Bryzgalov...seriously?

Guest ruxpin

Okay, so I'm reading this article:

http://www.philly.co..._late_show.html

And I'm starting to wonder if Bryzgalov is Rick. Seriously, the dude is coming across equally as retarded.

Does he really think the mocking from the Peg fans was cheering? Does the NHL have random substance abuse testing?

well... clearly the next home game, the thing to do is to have 19+ thousand fans chant 'ILYA... ILYA' all game long.

well honestly do you think he's the one seeking out the media? The philly media is going at him relentlessly after games, practices, etc b/c he's not living up to expectations and he's known for being a bit "out there" and giving good quotes. Last night's game he was relevant b/c of his comments about not wanting to play in Winnipeg if the Coyotes moved there. Richards got chastized for NOT talking to the media when they were hounding him constantly, now Bryz talks "too much". Philly fans are just NEVER happy.

No doubt X, I gotta admit some of these threads are just sad how negative the fans love to stoop and how thick people can get when reading into his quotes.

They hate on every comment, boo him, ignore solid play, want to run him out of town, have something to complain about and seek out the offseason pity party about the goalie situation - I think deep down maybe thats what some fans really want. It's becoming the Philly norm to be the miserable, fickle *** hole fan who will boo at the drop of a hat and relish in anger and it sucks to be associated with that.

I'm pretty sick of the negativity, is it too hard to just SUPPORT your players and seek out the POSITIVE (i.e the OT win last night and solid OT saves he made that led to the win)?

Edited by Green Man

If Bryz is thinking about the distance between the puck and his glove he's clearly thinking too much. A goalie with confidence just doesn't need to make those calculations. I do believe his confidence is shot and he's doing his best to hide it or slough it off in his interviews. The reality is there is a difference between being a bad goalie and a good goalie who is playing bad. I'm firmly convinced that Bryz is the latter. I have no idea how to fix it and if I did, I'm pretty sure no one would listen anyway.

Maybe he needs a thousand shots at him a day until he starts saving on reflex rather than "thinking".

I heard Don Maloney (his former GM) on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he is sure that Bryz can turn it around. He also mentioned that what you saw on 24/7 is the real Bryzgalov. He's "different".

Richards got chastized for NOT talking to the media when they were hounding him constantly, now Bryz talks "too much". Philly fans are just NEVER happy.

Fair, in a way. But not directly comparable since Richards was the Captain.

In fact, if I had a guy like Bryz, who clearly just needs to STFU, I'd be expecting my Captain to carry the load media-wise, precisely so that my goalie can focus his puny little Russian mind on a 1x3 black vulcanized rubber disk weighing 6 ounces and its troublesome relationship with a thin red line.

@Green Man

You make good points. The description probably fits me well, but in this case I really was on the "he's a good goalie who has allowed trying to live up to a huge contract get to his head." I'm still hoping that is the case. But the more he talks, the more he sounds like a looney toon. I actually do like that he has some personality about him (unlike the above contrast to Richie). I just wish he'd start stopping the puck so we can get on with it.

@ruxpin

that's the crux of the issue isn't it, he's got to play better and people will get up off of him...

the guy hasn't come close to living up to even the modest expectation of stopping the the easy ones, people have been wanting to throw Lavy, the defense, "the system" under the bus, all of those things contribute to the goal keepers performance,that can't be denied, what also can't be denied is the guy gives up 4 goals on 25 shots every frickin' night, the shots against are average to good, the goalkeepers play has not been.

so until he mans up and concentrates on the fing puck for 60 minutes a night he deserves every bit of vitriol he gets here and else where,

Fair, in a way. But not directly comparable since Richards was the Captain.

In fact, if I had a guy like Bryz, who clearly just needs to STFU, I'd be expecting my Captain to carry the load media-wise, precisely so that my goalie can focus his puny little Russian mind on a 1x3 black vulcanized rubber disk weighing 6 ounces and its troublesome relationship with a thin red line.

Another fair point, but unfortunately Pronger can't provide his services. I think he would be stepping in and taking that spotlight off of Bryz to give him some room purposely. Timo stepped in recently but his comments that called out the team's poor play didn't really hit the mark. Hell, even some fans were trying to twist it into him saying Lavi doesn't have a system. Bryz would be better off just giving boring answers so the media will stop looking for those sound bites and concentrating on his game.

Bryz would be better off just giving boring answers

I honestly don't think he can help himself. That's his schtick and he's sticking with it. He like being "a character" - that's his personality. Shutting the F up might help. Might. But I doubt it.

Sadly, this appears to be the case.

When he did go silent, the Flyers were served with a grievance from the media.

When he gave short answers, the media hounded him over and over again until he snapped at them - then the media blamed Bryz for snapping at them.

I still think 24/7 was the worst thing that could have happened to him. I think it destroyed his concentration, created silly rifts in the team (Jagr comically moving away from the table as Bryz sat down, for example) and gave people things to harp on over and over (universe, huskies).

Good points @radoran

I appreciate the dilemma he's in media-wise. I do.

Having said that, I'm constantly underwhelmed by the efforts of teams to manage player communications. I work in politics, which is 99% communciations, and it's a full time job managing what comes out of politicians's mouths. NHL teams have way more resources, and they fail at this stuff all the time. I don't get it.

Good points @radoran

I appreciate the dilemma he's in media-wise. I do.

Having said that, I'm constantly underwhelmed by the efforts of teams to manage player communications. I work in politics, which is 99% communciations, and it's a full time job managing what comes out of politicians's mouths. NHL teams have way more resources, and they fail at this stuff all the time. I don't get it.

The Flyers organization gets high marks in many areas, but they have HUGE blind spots that they abjectly refuse to address. Media relations is one of them.

I just got off a campaign myself, and it's not at all easy to manage what people say.

Of course, that's why most professional organizations do more than have one sit-down meeting with a guy before determining that they should give him a nine-year contract with a clause fobidding them to do anything regardless of what the guy does, effectively mortgaging the next decade of the organization to him.

The problem is that the Flyers ALWAYS believe they are thisclose to a Cup and if they just tweak this or that, it will be fine. "Retooling, not rebuilding."

If the foundation is cracked, no amount of shuffling the furniture in the living room is going to fix it.

This could be a fun game. I'll try one.

That's like saying I'm really good at hunting but I just keep missing my shots.

Like Bryz saying "I am not ***, I just like anal sex with men."

Edit: You can't say "g a y" on this forum?? Discrimination!!!

Edited by trevluk

@ Mojo -

For being behind the play all night he made a nice stop in OT, his last stop, and the game turned into 2 points. Let's see if he can get more in synch on this road trip with some new blueliners. Positive political posting versus vitriolic ventsmanship