The Name?

Wild Thing

So in another thread the topic of the Cleveland Guardians and then the Washington Commanders came up and I have a question why hasn't the Chicago Blackhawks ever really been pressured to change their name or logo? They have been a franchise for a very long time and for as long as I am aware they have had the same logo. 

Yes, why hasn't that franchise been pressured like the Washington Redskins of the NFL and the Cleveland Indians of MLB?

I'm not saying they should or anything like that, I am just wondering why they have been pretty much given a go with the name while other teams have been pressured to change. 

Edited by Wild Thing

17 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Yes, why hasn't that franchise been pressured like the Washington Redskins of the NFL and the Cleveland Indians of MLB?

I'm not saying they should or anything like that, I am just wondering why they have been pretty much given a go with the name while other teams have been pressured to change. 

I don't have a good answer for you, but I'm hoping someone has a viable answer because it's really a terrific question.

Chicago soccer is The Fire.

Chicago hockey can be The Ice.  (Miami blew it, shoulda been their’s, but noooooo…)

In March and April (and later in playoff years) the sportscasters can have fun on the nights both teams play.

At least Blackhawks is not a racist slur, and at least the logo isn’t a ridiculous face caricature.  In fact they’ve always said the name honors the chieftain of the Sac and Fox (previously “Sauk”) nation.  Tribune editorial a year ago urges just “Hawks”.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

I like looking through fan sweater and logo concepts, and I saw this one a few years ago.
If the Blackhawks really are forced to change their name, and they shorten to just Hawks, I actually like this for them.