What would it take to pry Halak away from the Blues?

Guest Phillygrump

weird... our goalies didn't look better under his system. hrmmm..

Really? In his first year, we were tied for the fewest GA in the NHL with NJ. His 2nd year, we were 6th fewest GA. After the lockout, we fell to the middle of the pack, and then last overall in the NHL when we had our franchise-worst season.

This year we're 24th.

Didn't Halak put up just average numbers last year? St Louis isn't going to part with him while he's playing lights out, not to mention They'd want a TON for him, we'd be spending way too much on the goalie position (i'd assume they'd want Bobs IF they want a goalie included) and we'd have the most expensive duo in the league. Also, goalies go from stellar to crap and back sometimes. We could be booing HIM next season and be stuck with TWO horrible, overpaid goalies.

Really? In his first year, we were tied for the fewest GA in the NHL with NJ. His 2nd year, we were 6th fewest GA. After the lockout, we fell to the middle of the pack, and then last overall in the NHL when we had our franchise-worst season.

This year we're 24th.

You and your "facts" - there is an ideology with Hitch that Shall Not Be Questioned!

Also, too, Cechmanek lost the Ottawa series.

Halak would not put up the same numbers here as in STL, but he did put up some nice play in Montreal.

you'd kinda think flyer fans would learn the lesson of chasing goalie names after bryzgalov. for at least a season or two.

Halak did it in MTL as well. Its not really a fad if he played that well with two different teams.

Besides aziz, before when we didn't have a number 1 goalie everyone said we should get one. Now we have one and I suggest a guy who's better and you don't think thats a good idea either.

Should we just put a trash can with a pillow back there and see what happens?

It actually might be a better option in the shootout

Seriously though, Bryz is a horrible contract for us right now and its not to say he can't turn his play around, but I just don"t like his general attitude towards hockey and his team and the fans of Philly. I'd love to dream of a world where we could move Bryz somewhere and pick up a guy like Halak who is cheaper and has the ability to make those saves when our defense breaks down.

Halak did it in MTL as well. Its not really a fad if he played that well with two different teams

halak had two real seasons in Montreal, one pretty good, one great. two seasons in St Louis, one ok, one great. two great seasons, two ok ones. that is a smaller sample than bryzgalov, with his three good, three great split between Phoenix and Anaheim.

the lesson of bryzgalov is that it is always a fad to chase a goalie who is playing well at the moment. with very few exceptions. goalies cannot be predicted from game to game or season to season. it'd be great if you could, but you can't. just look at halak last season. or even the first two months of this one (i.e., pre-Hitchcock). very just ok last year, and full on brutal early this one.

who would have thought Ryan Miller would be so bad this season? over the last four years, Jonas hiller had been crowned a badass. except he's been terrible this year.

unless you are looking at one of the very very very few elite guys, NEVER assume the goalie you see playing great for someone else today will play great for you tomorrow. and even those three or for elite guys, be careful. goalies come and go too quickly to go running around after them.

halak had two real seasons in Montreal, one pretty good, one great. two seasons in St Louis, one ok, one great. two great seasons, two ok ones. that is a smaller sample than bryzgalov, with his three good, three great split between Phoenix and Anaheim.

the lesson of bryzgalov is that it is always a fad to chase a goalie who is playing well at the moment. with very few exceptions. goalies cannot be predicted from game to game or season to season. it'd be great if you could, but you can't. just look at halak last season. or even the first two months of this one (i.e., pre-Hitchcock). very just ok last year, and full on brutal early this one.

who would have thought Ryan Miller would be so bad this season? over the last four years, Jonas hiller had been crowned a badass. except he's been terrible this year.

unless you are looking at one of the very very very few elite guys, NEVER assume the goalie you see playing great for someone else today will play great for you tomorrow. and even those three or for elite guys, be careful. goalies come and go too quickly to go running around after them.

Hiller has been "terrible" this year?

Um, I think you're confusing him with some other goalie. He's been carrying the Ducks on his back this season.

He had a bad stretch due to his vertigo problem, but that was mostly last season.

I have to agree w/Doom. I do not believe Halak would be the same in the "defense is optional" system of Lavi. Hell I'm not sure if Jonathan Quick would put up the same numbers playing in the Flyers system.

Is there a goalie that would excel in this system?I

Is Lavy's attack system one that only someone like a Hasek in his prime would do well in? (Basically someone who has to ability to stone breakaways & odd-man rushes on a consistent basis.)

Hiller has been "terrible" this year?

Um, I think you're confusing him with some other goalie. He's been carrying the Ducks on his back this season.

He had a bad stretch due to his vertigo problem, but that was mostly last season.

he's been much better in january and february, but he carried a .897sv% and a 3.17gaa through the end of december. i should change that statement: he's been terrible this season, except for the last two months. point is: mr godlike .924sv% from last season is desperately trying to claw his way to a .910sv% this season. what he was a year ago is not what he is now.

full disclosure: i don't watch a lot of ducks games, i'm going just by the stats and the continuous story line from oct-dec of "wtf happened to hiller."

@aziz

I'll admit that my feelings about Halak are based on a gut feeling, but his playoff run was impressive and he goes through streaks where he just will not be scored upon. Plus he's cheaper than Bryz. If the Flyers could somehow shed that albatross that is Bryz's contract Halak is the guy I would like to see here.

Its obviously a pipe dream, but nevertheless I enjoy the idea of it.

he's been much better in january and february, but he carried a .897sv% and a 3.17gaa through the end of december. i should change that statement: he's been terrible this season, except for the last two months. point is: mr godlike .924sv% from last season is desperately trying to claw his way to a .910sv% this season. what he was a year ago is not what he is now.

full disclosure: i don't watch a lot of ducks games, i'm going just by the stats and the continuous story line from oct-dec of "wtf happened to hiller."

Right now (and for a while now) he is a wall back there. Easily a top-5 goalie right now, maybe better.

but his playoff run was impressive and he goes through streaks where he just will not be scored upon.

the same could be said of both brian boucher and michael leighton at points. goaltending is a dangerous thing to project.

as far as what it would take to pry the blue's #1 goaltender away just as they are poised to rejoin the playoff-making half of the league, my guess would be JVR, bob, coburn and a 1st. and that is this offseason. by the deadline? add schenn and another 1st. another lesson of goaltending is if you find a guy who gets it done for you, you don't get rid of him.

Hiller outright stunk the first half of the year. Jan and Feb he turned it around big time. His true value is somewhere inbetween. As far as the Flyers go, Halak is not feasable. What could be possible is trading a goal scorer for Elliot. He just signed a 2 year deal for just under 2 mill a year. Guess it would depend on who St.Louis had in the system goalie wise. Would be tough to convince them to deal Elliot though, they have a real nice 1-2 punch. With the return of Andy McDonald, they might not be anxious to make a big move....plus looks like Stewart is finally starting to heat it up after a God awful year. Don't know if anyone has watched the Blues this year, but T.J Oshie is a vastly underrated young talent. Don't know where the goals will come from, but the Blues might make some noise in this years playoffs.....guess you can say the same about Nashville though.

Edit....i would credit Hillier's astounding turn around to the coaching change and the new defensive system Boudreau instuited when arriving with the Ducks, much like Hitch drastically altered Halak's season.

Edited by jammer2