went to the sc finals. those guys did nothing before Reese began to work with them.

the goalie coach is not the problem, the goalie , that's the problem.... Ilya's got to nut up and fing concentrate for 60 minutes, until i see him do that, i don't care if Pat fing Riley is his coach it won't' matter.

It is an even year so blame the goalie coach?

IDK I have seen this logic of the goalie issues quite a bit lately. I do think there can be something too having the right coach work with you. Just like at work having the right boss can make all the difference as well. I do think that Reese has not been here as long as Lemelin and knowing the improvements we saw from Leighton and Boucher he worked well at improving them. I guess we will have to wait and see.

It's great to see you here, Lady!

Look at how good Bob was when he first started.... look at him now.... hummmmm

If Goalies get better during their stay with the flyers... I'd say it could be good coaching..

Well if Goalies go down hill after being with the Flyers... what logical answer would you give.

I'd say give the goalie coach a serious look.... if something starts to stink there could be a dead fish laying around :)

Look at how good Bob was when he first started.... look at him now.... hummmmm

If Goalies get better during their stay with the flyers... I'd say it could be good coaching..

Well if Goalies go down hill after being with the Flyers... what logical answer would you give.

I'd say give the goalie coach a serious look.... if something starts to stink there could be a dead fish laying around :)

Bob isn't getting the starts he got last year. Goalies do need consistency and starts to perform/maintain/improve. Bob started 52 games last season, and 20 this season so far (on pace for 28 rounding up). Roughly half. That lack of game action is why Bob has struggled, but even then, I'd say Bob has improved notably game in a few areas.

It isn't Lavy's system, it isn't Bobrovsky, and it isn't the goalie coach. Bryzgalov totally ******* sucks, and Snider's pride / Bryz's contract are throwing this team and its fans under the bus. Bryz never won the starting job outright from Bob, it was handed to him on a silver platter. Ilya promptly played like the worst goalie I've seen in my relatively limited years for the Orange and Black.

Call it what it is, a goalie who (formerly) thinks highly of himself coming in asking to be the highest paid goalie in the league has utterly failed under the pressure of a real hockey market. He would play the same in Montreal or Toronto. Bryz at the very least has lost control of his head, and no one can fix that but himself.

Seriously, Bryz sucks. The only thing that comes close is the inconsistency in this team, which was EXPECTED going into this season. With so many injuries and rookies, you could expect even more issues with team defense. That's where the goalie is SUPPOSED to come into play.

Why can't Bob play that well? Because he's a developing goalie, nothing more complicated than that. Bryz is a flake, and has lost whatever magic he might have had.

It isn't Lavy's system, it isn't Bobrovsky, and it isn't the goalie coach. Bryzgalov totally ******* sucks, and Snider's pride / Bryz's contract are throwing this team and its fans under the bus. Bryz never won the starting job outright from Bob, it was handed to him on a silver platter. Ilya promptly played like the worst goalie I've seen in my relatively limited years for the Orange and Black.

Call it what it is, a goalie who (formerly) thinks highly of himself coming in asking to be the highest paid goalie in the league has utterly failed under the pressure of a real hockey market. He would play the same in Montreal or Toronto. Bryz at the very least has lost control of his head, and no one can fix that but himself.

Amen to that - well said. Only thing I'm afraid of is he doesn't care enough to fix it - or worse, doesn't see it as a problem. Remember just a few days ago he said he "wasn't playing bad, just making a lot of stupid mistakes."

Look I know the guy is human, he wants to succeed and be the big hero by bringing a Stanley Cup to Philly. But it looks to me like that's more Bryzgalov fantasy than anything else. Last night he looked the best I've seen and he still let in one he should've had. This is what passes now for a "good game" by Bryzgalov.

To put it another way, we're fkd till this guy is history.