Would Not Bet Against This Guy

Guest terp

Bobrovsky reacts to trade rumors

It's the time of year when basically every team in the league has players appearing in trade rumors. One of them on the Flyers side has been Sergei Bobrovsky. The young goaltender knows the name of the game, but says he's only focusing on his job as a Flyer.

"I'm in Philadelphia now. I try to help my team the best I can. I'm not preparing to get traded. I'm only focusing on the games."

"The main thing is to just play. Everything can change very fast. You can't get stuck on things and you can't dwell on things. It's a tough schedule with three or four games a week. There's no time to get emotional."

"I like everything in Philadelphia. I respect the organization and the employees. But if something happens... That's life. And it's a part of my job."

"In this league, anyone can get traded at any time", says Flyers' goalie coach Jeff Reese. "But we like it that the Flyers have two good goalies. Look at Boston and Vancouver that played in the finals last season; both have very good tandems in goal with Luongo and Schneider and Thomas and Rask."

Bobrovsky says that sharing duties with Ilya Bryzgalov is an important experience for him.

"Ilya is a good goalie and I can learn something from him. He's helpful, he tells me things and I'm thankful for that."

Reese agrees the situation is a good learning experience for Bobrovsky.

"This season Sergei has no room for mistakes. Last season he could just go on to the next game after a bad game, but now it means riding the bench for a week behind Bryzgalov. But that's a great experience for a young goalie. I'm sure Bob will soon become a number one goaltender in the NHL."

Reese has seen improvement in Bobrovsky's play compared to last season.

"Yes. The biggest progress is in his puck handling. He used to stay deep in his goal, but now he challenges the forwards more and he likes to go behind the net to play the puck."

"He still needs to learn how to read the opponent to be one step ahead of the play and be more aggressive in certain situations."

Bobrovsky's English has improved enough that he can communicate well with Reese, even if he's still not comfortable enough to give interviews.

"We understand each other without problems", Reese says. "I know he's still uncomfortable about giving interviews without an interpreter. He sees how the journalists are pressuring Bryzgalov, so he wants to be understood correctly."

Even after working with him for a year, Reese is still very much impressed by Bobrovsky's willingness to learn and work so hard every day.

"I really like Bobrovsky. He's a workaholic. Sometimes he works on the ice for two hours. To me, that's overkill. But he just goes off the ice and continues at the gym. This season, he came to training camp two weeks before the camp opened. A year ago he started training in July."

"I think what you do is what you are", Bobrovsky says. "I try to do my best when I train, both physically and mentally. The goal above everything else is to get better."

Being ready to play at all times is one part of the learning process that Bobrovsky is going through and he admits it's something he needs to work on.

"Of course I have difficult moments, too. For example, I don't always know when I'm going to play. If I was informed about it beforehand, I'd be better prepared. Uncertainty is inconvenient."

This report was based off of a Russian-language story in the publication Sovetsky Sport. I also want to give a shout out to the original interviewer Natalia Bragilevskaya. You can follow her on Twitter @Natalia_Phila

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/2/22/2816596/bobrovsky-reacts-to-trade-rumors

"I really like Bobrovsky. He's a workaholic. Sometimes he works on the ice for two hours. To me, that's overkill. But he just goes off the ice and continues at the gym. This season, he came to training camp two weeks before the camp opened. A year ago he started training in July." Jeff Reese on Sergie Bobrovsky

Damn. Damn damn damn. If only we hadn't ... "gotten serious" about goaltending.

Things would've gone so much better for Bob and the Flyers if he'd been a "co-#1" this year. With Boucher, with Naby, Vokoun, whoever. To have the rookie season he had - the first 2/3 of it was pretty fantastic - then get blindsided by the Bryzgalov signing. That had to suck. To add insult to injury the "true #1" they bring in sucks worse than Bob ever did.

Bryzgalov poisoned the well - the goaltending well - and the Flyers can't get much better till he's gone. Sure they can shore-up the D, they can bring in 6'5" 250lb 35 year olds who know the game, they can stay ahead of the pack standings-wise all year. But when the POs start - barring a miracle turnaround by Bryzgalov...it'll be the same ol' story for the Flyers.

