More moves before trade deadline?

Guest InHexyWeTrust

What's everyone's thoughts on the state of the team before the deadline? Is Homer still looking for a trade, or is he all set after Grossman and Kubina?

I'm a big big fan of both moves. Kubina seems like a true flyer already with his comments. But of course, there seems to be nothing we can do about the goaltending situation this year. Have been hoping and will continue to hope that either Bryz or Bobs finds his game and plays with enough consistency to be a clear #1. Doubtful.

But other than the goalies, I really like the look of the team now, both offense, which has been dominant the whole year, and a now bigger, more powerful d-corp. Kubina's right hand shot is only going to add to the offensive options.

Seems like the same story as it is every year, but I like this team going toward the playoffs with just the goalie as the omnipresent question mark.

That said, I think Homer's done. Maybe a try for Nash closer to the deadline if the price comes down--JVR, Carle, Read, maybe? Save that, I think this will be the team we take into the playoffs.

Edited by hexie27

Unlikely. They dont have much cap room. Unless they make a huge trade and unload some big parts. Personally, i would just stay put and hope that Grossman and Kubina pay off. They should send Bryzgalov to see Dr Joel Fish.

Trading Hartnell is absurd, he is a warrior and made for playoff hockey. He battles and scores all the dirty goals in front and has a real good shot. Id rather dump Carle and Timmo for first round draft picks and or top prospects. Then we can trade JVR for a good young dman, and then at the draft use our extra picks to trade up and land a good winger to replace JVR. Also with the $$ we save we can try and sign Suter or Webber. Of course if someone wants to take Briere Im all for that, hopefully to Montreal for OK Subban

Hartnell is scoring as many goals as Nash for half the price. The only way i give up JVR or Schenn is for a young future impact dman. either a defensive stalwart, who hits like scott Stevens and blocks shots and can actually play defense, or a 2 way guy with a big point shot who can QB the PP

@RonJeremy

so you're saying the flyers should be sellers this year...?

top 4 in points in the east 3/4 of the way through and you want to dump carle timmonen & briere ?

wow.

i think we're going to like kubina's game and right hand shot, I think Grossman will be a nice steady physical presence as well.

i say we stand pat, see how these new guys fit, i kind of like this team and don't want to see it blown up.

To all:

I know he has a NMC, but I'd seriously entertain moving Briere. If for no other reason than it frees up cap $. I'd also consider moving JVR for Luke or Nash. In a perfect world, we'd get a goalie along with Nash. We also seem to have a number of forwards at the AHL that are basically same size and talent who will probably only see a cup of coffee at the next level. Wellwood comes to mind as well as Z who still needs to play the defense role the is required. Surely some of these guys could be packaged for depth or picks.

I want to keep Briere. I think he has more than earned the right to stay.

JvR is the one young gun whom I am willing to trade in the right deal, but I'd want a lot in return. In other words, trade him for Luke Schenn, but only if more than just Schenn is involved.

My "dream" trade right now would still be JvR, Carle & Bob for Bernier, Jack Johnson & Stoll from LA. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, and I think it'd be a win-win for both teams.

JvR is the one young gun whom I am willing to trade in the right deal, but I'd want a lot in return. In other words, trade him for Luke Schenn, but only if more than just Schenn is involved.

My "dream" trade right now would still be JvR, Carle & Bob for Bernier, Jack Johnson & Stoll from LA. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, and I think it'd be a win-win for both teams.

I second that, and anyway, who would run the motel for the new kids? I'd move JVR for the right person D man.

@mojo1917...my reason to move Carle is simple, hes an UFA, he will be looking for a big raise and we cant pay him and hes not worth a big raise. We can hold on to him and with our atrocious goaltending,we can go out in one or two rounds, and then get nothing . Or we can deal Carle , and at deadline time, Cup bound teams always grossly overpay. We gave up two second rounders plus for an old Kubina and a bottom pairing guy who are both UFA. Imagine what we can get for Carle. I would also entertain offers for Timmo, he has one year left after this, if an unreal offer came in Id do it. Of course I d have to get a top young dman back in either deal. I think part of holmgrens reason for getting 2 dmen is to trade Carle.

