Don't look now: Leafs may end up with Bruins instead of Lightning in Round 1

Boston up 3-0 and Tampa down 3-1 in 3rd. 

Boston will pull to within a point with Tampa playing NYI and Leafs laying down for Boston on Friday. 

What irony if Leafs end up with Bruins, again. 

A tie gives the higher seed to the Bruins so if Boston wins and Tampa loses in regulation or OT, Boston plays at Toronto on Monday.

If I'm the Bolts, I'd rather play Carolina than Toronto. 

4 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Boston will pull to within a point with Tampa

And that’s how she ended up tonite.

Atlantic would have 4 of the top 5 Eastern point-getters should Bruins and Bolts both win and Caps beat Rangers in regulation.  (Wish they seeded on points, this combination on final day would pair Leafs with Rags.)

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

And that’s how she ended up tonite.

Atlantic would have 4 of the top 5 Eastern point-getters should Bruins and Bolts both win and Caps beat Rangers in regulation.  (Wish they seeded on points, this combination on final day would pair Leafs with Rags.)

Pretty crazy stuff. Plus, all 8 teams in the East will be 100 point teams. 

I wish they seeded on points, too. Can't catch a break this year no matter who you get. 

Bruins will have to beat an AHL version of the Leafs, so that one should be in the bag for Boston.

The Islanders and Bolts will be really interesting. Tampa needs a win, most likely, or they're playing Carolina instead of Toronto. Not sure which one they'd prefer? 

Similar situation for your Caps with the Pens. Hope Ovi is back for Game 1. 

Nice to see some drama in the East after pretty much knowing the 8 for months. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

Hope Ovi is back for Game 1. 

It’s hopeless otherwise.  Headline in paper this morning:

“Capitals, slouching toward playoffs, look listless in loss to Islanders”

Other snippets:

“found themselves in a familiar early deficit and responded with barely a whimper, losing”

“the squad that appeared so formidable earlier this month continued to look bereft of any discernible identity.”

😆 that last part.  Beware the Blobs?!  😝 

5 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Normally, i would not even worry about the leafs....different feel this year.

Well then....

Let's see if that "different feel" translates to a "different result" on the ice! ;) 

I too have found this version of the Leaves® to be a bit more complete, however, due to their track record, they sit FIRMLY in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category as far as I am concerned.

They just gotta win a round, then I will be more convinced they aren't the same ol, same ol.

12 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Normally, i would not even worry about the leafs....different feel this year.

I don't think Bruins or Lightning fans have much to worry about regarding the Leafs. I love them but they've lost 5 straight series. A feat only accomplished two other times in playoff history. Technically, the Leafs haven't lost 5-in-a-row, as the loss to Columbus was a play-in not a playoff series.  Still, losing 5 series is no small sign of futility. 

Excited to see what comes out of tonight. The NYI/TBL game is staggered by 30 minutes. Be nice to see Boston win and Tampa tied, late. Big drama. 

The old nemesis or the back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions. 

As for the Caps, I hope they at least put up a fight vs. Florida. Would love to see Toronto finally escape Round 1 and then face Washington instead of Florida. The Caps got the Leafs in 6 when they're current run of playoff failure began. Would love to see them exorcise both the Caps and Bruins losses in the same playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Leafs ended up with the Lightning as we all know and this series looks like it is headed to go the distance. 

There are definitely things that lean towards the Lightning taking this series and one of those things is experience in the playoffs. One other thing is the Lightning D and Goalie. 

I do think home ice is going to be important as well and that has a slight advantage to the Leafs. I also think that the Leafs offense although the Lightning has a great offense will heat up and be the difference.

This series will go to game 7. 

9 minutes ago, Toronto Jules said:

The Leafs ended up with the Lightning as we all know and this series looks like it is headed to go the distance. 

There are definitely things that lean towards the Lightning taking this series and one of those things is experience in the playoffs. One other thing is the Lightning D and Goalie. 

I do think home ice is going to be important as well and that has a slight advantage to the Leafs. I also think that the Leafs offense although the Lightning has a great offense will heat up and be the difference.

This series will go to game 7. 

I hope you're wrong, but think you're right.  

The Leafs have been in 4 Game 5's in 7 game series since Matthews and Marner arrived.  All four of those games were decided by 1-goal. Leafs went 2-2 in those past Game 5's. The Game 5 vs. Columbus was a deciding game, in a play in series, and they got blanked. 

Will it hold? A 1-goal game will be hard on the hearts of Lightning fans like TFG and Leafs fans like me. Hoping for a blow out either way. Close games are fun but man are they "divert your eyes" in some moments. 

53 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

I hope you're wrong, but think you're right.  

The Leafs have been in 4 Game 5's in 7 game series since Matthews and Marner arrived.  All four of those games were decided by 1-goal. Leafs went 2-2 in those past Game 5's. The Game 5 vs. Columbus was a deciding game, in a play in series, and they got blanked. 

Will it hold? A 1-goal game will be hard on the hearts of Lightning fans like TFG and Leafs fans like me. Hoping for a blow out either way. Close games are fun but man are they "divert your eyes" in some moments. 

Close games do add to the amount of adult beverages that are consumed during the game. 🙃 Players such as Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly really need to step it up offensively. 