I hope Ed finds a way to get rid of Bryzgalov but I'm afraid Bob will be the one to go. What a shame. That kid has "never say die" written all over him. He's not only willing he's eager to work his butt off to get great. He's blessed with a lot of natural ability, speed, reflexes, intelligence. He's a keeper. But not in Philly. God forbid we show some patience with a goaltender.

Damn. Damn damn damn. If only ...

Damn. Damn damn damn. If only ...

My sentiments exactly. Not just this quote but your entire post. World class talent, attitude and work ethic. And a brain. Oh, and over here, we have Bryzgalov...

When you say he "poisoned the well" I also take that to mean that he's put under the negative press goaltending microscope. Guilt by association. This and the lack of starts isn't helping his development. I suspect he is losing starts to Bryzgalov so that that fool can iron out his game. A lot of good it is doing Bobrovsky or us.

In a perverse way, maybe Bryzgalov's failure is good news because, if he continues to suck like this without appreciable improvement, maybe they find a way to unload him and we can keep Bobrovsky around for 9 years or so.

Edited by terp

I must have missed when Bobs was suddenly imbued with "world class talent." i'm not even sure what he's done to deserve such praise and i like thr Bobs as much as the next guy. there's maybe four guys on our squad with "world class talent" but I wouldn't put Bobs up there with the likes of Jagr, Pronger, Timmo, Giroux. Would you?

@mkscrewy

i would, talent is defined as a special natural abilty or aptitude. Sergei has very quick reflexes, excellent skating ability ( you've seen him go post to post right ?) and vision. i would say that qualifies as talent.

talent alone doesn't make a great player, no need to elaborate there are tons of athletes with all the talent and none of the _______ to be the best...

now, he needs to learn somethings to be more effective in north america, his positioning, when to challenge shooters, and puck handling come to mind readiily, if he improves on those things he could then be considered a world class goalie. he has the physical tools and the desire to improve.

there's a lot to like about the young man.

I must have missed when Bobs was suddenly imbued with "world class talent." i'm not even sure what he's done to deserve such praise and i like thr Bobs as much as the next guy. there's maybe four guys on our squad with "world class talent" but I wouldn't put Bobs up there with the likes of Jagr, Pronger, Timmo, Giroux. Would you?

Jagr and Pronger are HOF. I'm not sure you have to be HOF to be considered a world class talent. He's a second year goaltender with outstanding reflexes, lateral movement and flexibility. That's world class talent in my book.

Bob has the most natural talent of any goalie we have had since Lindbergh. If he can work on a few things like, not leaving the short side post uncovered, standing up and challenging at the right time, and to be alert and always expect shots from anywhere. Then we will finally have a franchise goalie. I fear that we will trade him since we are stuck with Bryz.

I'm not implying one must be a HOF to have world class talent (I would say the opposite, however). To me, world class talent would put this goalie among the top goalies in the league, up there with Miller, TT, Price, lundqvist, and a few others. I wouldn't put the Bobs up with there with them-yet. I think he's got a lot of skill and potential to be very good. I just think calling him a world class talent is a little premature. Maybe in a couple years I will agree with you.

Also keep in mind Bryz is supposed to be a world class talent as well. I don't think even his strongest defenders would say hes playing like it now. A lot of us question if he should even be in the NHL. He's good for at least one head scratching WTF goal a game, and frankly so is the Bobs ATM.

Not saying we have to agree here. I want to believe just like you do. I think the potential is there, I just don't see the consistency yet to make the same assessment.

@mkscrewy

i think it is a semantics issue, since you really just agreed with most everyone. talent= special ability. no one has said, he's as good as the guys you mentioned, but he has the talent or potential/ability to be as good as them .

ability to go post to post faster than anyone to wear the o/b in the last 25 years = talent.

Man, this makes me happy and sad at the same time. I hope the Flyers right this wrong and let Bob earn the starting job. Can't they just *try* to develop a goalie? Bob is loaded with natural talent, and a desire to learn/work/improve. ARGH!