Bryz made some key saves....

Guest KnucklesNilan

It's completely fair. Bryz is the reason the Flyers "almost lost" the game.

Which means, of course, that they won it.

If he wants a Schmidt quote on Philadelphia: "the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day"

I know what you're trying to say here Rad, but it does not change the outlook on the rest of the season for me. The team is not going to be able to bail him out every time. In fact, he needs to be able to bail them out some nights. People got annoyed with me last season because I looked at things in the big picture. Even though the team was leading the division all year, when they started their slide, I knew it would not magically disappear during the playoffs. I don't savor victories like this as long as some would like because within that vicotry comes legit concerns. It was great to see them pull it out, but what would get my off Bryz's back would be 4-5 very good games in a row. That would give me the confidence that MAYBE he is ready to lead this team to success. Thats how I felt after his last stretch where he strung together some good games, but then he let us down again.

Edited by Adamflyers

Which is why I said I don't think he is a troll, but an overly postive fan getting too bent out of shape

I know what you're trying to say here Rad, but it does not change the outlook on the rest of the season for me. The team is not going to be able to bail him out every time. In fact, he needs to be able to bail them out some nights. People got annoyed with me last season because I looked at things in the big picture. Even though the team was leading the division all year, when they started their slide, I knew it would not magically disappear during the playoffs. I don't savor victories like this as long as some would like because within that vicotry comes legit concerns. It was great to see them pull it out, but what would get my off Bryz's back would be 4-5 very good games in a row. That would give me the confidence that MAYBE he is ready to lead this team to success. Thats how I felt after his last stretch where he strung together some good games, but then he let us down again.

hell.. if he could just string together 3 good games in a row, i'm sure a lot of fans would ease off.

I'm hardly "savoring" the win and was vicious in the game chat right after the fourth goal before the Jets collapsed and the Flyers' determination won out.

I'm not making any excuses. I've been very clear that Bryz needs to play better and that it was a ridiculous decision to sign him to that contract.

I readily acknowledge two backbreaking goals - the opener and the 4th goal that put the Flyers down... again.

But the fact remains the Flyers *did* win the game and there were a couple of folks in chat that wanted to "make sure" that Bryz wasn't "let off the hook because they won."

The key phrase there being: they won. And some *still* think the most important thing is to roast Bryzgalov. Not Simmonds' strong play and game-tying goal. Not Jagr becoming the all-time leading ovetime goal scorer in NHL history. Not Briere - BRIERE - muscling out the puck for the game-winning assist. Not Read dropping the gloves. Not the effort that overcame a Winnipeg team playing with a purpose and a "hot goalie" making 50+ freaking saves..

No, the important thing is to bash our goalie.

For the record, this team as it is right now doesn't get past the first round if they play anyone but the Southeast winner - and that's taking into consideration that they're 1-2-1 against WINNIPEG this year.

Still 1/4 of the season to go...

That's fair Rad. I see your point on that. There were many positives to mention on last night's game for which no threads have been made. I'll admit, I'm stuck on Bryz bad play, though I fully took notice of the great work by Danny B, Simmer, Read and I thought Grossman looked good out there. I think the additions of Grossman and Kubina and sending down MAB will benefit Bryz.

From what we've seen from Bryzgalov, even most routine saves are now considered "fantastic."

And his bad goals actually force the forwards into playing Peterpuck's pedal-to-the-medal hockey. It's a great fit, IMO.

I can recall two saves that were fantastic... the glove save toward the end of the game and the nice right pad save in OT that swung the play the other way where the Flyers offense absolutely took over, eventually winning the game.

THAT'S exactly what he used to do in Phx and that's exactly what the Flyers need from Bryz! Overall, a great game to watch!

I appreciate looking on the bright side so thanks!

If only the Flyers gave him a regular contract, maybe he'd be looked at differently? Well, it would help the pain knowing we aren't throwing him a ton of money. The saves you mentioned were fantastic. Unfortunately he's getting paid to make those saves ALL the time, not just some. I still can't figure out how he missed that forth goal.

It's hard with the goals he allows. so many times does he go to make a save and it either slips in between his legs, or under his armpit and every time I wonder why he just can't get in front of the damn thing and let it hit him instead of the fancy crap. Just put up a wall! Reminds me of Roger Dorn in Major League getting crap for the way he played short stop "get in front of the damn ball Dorn, don't give me this "ole" bullsh!t"