4 hours ago, Toronto Jules said:

Close games do add to the amount of adult beverages that are consumed during the game. 🙃 Players such as Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Rielly really need to step it up offensively. 

I don't drink, but, man, do the Leafs ever drive one that direction. 

Is JT in this series? The captain has abandoned ship. Something's really happened to him this season. I hope the old Toby Keith lyric (not a country guy) applies tomorrow night for him... 

I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Palmateers said:

I don't drink, but, man, do the Leafs ever drive one that direction. 

Is JT in this series? The captain has abandoned ship. Something's really happened to him this season. I hope the old Toby Keith lyric (not a country guy) applies tomorrow night for him... 

I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was."

I never count out the Captain. He is my favourite player and he will turn it up. I will than handle your share of the adult beverages.🤣

Edited by Toronto Jules
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:23 PM, Toronto Jules said:

I never count out the Captain. He is my favourite player and he will turn it up. I will than handle your share of the adult beverages.🤣

His ankle was really good in Game 5!  All hail JT's ankle! 😂

Beyond that he did impact the game so that was nice to see. Still, something has been off about him for quite some time. He looks sick to me. Pale. I hope there's nothing going on with him that's pretty serious but is being withheld. 

You believed in him. I counted him out. Hat tip to you. A big 2-point night when it was really needed. 

Let's hope he has more in him for Game 6. Losing game 6 will feel like losing the series to me given we haven't ever won one of those since JT's been here. 

3 hours ago, 3 Palmateers said:

His ankle was really good in Game 5!  All hail JT's ankle! 😂

Beyond that he did impact the game so that was nice to see. Still, something has been off about him for quite some time. He looks sick to me. Pale. I hope there's nothing going on with him that's pretty serious but is being withheld. 

You believed in him. I counted him out. Hat tip to you. A big 2-point night when it was really needed. 

Let's hope he has more in him for Game 6. Losing game 6 will feel like losing the series to me given we haven't ever won one of those since JT's been here. 

His ankle did look fine in game 5. 

Oh God, I hope he is not sick. I doubt that is the case or the doctors would not even risk the chances with him and let him play. Hell, if he is sick in any way I will volunteer to nurse him back to good health. 😊

I can never count him or really any of the Leafs players out especially the big ones. They always seem to bounce back at some point. 

I would love to see them wrap up the series in Tampa. It is going to be a very difficult task for sure because their backs are now up against the wall and they have to throw out all the stops to get this win. They will also have the crowd behind them which unless the Leafs get out to an early lead will be going crazy. 

I just saw a few minutes ago that Eichel played the last 6 weeks with a broken thumb. We had Zach Hyman playing almost 4 games of a playoff series vs. Boston on a torn ACL. I'm not saying JT is sick, just that he doesn't look well to me. 

Curious to see what fight is left in Tampa. Do they really want a 3rd straight Cup? Tough to go back-to-back and even harder to 3-peat. Losing Game 5 the way they did may have reduced their hunger for this. I guess we'll find out soon enough, if they'll come out like they did in Game 4 or Game 3. 

Leafs got very good fortune in Tampa not burying their chances in the 1st period last night. That game should've been out of reach but they kept missing Campbell being way out of position. I doubt that happens twice in a row and we can't forget about Tampa's ability not to lose 2 straight. Let's see if our beloved Leafs can flip that hardest of scripts. 

Kind of hope they don't. Worried about your adult beverage consumption if they do. 😉

Edited by 3 Palmateers

Players do play through injuries, but that is different from having some sort of illness that slows your entire body down and makes you have pretty much zero stamina. Playing if you feel like **** is horrible and I guess players have done it before, but hockey players are the toughest players in any sport and they do play through injuries all the time. Hell I have seen players get hit in the face by a puck in the game in one period and the next period they were back in the game all stitched up and maybe with a broken nose as well. 

I would have to say that Tampa still wants to win the cup and go for the 3rd one. Will losing game 5 the way they did being up 2-0 quickly in the 1st period and it could have been 4-0 easily that had to take a lot out of them. If I were them I would be more motivated to come out in game 6 and go all out, but we shall see. I don't think John Cooper as a coach is going to just have them sit back in game 6.

This is why the Leafs need to come out full force in period one and pepper the net with as many shots as they can. None of this 5 shots on goal in the period. Campbell and the D also need to be on their game. It is not going to be easy, but it can be done. 

During the week, I limit my adult beverage consumption because I have to work the next day. If the series goes to game 7 all bets are off and I might be blitzed for that game.  If the Leafs win the series especially in game 7 I plan on celebrating with friends. 

I saw some fans on Twitter speculating JT was never the same after COVID. Everyone is affected differently, so perhaps that is what his issue is. Of course, I have no idea, he just looks unwell to me. Not the same as he has in the past. 

Spezza better give the pre-game speech tomorrow night, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they needed a Clifford or Simmonds to set some tone tomorrow night. 

Hope you're celebrating with friends earlier than expected. I have to finagle watching all of this one. Hate that I have something that I should be doing instead over the next potential 2 games. 

This is it. Leafs are right there knocking on the door of a series win. Will they kick it in this time or walk away without the sale, again?