Red Wings fire Jeff Blashill

Detroit Red Wings won't renew head coach Jeff Blashill's contract

2:26 PM ET
  • ESPN

The Detroit Red Wings won't renew head coach Jeff Blashill's contract, Red Wings executive vice president and GM Steve Yzerman announced Saturday.

Detroit was 32-40-10 and won 39% of its games, barely faring better than last year's rate after bottoming out in Yzerman's first season by winning fewer than one-fourth of its games.

The Red Wings finished about 20 points ahead of the NHL's worst teams, however, they were nearly 30 points away from earning a wild-card berth in the playoffs.

Detroit's string of seasons without appearing in the playoffs stretched to six years after being in 25 straight postseasons and winning four Stanley Cups.

Blashill, who is 204-261-72, has said in recent days that he's wasn't worried about his future with the franchise and is proud of the improvements made this season.

Assistant coach Doug Houda and goaltending coach Jeff Saljko also did not have their contracts renewed.

I think Yzerman held onto him as long as he could, he provided a certain cohesion as the younger players developed.  My thoughts are they shoulda fired him last season and brought in Yzermans old linemate and best friend Gallant. There are lots of coaches available, I trust that a good solid hire will occur, but missing on Gallant hurt. Of course it is possible that Gallant turned down Stevie on the quiet, lets face it the Rangers were a lot further along on their rebound. Still he is gone and i am intriugued as to who the new coach will be.