The Atlantic Division - Best in the League?

Guest radoran

Today's standings: 2.22.12 1. * NY Rangers 58 81 2. * Boston 57 72 3. * Florida 58 65 4. New Jersey 59 74 5. Philadelphia 59 73 6. Pittsburgh 60 73 7. Ottawa 61 70 8. Toronto 60 65 9. Winnipeg 62 65 10. Washington 59 63 11. Tampa Bay 59 60 12. Buffalo 60 59 13. NY Islanders 60 58 14. Montreal 61 58 15. Carolina 60

If the season ended today, not only would we all be very surprised, but there would be four Atlantic Division teams with point totals ahead of the other two division winners.

Boston (2) and Florida (1) both have games in hand on the Devils and Flyers, and one more against the Pens. But the Atlantic teams are tied with or have games in hand against every other team in every other division.

And down the stretch is where the Atlantic will feed upon itself.

The most difficult division in the league? In North American sports?

I actually thought this year might be a year for all five to make it. Isles looked to me like a team ready to vie for a 7-8 seed. Looks like they won't again, but they're not that far out either.

I'm also rooting for Winnipeg to knock both Florida and Washington out of the playoff picture.

I honestly don't have a problem with the Leafs making it anymore. There's really nobody on the team I actively hate anymore. I'd prefer they made it over Washington, or any of the other southeast team that are actually in the southeast.

what's crazy to me is purely by points (no div leader getting a gift seeding), the atlantic is 1-4 in the east. boston has games in hand, true, but it's still pretty nuts to see the 4 teams above everyone else like that. certainly no other division in the league is close to that.

what's crazy to me is purely by points (no div leader getting a gift seeding), the atlantic is 1-4 in the east. boston has games in hand, true, but it's still pretty nuts to see the 4 teams above everyone else like that. certainly no other division in the league is close to that.

It's really going to suck if they ever adopt that playoff model they were floating around earlier this year. Good thing the NHLPA rejected it!

Today's standings: 2.22.12 1. * NY Rangers 58 81 2. * Boston 57 72 3. * Florida 58 65 4. New Jersey 59 74 5. Philadelphia 59 73 6. Pittsburgh 60 73 7. Ottawa 61 70 8. Toronto 60 65 9. Winnipeg 62 65 10. Washington 59 63 11. Tampa Bay 59 60 12. Buffalo 60 59 13. NY Islanders 60 58 14. Montreal 61 58 15. Carolina 60

If the season ended today, not only would we all be very surprised, but there would be four Atlantic Division teams with point totals ahead of the other two division winners.

Boston (2) and Florida (1) both have games in hand on the Devils and Flyers, and one more against the Pens. But the Atlantic teams are tied with or have games in hand against every other team in every other division.

And down the stretch is where the Atlantic will feed upon itself.

I think it is the most difficult division in the league but all the media seems to think that the Central division is. Sure, the Central has some good teams, but they also have an easier schedule, thus easier to acquire points.

• 1 month later...

The Atlantic Division has, as of 3.26.2012, qualified three teams for the playoffs.

The other two divisions in the East have yet to qualify for the playoffs.

In the Western Conference, all of two teams have qualified for the playoffs.

The third place team in the Atlantic (Flyers) is currently five points ahead of the second seed and would take fifth...

Playing Devil's advocate here cause I think the Atlantic and Central are the two toughest, but:

Maybe the Atlantic teams are doing so well because the other two divisions in the East are poor.

Playing Devil's advocate here cause I think the Atlantic and Central are the two toughest, but:

Maybe the Atlantic teams are doing so well because the other two divisions in the East are poor.

For the sake of a devil's advocate... :-)

Taking away the Blue Jackets, the next to last team in the East is 11 points out of a playoff spot. In the West it's 15 points.

Taking in the Blue Jackets, I've got them at 3-16-2 against their division. The Islanders are at least 6-12-3 in the Atlantic.

Also, while Detroit has been a perrennial playoff team as was St. Louis forever until flaking out a few years back, Chicago has only recently had a resurgance and only time will tell how Nashville does long-term.

The Atlantic has had the Devils, Flyers and Rangers and even the Pens since their return from tanking for draft picks :-)