We have to get some young top pairing dmen from somewhere, Pronger is toast and Timmo has one more year, where are we gonna get these dmen from unless we make a trade ? We do not have one impact prospect left in our entire system ,we have a few role players like Wellwood whos a 3rd liner and Bourdon and Kessler on D, who are 5th or 6th guys. If we drafted a top dman this summer hes 2-3 yrs from helping us. By dumping Timmo and Carle we free up some $$ to sign a guy like Webber or Suter. Briere is another guy I would trade if the right deal came along. we can dump some of these big contracts. NOW IF WE COULD ONLY DUMP BRYZ. Or in making these deals we stockpile some first rounders and prospects to use for trades for young dmen or we move up in the draft and get a highly rated dman.

p.s this is supposed to be a revamping year anyway, and we exceeded expectations after trading our top 2 centermen, and are scoring lots of goals. Now its time to revamp the defense. I know it will be harder, but we have 2 veteran dmen Carle and timmo that we can trade for young dmen, and then re-sign Kubina and the other guy for much less than Carle and timmo and they can assume the leadership and we can bring in young talent on the blueline.

I understand your pain, I dont want to give up, but Im being realistic. We are pretty set on offense, and we never expected to score like we have, and our defense and goaltending,was supposed to be the strong point. It turned out to be the exact opposite. My biggest concern is finding replacements for Pronger and Timmo, only way I see it happening is by making some bold moves, . Maybe Homer can pull that off, like he did in rebuilding the offense.

What's everyone's thoughts on the state of the team before the deadline? Is Homer still looking for a trade, or is he all set after Grossman and Kubina?

I'm a big big fan of both moves. Kubina seems like a true flyer already with his comments. But of course, there seems to be nothing we can do about the goaltending situation this year. Have been hoping and will continue to hope that either Bryz or Bobs finds his game and plays with enough consistency to be a clear #1. Doubtful.

But other than the goalies, I really like the look of the team now, both offense, which has been dominant the whole year, and a now bigger, more powerful d-corp. Kubina's right hand shot is only going to add to the offensive options.

Seems like the same story as it is every year, but I like this team going toward the playoffs with just the goalie as the omnipresent question mark.

That said, I think Homer's done. Maybe a try for Nash closer to the deadline if the price comes down--JVR, Carle, Read, maybe? Save that, I think this will be the team we take into the playoffs.

The new name that is being floated around is Dustin Brown, especially with the Carter deal just going down. The Flyers are rumored to be one of the teams interested. That move doesn't really blow my skirt up, but if we can get him for cheap since his stats are down this season, I wouldn't mind it. Now if they tossed in Bernier, I would certainly listen. Not sure what we could possibly offer that would interest LA though.

@RonJeremy

so you're saying the flyers should be sellers this year...?

top 4 in points in the east 3/4 of the way through and you want to dump carle timmonen & briere ?

wow.

i think we're going to like kubina's game and right hand shot, I think Grossman will be a nice steady physical presence as well.

i say we stand pat, see how these new guys fit, i kind of like this team and don't want to see it blown up.

THIS!!!!! AGreed we stand pat, no more trades keep team intact as is.

So Carle for Johnson, Bob for Bernier, and JVR for Stoll??? Carle for Johnson maybe, but an unproven goalie for another in Bob and Bernier, then JVR for Stoll, man we got beat bad on that one...I like Stoll to but not enough to give up players like that. Plus we are stacked at center, unless Stoll could play the wing, but still there is no need for any trades, lets just sit and let this team develop. Stoll has a good shot might be good at the point on the pp but like I said no need for this. Edited by Philly29

. . .and Dustin Brown (LA) just became available.

C'mon, Homer - that kid was born to be a Flyer. Make it happen!

This leaves me wondering idly what the cost might be for a Brown/Bernier package to come Philly's way.

Edited by dilbert719

I'd have to believe that JvR & Bob would be the main pieces of the deal, maybe a pick too.

Some of the experts say that LA wants a scorer and young D for Brown. If Bernier gets tossed in, they would most likely need a goalie in return. So maybe something like:

Brown and Bernier for JVR, Bob, Bourdon OR Gustafsson, and a pick. Certainly rather do this than get Nash.

Some of the experts say that LA wants a scorer and young D for Brown. If Bernier gets tossed in, they would most likely need a goalie in return. So maybe something like:

Brown and Bernier for JVR, Bob, Bourdon OR Gustafsson, and a pick. Certainly rather do this than get Nash.

Couldn't agree more.

Brown was born to be a Flyer. And Bernier would end up being our goalie for the next 10-15 years, IMO.

Make this deal happen and we win a Cup or two in the near future (not this year).